Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Warranty not unlimited miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It says 8 years or unlimited miles. Why even put the 8 years part? How could that apply. What am I missing.
There are at least a few 200K miler marathon drivers that purchased about 4 years ago ... don't know if that was necessarily too early for the infinite warranty to arise. Didn't that only come about due to early models with loud/whiny motors?

Reactions: Kacey Green
That line of thinking goes against Elon's tweet about the warranty though.
Not sure what tweet your'e referring to, but the unlimited drive unit warranty was a direct result of Tesla's shitty drive units. Tesla even attempted to squelch owners who were publicly discussing the drive unit issue back in 2013 and 2014. Gerome Guillen, then VP of Worldwide Sales and Service, sent me an email somewhat chastising me over making public comments relating to the drive unit problems. Tesla was in full freak-out mode even though they may not have broadcast that image to the public.

Not sure what tweet your'e referring to, but the unlimited drive unit warranty was a direct result of Tesla's shitty drive units. Tesla even attempted to squelch owners who were publicly discussing the drive unit issue back in 2013 and 2014. Gerome Guillen, then VP of Worldwide Sales and Service, sent me an email somewhat chastising me over making public comments relating to the drive unit problems. Tesla was in full freak-out mode even though they may not have broadcast that image to the public.
"In hindsight, this should have been our policy from the beginning of the Model S program... If we truly believe that electric motors are fundamentally more reliable than gasoline engines, with far fewer moving parts and no oily residue or combustion byproducts to gum up the works, then our warranty policy should reflect that."

From this quote, it outwardly appears that tesla doesn't believe this of the Model 3 motors/batteries.

From this quote, it outwardly appears that tesla doesn't believe this of the Model 3 motors/batteries.
That's quite concerning to me that Tesla does not offer an extended DU warranty similar to its extended battery warranty. I've had four DU replacements, the last of which occurred just over a year ago and just as I was hitting the 50,000 mile warranty mark. It took Tesla three years to figure out how to make a DU that would last more than 15,000 miles without making a racket. This alone makes me think twice about taking delivery of a Model 3 until its drive unit has been out in the wild for at least a couple of years.

Model 3 has all newly designed drive units. As with anything that Tesla redesigns, there are always design flaws because Tesla doesn't do the type of exhaustive testing that other vehicle manufacturers perform. The Model 3 DUs also contain permanent magnets, which is a different design than Model S/X. Even though Model 3 is a "third generation" vehicle according to Musk, it's using the first generation of a new drive unit platform. There will almost certainly be problems because Tesla is not exactly known for quality and reliability.

That's quite concerning to me that Tesla does not offer an extended DU warranty similar to its extended battery warranty. I've had four DU replacements, the last of which occurred just over a year ago and just as I was hitting the 50,000 mile warranty mark. It took Tesla three years to figure out how to make a DU that would last more than 15,000 miles without making a racket. This alone makes me think twice about taking delivery of a Model 3 until its drive unit has been out in the wild for at least a couple of years.

Model 3 has all newly designed drive units. As with anything that Tesla redesigns, there are always design flaws because Tesla doesn't do the type of exhaustive testing that other vehicle manufacturers perform. The Model 3 DUs also contain permanent magnets, which is a different design than Model S/X. Even though Model 3 is a "third generation" vehicle according to Musk, it's using the first generation of a new drive unit platform. There will almost certainly be problems because Tesla is not exactly known for quality and reliability.
In their defense, many of the initial drive unit failures were due to a greasing problem that was later solved by having the work done by machine.

Reactions: Kacey Green
I just do not understand the "sky is falling" view of some posters here on this topic. No one is forcing you or anyone to buy a Model 3 or any Tesla vehicle. There will be 1M+ buyers over the next few years who will purchase the Model 3 regardless of whether it has the current or a future better DU warranty and despite many Model 3 flaws, just like the iPhones have many flaws. Those buyers will be more than willing to take on the extra financial risk of a less than amazing DU warranty. You either want it or you don't. The Model 3 will not be within financial reach for most buyers.

I just do not understand the "sky is falling" view of some posters here on this topic. No one is forcing you or anyone to buy a Model 3 or any Tesla vehicle. There will be 1M+ buyers over the next few years who will purchase the Model 3 regardless of whether it has the current or a future better DU warranty and despite many Model 3 flaws, just like the iPhones have many flaws. Those buyers will be more than willing to take on the extra financial risk of a less than amazing DU warranty. You either want it or you don't. The Model 3 will not be within financial reach for most buyers.

If this is directed to me, I simply posted that given the past history of Tesla's drive train problems if the Model 3 warranty is as posted I will not be completing my two purchases. Why does that bother you so much that you must use hyperbole like "the sky is falling"? Do you really think saying Tesla is not forcing anyone to buy a Model 3 adds anything to the discussion?

One thing that attracted me to Tesla was the potential for a long-lived and trouble free drive train. I do not want to deal with getting drive train repairs done (either at my dime or Tesla's) especially when the nearest service center is a 7 hour round trip. If Tesla offered a strong drive train warranty, I would be confident that would not be the case. I apologize if my decision makes you uncomfortable.

I will add the following information that I think all posters should provide so my motives are clear.

1. I have no stock in Tesla or any options on Tesla stock and never have had.
2. I have no stock in any automotive or fossil fuel companies and never have had.

This is extremely relevant to me. I drive a lot for my work and do will like the miles on my next car. I would be spending more (by a lot) on a model 3 than I've ever spent on a car. One of the ways I justified it was the 8year unlimited Mile drive train warranty. In my mind i was paying the same as two cars and with the warranty it was like getting two cars. With the limited mile warranty on the 3 I'm looking at trying to find a low mileage late model CPO S in the same price range.

Reactions: JeffK
The drive unit includes the battery, motor, gearbox and inverter:
Tesla Model S Drive Unit Replacement by the Numbers

If the ESA doesn't cover these for 8 years and for at least 160k, I may hesitate to push through with the Model 3 purchase. I doubt any independent shop can service the drive unit and it will likely be costly outside of the warranty period.

Anyone know why dual motors were less plagued by the DU issues?
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/6e936s/current_state_of_drive_unit_noise_issues/

Reactions: sorka
The drive unit includes the battery, motor, gearbox and inverter:
Tesla Model S Drive Unit Replacement by the Numbers

If the ESA doesn't cover these for 8 years and for at least 160k, I may hesitate to push through with the Model 3 purchase. I doubt any independent shop can service the drive unit and it will likely be costly outside of the warranty period.

Anyone know why dual motors were less plagued by the DU issues?
Current state of drive unit noise issues? • r/teslamotors

Posters are stating that the Model 3 has a separate battery warranty and the rest of the drive train is included in warranty for the rest of the vehicle.

• Helpful
Reactions: internalaudit
Because Tesla learned what went wrong on the old large motors and designed the new small "dual" motors to not have the same problems.

This was mainly the pitting of the bearings over time, correct?

If this is the case (and the new motors are 99% reliable), I would have expected Tesla to keep the drive train unit for the Model 3 at 8-year unlimited mileage, the same as the warranty on the S and X. This would obliterate a lot of Bolt and Leaf sales.

This was mainly the pitting of the bearings over time, correct?

If this is the case (and the new motors are 99% reliable), I would have expected Tesla to keep the drive train unit for the Model 3 at 8-year unlimited mileage, the same as the warranty on the S and X. This would obliterate a lot of Bolt and Leaf sales.

Exactly! And if they really solved the issue, it shouldn't add to their cost to provide that peace of mind on an unproven technology(in this particular application).