Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back up camera unusable in rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have a Blackvue dashcam, (the front and) the rear camera live stream can be displayed using Wifi to any smartphone using the Blackvue App.

Since the rear Blackvue camera is inside the car, this camera is protected from the rain.

Best would be to redirect the Blackvue live stream to the Tesla 17" display, but simpler is to use any smartphone and find a place to keep it in place on the dashboard.

May be not the most elegant but works great.

Tesla-BlackVue-HD-WiFi-Dashcam-11.jpg

A1aauC-tGCL._SL1500_.jpg

Blackvue R100 .jpg

Note: Blackvue provides also a Rearview kit, replacing the need of a Smartphone.

http://www.blackvue.com/rearview-kit/

I don't live in the snow, so only have to deal with rain. I actually find that, though the image may be obscured with the water droplets, I can still use the camera for all my backing needs. I'm pretty good about wiping the lens when I plug in. So at least I am not getting several days worth of buildup on it. I love the idea of compressed air!

I don't live in the snow, so only have to deal with rain. I actually find that, though the image may be obscured with the water droplets, I can still use the camera for all my backing needs. I'm pretty good about wiping the lens when I plug in. So at least I am not getting several days worth of buildup on it. I love the idea of compressed air!
^^^^This. Including the compressed air.

I've crossed posted this in another thread. So don't go beating up on me for doing that. I admit to doing it, but it seemed so right to put it here too.

I called a NASCAR friend of mine and asked where they get the windshield tear-offs they used on the race cars. You know those they tear-off each time the car comes to the pit row. I then went to Office Depot and got a regular size hole puncher. I sat down and using the pack of tear-offs and hole puncher, I made 10 million miniature tear-offs for my rear camera. I usually peel the bottom sticky off the mini-tear-off and attach 30 to my rear camera each morning before I leave the garage. Now each time I pull up to a traffic light or into a parking lot, a member of my pit crew jumps out from the trunk and using a NASCAR certified and authorized pair of tweezers peels on mini-tear-off, sticks it in his pocket and jumps back in the trunk before the light turns green. It surely has made a difference for those times when I back into a parking space in the parking lot. I just can't get anyone willing to ride in the frunk to perform the mini-tear-off for my front mounted rear camera. It gets dirtier because its facing those bugs we meet head on.

I used some scuba goggle anti-fog as well as some clear toothpaste which work better than Rain-X for just water, but not a muddy .collection.
It leaves a thin film that breaks the surface tension of water drops, and keep the visualization pretty good.
The problem is it need to be re-applied after cleaning for dirt.

That is exactly what we need!
that would sure be better than the last lousy software update that lets you open the front and rear trunk remotely so you don't have to put your groceries down. I use my third & fourth arms to remove the phone from my pocket and work the app - while my other two arms hold the groceries.
I'll bet you wonder why I don't use those extra arms just to open the trunk. Or the fob

:p

Last edited:
Reactions: Mattzilla