TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Battery Charge Level Will Be Restricted. FML.

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by kwhftw, Oct 19, 2017.

1. kwhftw

kwhftw Member

Well this is a new one.

[​IMG]

Called Tesla and after diag they called me and told me they're sending a tow truck to come get it and take it to the nearest service center.

[​IMG]

so away our baby goes. tesla has been awesome to us the whole 100k ish miles we've had her. hopefully she comes back happy. haha!

anyone had this issue? looks like its main battery failure.

• Informative x 2
  2. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

I also assume it's the main battery pack problem.

I don't know how serious that error message is but the message itself doesn't sound serious enough.

Is the car driveable?

3. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

There are a couple threads reporting similar alerts. The main pack has required refurbishment in each instance. Causes vary from a failed seal allowing moisture to a failed module.

4. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

• Helpful x 1
  5. kwhftw

kwhftw Member

Terrible. At least Tesla has been awesome so far.

6. kwhftw

kwhftw Member

Yeah car was drivable but they told me don’t bother. Just sent the truck to get it. Main battery failure. Waiting for loaner pack.

7. anselor

anselor Member

Not the club I wanted to join but here I am. This was waiting for me this morning. Waiting for Tesla to call me back. 137633600254957188-account_id=1.jpg

• Informative x 1
  8. Naonak

Naonak Member

Yep, and since you have a classic pre-AP car, your battery pack will be... a very long time coming. On my 2012, I have had a loaner pack since January and no idea when I might get my replacement. Good luck!

• Informative x 3
  9. wcfinvader

wcfinvader Member

If you can even get a loaner pack. Our loaner pack failed at the beginning of the month and we still haven't received our car yet. Most likely it's a bad module. We had the same error message back in April and that was the cause according to Tesla. Click the link in my signature to learn more.

• Informative x 3
  10. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

My placement pack for my early '13 pre-AP "classic" was obtained and installed in a couple of days...

Had a 'B' pack, got a refurb 'D' pack.

• Informative x 2
  11. Cirrus MS100D

Cirrus MS100D Member

I still can't understand the logic behind "we'll give you a loaner pack while we fix your original one..." Why not just swap it out? Is there something special or specific to the packs that makes swapping them out permanently a major issue? Some sort of parts/consistency issue?

• Informative x 1
  12. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

The amount of supercharging ?

• Like x 1
  13. L-P-G

L-P-G Member

People are shitty and if you tell them "don't worry if it's broken we'll replace it" they'll treat their own pack like ass, charge to 100% all the time and then find a way to break their own pack and get it replaced right before their warranty is up.

• Like x 5
  14. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

#14 Canuck, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    It's going to be interesting to see what the costs are for this type of repair in 2020 -- when the first Model S battery warranties expire.

There's long threads over at the leaf forum about how to fast charge your battery with added heat, etc. (Leafs have no thermal cooling) to get it drop enough bars for battery replacement. I don't necessary blame those people as being "shitty" since Nissan did a major fail on not using thermal cooling. It's okay for the Pacific Northwest, but for Texas, Florida, etc, you can almost see the bars drop off when Chademo charging a hot battery on a hot day. Nissan deserves the class action lawsuit in my view.

I'm glad if my battery fails, I get my own repaired one back. I much prefer that than a pack from someone who set the slider to 100% daily and let the battery sit there, as some people here argue is just fine. Then his/her pack fails, gets refurbished, and I get it? No thanks. New or mine refurbished is what I want.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  15. aus

aus Member

How do you get this view on your dash?
    Thanks.

16. wcfinvader

wcfinvader Member

Easy...Get a Classic S. That's how it looks without autopilot.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  17. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Active Member

I had a loaner pack on my 2012 Sig that stayed installed for about 6 months. They said no problem, drive as much as you want on the loaner. Then when "my" pack came back (well it still had the same sticker on the outside....) it worked perfectly for the next 16 months or so before I traded it to Tesla on my late 2016 S90D.

Moral: don't worry, be happy! Tesla takes good care of owners but you have to help by being chill about their time to make it all right.

• Informative x 1
  18. kwhftw

kwhftw Member

well, nothing to update. i haven't heard from tesla since the day it got dropped off and my car is just chillin at the service center. no worries, give me a new pack! haha. just get my car to the point of a P120D release and we're good.

19. kwhftw

kwhftw Member

still on a loaner pack. i haven't heard anything in forever so who knows whats going on.

20. Fedderman

Fedderman Model S 85kWh (VIN 1732)

I just received the same message on my classic 85 this morning. The Tesla service contact told me it is a balance problem, and since I already have an annual service appointment next Tue, to keep driving it in the meantime. That seems inconsistent with what I just read in this thread, and it will no longer charge at all - it is down to 114 miles of range, set for 90%, and immediately after starting to charge it stops and says “charging complete”. Perhaps I need to drive it to the local service center tomorrow (assuming they are open Sat) and have someone check it out before I embark on a trip this weekend.