Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Degradation to less than 70%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it true that Tesla should replace a battery if it is no longer meeting 70% of its advertised range? Is this written anywhere? The Hawaii SC tech says he has never heard of this and has no idea what I'm talking about.

Has anyone had any luck getting a battery replaced on limited range when the battery otherwise tests as "within average" of other vehicles my age?

I have had the battery diagnosed at least twice in the last two months. Once while it was at the SC and the second time last week remotely.

I have a Signature Model S P85 with the original battery. I am getting between 180-185 miles rated miles on a full charge. The car says it charges to about 214 miles but then the depletes more quickly. I am still driving an average of 300 wt/mi which has remained consistent over the life of the car.

Over the last two or three months I have fully discharged and recharged the battery multiple times to try and recalibrate. Over that time, the only difference I have seen is a trending decrease from about 225 miles with a full charge 6 months ago.

You need to read this entire thread - it 100 percent applies to your situation

Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

No. Not for Model S and X..

Thanks for the replies. The car has about 104,000 miles on it.

I guess I'll stop beating on Tesla's door based on the 70% claim. I've been occasionally checking in on the class action movement. I'm actually unsure if I was downgraded with an update in June. I'm not receiving the OTA updates some of the guys in that thread are seeing.

Is it true that Tesla should replace a battery if it is no longer meeting 70% of its advertised range? Is this written anywhere? The Hawaii SC tech says he has never heard of this and has no idea what I'm talking about

No. Tesla has no lower limit on degradation for the S.

If you experienced a sudden drop in mileage around the 16.1 update back in May, then you're experiencing the software cap Tesla placed on your battery to keep you from fully charging it even though it shows 100% when it actually isn't.

If your in this camp, you should join the class action.

Even if you actually got the 214 rated that is displayed by keeping to the rated wh / mile for the rear wheel drive 85, you'd still be at 19% degradation in 100K miles. For comparison, I'm at 5% degradation in 100K miles but then again, I'm still on v8 from over a year ago.

I've even taken measures to prevent v9 from installing by removing my rear door handle fuse and unplugging my drivers seat motorized harness.

I will stay on v8 as long as Tesla keeps supporting the VPN connection.

Last edited: