Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery cost MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive 50k miles per year. The warranty on the M3/MY is 100k to 120k miles. I would blow through that in two years. I called Tesla and asked how much a battery replacement would cost. The best they could say was, "We don't know." People have posted 25k bills for the MS. Any idea for the M3/MY??

The call ended with the rep telling me, "Maybe a Tesla isn't for you." Ugh.

That's what I was looking at initially. I found a 90D with 23k miles. The battery at full charge was 260 miles. That amount of battery degradation made me not buy the car. Tesla said 11% loss in 23k miles and four years was within specs...

I was hoping the MY would have a less expensive battery replacement and less degradation.

He told me, "Maybe this isn't the car for you." That is disconcerting. There is no extended warranty available like on the MS. Elon claims 500k on the long range and a million on the car, but decreased the warranty. He has tweeted 3k-8k probable cost, but nobody at Tesla will confirm.

If the car is 50k, and after two years, a battery is 25k, that's a significant expense. Besides Tesloop which isn't even in business, I would be a contender for the highest mileage Tesla if I had one. But, at what cost?!?

(I commute with a 2017 Prius Prime with 153k miles, and our 2007 Prius has almost 500k miles)

Nobody has tested it though. And if they are claiming that, why get rid of the 8 year/unlimited? If they have that kind of faith and are claiming those numbers, the warranty should reflect this to some extent.

Those are the tweets I referenced before. But, Tesla won't give you a number. If replacing the battery was 5k, this wouldn't be an issue. Half the cost of the car? That's an issue.

That's fair for that kind of mileage. At 23k, losing 11% seemed too high to me, especially since Tesla won't do anything unless it's under 30% of a loss. It didn't seem worth the risk with the car. It was a screaming deal too, 2016 90D in perfect condition with 23k for 45k. I do regret it a good half of the time. It was a hard decision.

Reactions: Mincerray
After 7.5 years our Model S 85 has 95% original capacity after 150000 km.
Just buy a long range EV and drive it.

Asking about battery replacement costs is silly, there are practically few examples of Tesla battery packs going bad just due to mileage alone.

Also agree to buy a used Tesla with some of the 8 year warranty remaining, that's what we did, going out of warranty in a few months, and not even a bit worried.

If it helps, I am down 6% with ~3000 miles :( Maybe by 20k ill be at the 20% number and they will give me a battery. that said, I am curious as well how much one would cost. Also curious if they will eventually put new batteries in the battery packs so maybe they will be cheaper/better???

I drive 50k miles per year. The warranty on the M3/MY is 100k to 120k miles.
I would blow through that in two years. I called Tesla and asked how much a battery replacement would cost.
The best they could say was, "We don't know." People have posted 25k bills for the MS.
Any idea for the M3/MY??
The call ended with the rep telling me, "Maybe a Tesla isn't for you." Ugh.
May be you could review: Model 3 Extended Warranty?

Do you replace engines and transmissions regularly now? Just buy a new car more often. 50k miles a year is not normal use case for most vehicles.

I have a Prius with 500k and a 2017 with 153k. I haven't replaced an engine or transmission on either.

At 60k a MY is not something that would be disposable to me. I'm not that wealthy that I could buy a new 60k+ car every few years.

If it helps, I am down 6% with ~3000 miles :( Maybe by 20k ill be at the 20% number and they will give me a battery. that said, I am curious as well how much one would cost. Also curious if they will eventually put new batteries in the battery packs so maybe they will be cheaper/better???

Surely you must be talking about your projected range being down 6%. I would be shocked if your battery will only charge to 94% max with only 3000 miles. Isn’t projected range and battery capacity two different issues?

Nobody has tested it though. And if they are claiming that, why get rid of the 8 year/unlimited? If they have that kind of faith and are claiming those numbers, the warranty should reflect this to some extent.

Those are the tweets I referenced before. But, Tesla won't give you a number. If replacing the battery was 5k, this wouldn't be an issue. Half the cost of the car? That's an issue.

When I bought my Model 3 two years ago I was driving 50k+ miles a year as well. Fuel savings was one of the things that attracted me to the car. Now, in the Covid world, I’m down to about 30k miles per year. My plan is to drive this car to 200k miles then replace it, very likely with another Tesla. FWIW my battery degradation (as measured by displayed miles when fully charged) is roughly 5% and I’m just over 91k miles on the car.

I shared your concerns about mystery battery replacement costs after the 120k mile warranty expired and did quite a bit of research before buying. What I finally determined is that I couldn’t find any examples of out of warranty battery replacements because they didn’t happen. Yes some S and X had to have replacements under the unlimited warranty, but those were very few and there were more examples of 250k+ mile cars on their original packs. basically the packs are really well engineered and should last a very, very long time.

So why did Tesla remove the unlimited miles from the warranty? For the same reason Toyota and others don’t offer unlimited miles on any engine or transmission warranty, because sooner or later everything fails. And once Tesla transitioned from a niche to a mainstream manufacturer in terms of volume, the liability of “unlimited” was simply too great. As I said before I’m at 91k miles and haven’t had any issues with this car other than routine maintenance, so basically tires.

I have seen threads with people quoting $25k for pack replacement but the devil is in the details. That may very well be the retail price of a pack, but that’s before a core credit (what Tesla gives you for returning your old pack to them) and any goodwill you can negotiate. As someone said, Elon has suggested modules (not full pack) will be $5k to $7k in the 3 or Y when, eventually, someone needs to replace one. So similar to the cost to rebuild an engine or transmission in an ICE if those fail. I’m very confident my car will are it to 200k miles and beyond without issue, and even if there is an issue that I’ll be able to work out a reasonably priced repair with Tesla. My advice to you would be...if you want and can afford a Tesla just buy it. Best car I’ve ever owned.

Surely you must be talking about your projected range being down 6%. I would be shocked if your battery will only charge to 94% max with only 3000 miles. Isn’t projected range and battery capacity two different issues?

So when I do a full charge, my car says it has a range of 270 miles, not 290 like it should. Projected range is different in that it basis it off your past diving habits. Its so funny, when I bought my car, the MY PUP had a range of 280, then mine went down to 270, then the update came out that was supposed to boost it to 290, mine went up to 280, now its back down to 270... Its very discouraging.