Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Range - 3 years in.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2012 version "A" 85 kW pack was 242 at 90%, now 222 with about 52,000 miles on the pack. Model S Signature P85.

Original 100% charge was 265. Last time about 6 months ago was 250.

Lots of threads on this already, but here goes with my numbers:

Feb 2013 build S85 with A-pack. When new, 240 Rated @ 90% and 265 rated at 100 %. Today, almost 3 years and 65,000 miles it's 220 Rated @ 90% and 246 Rated at 100%.

I'm a little surprised to be honest. For 3 years and 30k miles that's exceptionally good. Almost too good to be true. I have kept close records of my battery and could clearly see a gradual drop in range over time/use. My lifetime usage is very close to yours (320 Wh/m). I have twice as many miles, but my car is only half as old. It shows that time alone isn't much of a factor, but mostly use (cycles). My loss is aprox 6-7%.

There are some cars that are getting very, very good numbers (mine is an example, see Displayed Range and Seasonality for more information). And there are some that are seeing more degradation than I would expect.

In fact, if you look at my first graph there, my original 85 kWh, single-motor rev-"A" pack with 19,000 miles had been down to 224 miles or so at 90% by Feb, 2014, when the contactors failed. At the end of February, a refurbished "D" pack (again 85 kWh, single motor) was installed. Since then - 48,000 miles and nearly 2 years later - the car still charges to 238/239 miles in the summer at 90%.

Linear regression calculates that the car is losing 1.5 miles per year using the data (over 10,000 data points from nearly 2 years).

(There is some apparent temperature affect on the rated range that's displayed, see that thread.)

It is possible, if you collect the data from the API, to get the car's rated range value to hundredths of a mile, so in theory you could measure it to sub-percent levels.

that's great, though I have no idea how you can calculate to the 0.01% mark given the non-specificity of the range meter. That's surprisingly good, most of the rest of us at 3 years are seeing much more range loss than that. I started at 242 miles 90% and am now seeing around 225 miles for the 90%--albeit there have been a number of firmware updates that factor into the rated range as well.

My 3 year old baby is almost exactly the same as yours, about 225 miles at 90%.

My 3 year old baby is almost exactly the same as yours, about 225 miles at 90%.

I'm right about there as well... actually I typically only see about 222-223 @ 90%, but I only do that on weekends, it's 70% typically during the week, and I rarely get it below 30% on daily basis.

If I have additional travel going on and I charge to 90% several days in a row, and/or discharge the pack further on the bottom end, the range creeps back up to about 225.

This is on my ~2.5 yr old S85 with 61K on the clock.

Did you guys happen to remember what your 100% charge was?

On my first "A" battery, I don't recall the car ever showing above 265 (but keep in mind that was in 3.x days, the algorithm is far far different now). This particular "D" battery's maximum was 268.47 miles on March 16, 2014.

My battery reached a range of 267.80 miles on May 17, 2015, the peak of the season this year.

should I be concerned?
My 90% on a new December 2105 85D is 227 miles.

I was expecting considerably more.
Temps around here 10-15C/50-60F so not particularly hot or cold.

It will become a particular issue for me if the range drops significantly from now on.

Not bad for a 2013. 90% is 240 miles.
2T9jzVE.jpg