Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery range degradation graph - 22 MYLR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand that degradation is normal during the first 5-10k miles but just curious if others saw a similar trend.

Until about 6.5k miles, the range was around 326 miles, and only in a couple of weeks following that, it went down to 312 miles. I recall three things that happened right around that time - installed 2022.24.6 firmware, installed TParts data transmission module, and drove around for several hours in heavy traffic in SF during the CA heat wave with A/C on full blast. I had only supercharged the car 3 times before this downward trend started.

Again, not complaining about the battery degradation, but wondering if others saw a similar trend.

Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 7.35.01 AM.png

Looks suspiciously like the curve from my MS when I got it new in 6/19, especially that drop-off at around 6800 miles and around the time of a software update. I contacted Tesla twice about it and they mostly blamed BMS inaccuracies and insisted that my battery was fine. Now a few years later I think they were correct. I still get about 315 miles (335 originally) with 57k miles on the car and a good bit of supercharging. V3 charge rates peak at about 190kW, so I no longer worry.

That looks "normal" to me. Sometimes it'll spike down, sometimes it might spike back up. Consider mine, over almost 3 years:
1665157567327.png

Kilometers, not miles. It's possible that some of my downward spikes match software updates, it's possible that the calculation logic changes, but I cannot say for sure. Upwards changes might correspond with moments where I decided to apply the "method" that recovers part of the lost range as described in another thread. Sometimes it happens because I do a road trip so I spend some time down low SOC and some time at 95%SOC before I leave from home. I would say don't worry unless it starts going down like crazy.

Also does charging to 100% has any affect on battery performance?

Any recommendations
If you have a regular LI-Ion battery pack, recommendations are simple
1. For daily driving try to keep the battery charge level in the range between 20% and 80%.
2. For the road trips - you can charge to 100% if needed. As well as during the road trip coming to supercharge at low state of charge, is fine. No issues at all with that
3. Keep your car plugged in when parked whenever possible.

Reactions: alexcue
Sentry mode is not your friend on this. Check out this thread. Basically the battery management needs to see an open circuit, when the contactor is open for a period of time and this should be done at different State of Charges. Something to do overnight at home if you don't need sentry mode on.

If the graph is based solely on the number of miles estimated by the car, it's not a terribly helpful graph and not indicative of degradation. That estimate varies wildly based on the BMS and isn't actually indicative of actual range. A few days of high charge to low discharge usually results in a higher estimate on the guess-o-meter.

Reactions: RNHurt
If the graph is based solely on the number of miles estimated by the car, it's not a terribly helpful graph and not indicative of degradation. That estimate varies wildly based on the BMS and isn't actually indicative of actual range. A few days of high charge to low discharge usually results in a higher estimate on the guess-o-meter.
This is not based on the "estimated range" which changes based on how efficiently you drove the last 5-15-30 miles but rather based on the rated range which should not be impacted by factors other than degradation or BMS calibration (I guess what you are calling the guess-o-meter).

I am seeing the similar (and expected) degradation as the OP. I keep my 2022 MYLR plugged in and charged to 90% and I've lost about 4.5% range over the first 9,000 miles according to the percentage/range meter.

For the first 4,500 miles or so, my range at 90% charge was 297 miles, which would extrapolate to 330 miles @100%. After a 1,000-mile round trip with 7 supercharger stops, I had 289 miles of range for 90% charge (321 miles @100%) at 5,500 miles. Over the next ~2,500 miles, the 90% range reduced to 281 miles of range (312 miles @100%) and after making the same 1,000-mile trip last week, the 90% range went up a bit to 284 miles (314 miles @100%) with 9,200 miles on the odometer.

I get a similar result from using the battery capacity calculation from this thread. I've gone from 78.5kWh usable (at the 330-mile range) to 76.3 to 75.0 at present.

I understand that degradation is normal during the first 5-10k miles but just curious if others saw a similar trend.

Until about 6.5k miles, the range was around 326 miles, and only in a couple of weeks following that, it went down to 312 miles. I recall three things that happened right around that time - installed 2022.24.6 firmware, installed TParts data transmission module, and drove around for several hours in heavy traffic in SF during the CA heat wave with A/C on full blast. I had only supercharged the car 3 times before this downward trend started.

Again, not complaining about the battery degradation, but wondering if others saw a similar trend.

View attachment 861091
what app is this chart from?

This is not based on the "estimated range" which changes based on how efficiently you drove the last 5-15-30 miles but rather based on the rated range which should not be impacted by factors other than degradation or BMS calibration (I guess what you are calling the guess-o-meter).
I am not talking about the estimated range which is shown in the graph app, which IS based on the last 5-15-30. I'm specifically talking about the miles that are displayed on the battery when you change it from % to miles. That's not an accurate estimate of how many miles your battery can drive and, as I initially posted, varies wildly based on BMS calibration. If I was to chart THAT number, over time, I'd have a graph showing a slope that went UP occasionally.

I'm at 5,910 miles, and I'm at 6.4% degradation. I'm sure this is fine, but seeing the Tessie chart with other cars in the fleet compared to mine does look scary lol.

I did recently do a 100% charge for cell balancing and have left the car uncharged the past few days to let the BMS sleep and calibrate and different SOC's, with no change.

2022 Model Y Performance.

IMG_1619.PNG