Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Warranty not unlimited miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To sum up:

S&X:
Battery: 8 years unlimited miles
Drive unit: 8 years unlimited miles
Everything else: 4 years 50k miles

3:
Battery: 8 years 100k miles (short range), 8 years 120k miles (long range)
Drive unit: 4 years 50k miles
Everything else: 4 years 50k miles

IMO, the DU should match the warranty of the battery to be consistent with Teslas power train warranty. They refurbish almost all of these units so it really doesn't cost them that much to replace DUs.

Reactions: Kacey Green
I am very surprised this is not at the top of the boards. I thought having unlimited miles on the model S is HUGE, not sure of the X is like this or not.

I don't think it's a big deal at all. It was originally done when Tesla's viability (and electric cars in general) was a lot more questionable. Keep in mind the S was the first truly long range electric vehicle in mass production and with stories of Fisker Karma battery failures combined with the $40,000 replacement cost for the S's battery and emerging drive unit issues, it was a move to give people confidence in their purchase.

But it's also a move that's no longer needed. We take the low degradation rates for granted today. Back then it was much more of an unknown. With a history of industry leading degradation rates, it's a needless liability to offer up a warranty at that scale. I'm fine with it. I'd certainly prefer 8 years and unlimited miles but I've not come to expect it.

The drivetrain warranty is interesting and I didn't catch that on the release. I was probably just assuming that it would have the same warranty as the S/X. I am interested in the 3 for my wife when her warranty is up on her Hyundai. We jumped ship on previous Ford products after the first one had transmission failure around a thousand miles after warranty expired and had to eat the cost on trade in. Her second Ford starting acting up around 30k miles and we immediately traded it in even though it had quite a bit of warranty left because we were about to go on several long trips and didn't want any problems. The 10 year 100k warranty on the Hyundai was the deciding factor on what manufacturer we went with. 26k miles in 14 months already on the Hyundai so we drive the car for sure.

The drivetrain warranty is interesting and I didn't catch that on the release. I was probably just assuming that it would have the same warranty as the S/X. I am interested in the 3 for my wife when her warranty is up on her Hyundai. We jumped ship on previous Ford products after the first one had transmission failure around a thousand miles after warranty expired and had to eat the cost on trade in. Her second Ford starting acting up around 30k miles and we immediately traded it in even though it had quite a bit of warranty left because we were about to go on several long trips and didn't want any problems. The 10 year 100k warranty on the Hyundai was the deciding factor on what manufacturer we went with. 26k miles in 14 months already on the Hyundai so we drive the car for sure.

I have seen quite a few posts with people having issues with Hyundai honoring that warranty. Many people have posted that Hyundai always claim some other part which wasn't part of the power train warranty failed, and that part caused the power train failure to happen so they didn't honor the warranty.

Personally, I know my brother took his Genesis in for warranty service and it was a total disaster. So I'm not sure if the additional power train warranty on a Hyundai is worth it. Hopefully you don't have to find out.

I know all the nightmare stories about Hyundai warranties and service eliminated that brand off my list when I was looking to buy a Hybrid a couple of years ago.

Doesn't surprise me at all.

The Leaf really caused problems with people mistrusting batteries on EVs. My buddy's went down 50% in one year and Nissan wouldn't warranty it (seems it was on a case-by-case basis and his dealer was an ***).

And yes, Hyundai gives a ton of people problems when they try to warranty something.

The 8 yr/100,000 or 120,000 is a pretty standard amount.

My Honda extended warranty (from the factory, not 3rd party) is 8yr/120,000 mi. I can't find any better. So, I didn't expect the Model 3 to be any better since this is a much lower margin than the S/X. If Supercharger isn't free, I can't see how you could expect the battery to have an unlimited warranty. I'm about to hit that mileage limit and I'm only in year 5. Still, 120,000 miles is a lot of miles.

I am very surprised this is not at the top of the boards. I thought having unlimited miles on the model S is HUGE, not sure of the X is like this or not.
Man
Seriously

Y'all have to see it for the 35K it is. It ain't a Model S and a lot things have to give to meet price point.

The more it doesn't have compared with Model S the better the value for Model S

People routinely drive 22,500 miles/year in SoCal. It's called a commute, plus a couple of road trips for flavor if they're lucky. They then run out of their 36,000 mile warranty (e.g., Honda) in less than 2 years of ownership.

I drive upwards of 30,000 miles/year. 100,000 miles to me is about 3 years.

On the other hand, there's much less value to me in a 3-year old Tesla. I wouldn't consider owning one out of warranty, and there will be enough improvements in the hardware alone 3 years hence that it will make sense to get another one anyway.

As with laptops, at some point the curve flattens. But for now, today, my advice to ALL prospective owners is to seriously consider a mid-mileage CPO AP1 Model S with included supercharging for $45K or so (yes, they will go fast) until the dust settles. Drive it to 100,000 miles, and then load up with a new Model 3 or S/X/Y in 2019/2020, when presumably we'll have more mature/any FSD plus some other overdue features - including but not limited to HUD, 360-degree view, in-car hotspot, side camera stalks instead of side mirrors, and the list goes on.

I like the Model 3 to an extent - but there's exactly nothing in it that makes me think it's any better *today* either in value or features than a CPO AP1 Model S which has the depreciation mostly accounted for at the aforementioned price point.

Show me stop sign reaction (as opposed to just recognition), the same for traffic lights, and the return of 2nd car recognition and speed limit sign recognition and I might feel differently - but not much, and certainly not at this time - now 8 months into 2017.

I have seen quite a few posts with people having issues with Hyundai honoring that warranty. Many people have posted that Hyundai always claim some other part which wasn't part of the power train warranty failed, and that part caused the power train failure to happen so they didn't honor the warranty.

Personally, I know my brother took his Genesis in for warranty service and it was a total disaster. So I'm not sure if the additional power train warranty on a Hyundai is worth it. Hopefully you don't have to find out.

I know all the nightmare stories about Hyundai warranties and service eliminated that brand off my list when I was looking to buy a Hybrid a couple of years ago.
I will fill you in on all the Hyundai details if you want it. Basics - took a year and half to get my engine fixed under the 10yr/100k powertrain warranty (started having issues at 53,000 miles) and I had also bought the highest available extended warranty. Sure you are covered but good luck getting any of their techs to admit there's an issue. However to their "credit", it did get fixed eventually and I paid nothing out of pocket.

Edit: According to Hyundai there is nothing wrong with your engine sounding like this:

I was a bit disappointed when I first read the warranty numbers for Model 3. Tesla is known for their 8 yr unlimited mile warranty. I mean even the phrase "unlimited mile warranty" sounds impressive. Putting a milage on it now just makes it seem like they have less faith in their product. If the Tesla FSD network existed today your car would rack up those miles pretty quickly like a taxi.

Consider that a NYC taxi according to Google drives 70,000 miles per year. So in this case your warranty is up before the end of two years.
Granted, the warranty is still better than most manufacturers, don't get me wrong. It's just a little disappointing to see them go back to the traditional auto manufacturer approach. :(

If the Tesla FSD network existed today your car would rack up those miles pretty quickly like a taxi.

Maybe every Tesla Network mile extends your warranty by a mile.

Or maybe you just have to buy the Tesla Network extended warranty. Or maybe the drive train is really going to be good for a million miles and we are just worrying about nothing. ;)

200k on the drivetrain & battery would've assuaged the most reasonable fears.

And the extra warranty on the LR feels shady. What car manufacturer changes your warranty depending on what engine you bought? Is this a thing? I don't think this is a thing.

And it makes you wonder. Are they cutting the batteries that close that 20k more miles makes a financial difference in warranty repair expenses?

They would only decrease the warranty if they felt like the cost-savings would be worth it. So for Standard, they've crossed some actuarial barrier at 100k.

This was slightly disappointing. Oh, well.

200k on the drivetrain & battery would've assuaged the most reasonable fears.

And the extra warranty on the LR feels shady. What car manufacturer changes your warranty depending on what engine you bought? Is this a thing? I don't think this is a thing.

No, it is more like changing your warranty based on the size of your gas tank. ;)

Tesla changed the warranty on the S after it was launched, so they could decide to change it for the 3 if they wanted to.

I wonder if the Model 3 warranty covers all vehicle fires like the S does....