Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery drains 3% within 24 hours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you check the app while the car is garaged, does it wake the car from sleep? Check randomly a couple of times over 24 hours.

Only other longshot suggestion is to run a charge to 91% (IIRC) to recalibrate BMS. Just once, unless you prefer this charge level.

Then see what Tesla service says

Last edited:
My month old MY does the same, loses about 3% overnight. Dashcam and sentry mode also off. It is in a carport and the temp has been in the high 50s.

This is something that the proponents don't talk about - having a "leak" in the gastank. Don't get me wrong, I love the car (and there's no spot on the gravel from the leaked fuel!)

Any source of info I can go to find out what the car is doing overnight? Is there a list of items that would use power that I could be looking at?

Reactions: ahcpa
Are you constantly checking? I know when I was (when I first got the car) it would drain quicker than it does now that I just let it sleep. I've heard different numbers but some say it takes 30 minutes to several hours for the car to go into deep sleep mode. Checking every 2-3 hours will just keep using unnecessary juice.

Anything that prevents the car from sleeping will cause this problem. The car consumes way less energy when sleeping. As byeLT4 points out, any time you launch the Tesla app on your phone you will wake the car up, and it won't sleep for the next ~hour or maybe more. The dashcam functionality will not cause issues, but Sentry mode will keep the car alive so it can do what you're asking it for which is monitoring. The other common culprit is Smart Summon. You can turn that option off in the car, if you have it (if you have FSD).

Reactions: Tres_Azul
I see roughly 5km of range loss per day if I don't use my car (model 3). It's sitting in a garage and sleeping the major part of those 24 hours. That's ~1% battery, which is around 0.75kWh, or 750Wh. That would mean the car consumes around 30W constantly, which is pretty low and in line with many other reports, Bjorn, etc. Losing ~2 miles would be in that same ballpark, it sounds normal to me.

The reports of a 3% drop are fairly anecdotal, and in some cases it has turned out to be a software flaw that affected only certain users.

In order to assess the real energy usage:
1) Charge battery to whatever limit you have set
2) Plug in a watt meter to a 120v extension cord
3) Plug the UMC into the watt meter
4) Record the time
5) Check back 24 hours later, record the kwh measurement

Watt Meter: https://www.amazon.com/Electricity-Monitor-Voltage-Overload-Protection/dp/B07DPJ3RGB
You will need a short extension cord to keep the plug from falling out the socket
https://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Jacket-2882-Available-Extension

I would NOT recommend doing this for actually charging the battery, but it should be find for keeping it topped off.

The amount that it charges will show you exactly how much it is using, including any losses due to inefficient charging.

3% is a lot, I left the Model 3 for a week and it lost only 1-3%. I was worried about all these 3% per-day anecdotes, but I've never seen it.

TeslaFi does not do anything with the cell phone. It has a deficiency where you might start a drive in the period where it is leaving the car so it tries to sleep. It's something I have tried to fix myself. I wanted to "unfreeze" TeslaFi when I drive, automating a REST API call from Tasker. I was never successful. I *think* that Stats might be more intelligent... maybe it somehow detects that it's close to the car andf it starts talking to the Tesla Api. Try uninstalling Stats to see if you still get that behavior.

Took the suggestion about hooking up a watt meter (on 120v service) and steadfastly restrained from checking on the app for 24 hours. No driving.

The results show that the car used 4.65Kwh in that time period. Equates to about 6% loss.

AWD non-performance MY. VIN 48XXX. Took delivery Sept. 30. Approx 1100 miles. 2 supercharger uses, charged at home to 99% twice before immediately driving.

Charge level set to 73%.
Standby summons is off
Sentry mode is off
Dashcam is off
Environmental controls are off

Parked in a covered carport, exposed to outside temp, which was around 30 deg for most of the 24 hours.

My question is - is this normal? Did the 30deg temp impact the consumption? Does the car maintain a certain battery pack temp?

thanks for any insight.

Parked in a covered carport, exposed to outside temp, which was around 30 deg for most of the 24 hours.

My question is - is this normal? Did the 30deg temp impact the consumption? Does the car maintain a certain battery pack temp?

thanks for any insight.
I believe so. I'm still collecting data, but it appears my battery pack temp is staying 8F above my garage temp. I don't think it's residual heat from charging it driving since it's parked 15 hours and charging finished 10 hours prior to taking the measurements.

The data from the CAN bus has these 2 fields (at the bottom). I'm trying to figure out what they are. I think the active heat is what temp it wants the battery pack to be when driving, passive heat when not driving. I finished a 60 mile drive and my battery temps were 84F once it reached normal operating temps.

Attachments

• 20201031_163133.jpg
    20201031_163133.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 134