Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery cost MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given the large number of Teslas that are now on road it'll be interesting to see if some aftermarket suppliers start targeting us as the number of vehicles out of warranty increases over the years. Tesla is very territorial when it comes to parts and service but they might be forced to get more competitive at that point.

I drive a Model 3 LR with over 129k miles, so this topic interests me. I asked the local Tesla mobile service manager (who is also a Tesla owner and member of the local owners club) what he thought Tesla would charge to replace my pack if it went bad. He said it would just be a guess since no one has needed one, but probably around $15k. He was also quick to point out that these packs are very hearty and likely won’t need replacing for hundreds of thousands of miles. Capacity will degrade over time, but replacement is highly unlikely. He ran a diagnostic on my battery and said it is very healthy, showing no issues whatsoever.
I’ve been looking at this too, but more from the perspective of buying my first EV and trying to understand the potential liabilities down the road. If you look over at the Model S forum, you can find examples to show some of the older cars coming off warranty are ending up with expensive 20K repairs. There is also some anecdotal evidence that it isn’t all that rare for these older cars. Still, this is an issue that will need to be addressed if we are planning on eventually having EVs overtake ICE cars, because 20K is an unreasonable repair expense for an everyday car.

My current thinking is that the cost to repair or replace batteries will need to come way down in the future. The older out of warranty Model S cars were made when Tesla was manufacturing cars by the thousands. Now they are making them by the hundreds of thousands, and will probably surpass a million vehicles next year. Once a new 2022 Model Y needs out of warranty battery service, I have to believe there will be more options for lower cost battery service. A few years ago, Musk promised $5K-$7K battery module replacement for the 3. We’re not there yet, but I hope that (or cheaper) is where things are headed. Maybe it is just wishful thinking on my part, or rationalization on why I am about to spend a lot of money on a new EV.

Buy Accord or Camry and drive until they die which you will rarely see (if maintained properly). the total cost of ownership will be significantly lower than any EVs now.
I don't think that is true. There have been several articles that have explored this. For example:

I don't think that is true. There have been several articles that have explored this. For example:

Those articles do not accurately capture OP's specific situation
- Ultra High Mileage
- Battery degradation and warranty or potential out of warranty cost
- not yet proven long term reliability (no 10+ year old or over 500k mile Tesla cars)

There are a few examples of high mileage model S that can be used as examples. The newer battery technology should offer better longevity / less degradation.

Is their savings on gas and maintenance before or after the tax deductions on fuel and maintenance costs? Can a business write off the cost of a battery replacement out of warranty?
They operate a Tesla rental company so clearly the costs associated with acquisition and operating are business related, but that's largely immaterial to the point of these articles. The takeaways should be a) they have high mileage Teslas with some diminished battery capacity and NO out of pocket battery replacement costs due to complete failure and b) the comparative operating costs for their luxury ICE vehicles is substantially higher.