Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Deal I have found for winter tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the difference between the R2 and the R3? I tried to figure it out but only ran into a bunch of marketing mumbo jumbo. I know the R3 is newer, but don't know what the difference is.

Reading through the marketing material they claim the R3 has a lower rolling resistance (up to 5%) compared to the R2. Visually the tread pattern is different which may contribute to that lowered resistance.

What's the difference between the R2 and the R3? I tried to figure it out but only ran into a bunch of marketing mumbo jumbo. I know the R3 is newer, but don't know what the difference is.

Based on my chat with the guy as Kal Tire, he said:
- R3 are new for this year
- R2's have been top sellers for many years now with very high ratings, so the fact they have a new version says that Nokian must be pretty confident about the changes
- one likely change is for increased durability - he says the biggest negative of R2's was they were reported to not last as long as other winter tires (although he seemed a bit skeptical of this claim about R2's - i.e. people had unrealistic expectations on how long winter tires are supposed to last)

Any experience between these two tires? I always hear about the X Ice being great, just wanted to know compared to the Continental.

Thanks

P235/45R18 CONTINENTAL WINTER CONTACT SI
P255/45R18 MICHELIN X ICE XI3 WINTER
I've had X-ice on my last 2 cars, they last forever. Did not affect EV range as much as I expected, and would recommend them. I'm still on the fence about using them in the 3 or going with the Nokians. I have read they are better on ice then snow, so maybe the Nokians are better for snow. Not sure about the continental.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
Kal Tire updated me on the status of the R3s as there was a small issue with my order but it has been fixed.

All sets allocated to their location has been sold and there are only 4 sets in reserve right now from Saskatchewan. If anyone wants to order them, there would be a $25 freight charger per tire. (if I remember correctly)

However, they said they are putting in another order from Nokian and are hopeful they will get more in stock before the winter season starts.
Was this at Kal Tire in Vaughn? I am looking to get a set and will be calling them tomorrow.

Does anyone know how knowledgeable (or not) tire shops like Kal Tire are about the specific jack points for Teslas? The owners manual is very specific about only jacking at the designated points, causing damage to the battery if done incorrectly. That makes me a bit nervous...

Reactions: dani190
I was doing a bit more research tonight and found this video - good description of what's new with the R3:

Skip to 2m16s if you want to save time.

Has a Model X testing them out, too! :)

Ok they’ve got back to me the price is for everyone and they have other good deals, it’s http://automotiveimportmarket.com/

• DUNLOP GRASPIC DS-3 (older model on clearance special) $588 including tax and labor
  • DUNLOP WINTER SPORT 4D $1038 including tax and installation (in stock special - regular $1428)
  • MICHELIN XICE XI3 $1338 including tax and installation
  • PIRELLI WINTER SOTTO ZERO W240 $1346 including tax and installation
  • Hakka R3 $1268 including tax and installation
Lmk how it goes I’ve done other rims and tires with them came out great.

Does anyone know how knowledgeable (or not) tire shops like Kal Tire are about the specific jack points for Teslas? The owners manual is very specific about only jacking at the designated points, causing damage to the battery if done incorrectly. That makes me a bit nervous...

I asked about this at the Kal Tire in Vaughan and they were familiar with the specific lifting instructions and points, they have experience from Model S/X.

I would make sure to talk to the technician before they work on your car and show them specifically where they need to lift with a screenshot from the manual.

Reactions: marcn
Ok they’ve got back to me the price is for everyone and they have other good deals, it’s http://automotiveimportmarket.com/

• DUNLOP GRASPIC DS-3 (older model on clearance special) $588 including tax and labor
  • DUNLOP WINTER SPORT 4D $1038 including tax and installation (in stock special - regular $1428)
  • MICHELIN XICE XI3 $1338 including tax and installation
  • PIRELLI WINTER SOTTO ZERO W240 $1346 including tax and installation
  • Hakka R3 $1268 including tax and installation
Lmk how it goes I’ve done other rims and tires with them came out great.

Thanks for this tip. I spoke to Max and put down deposit for the Hakka R3’s. Comes to $265 + $15 install = $280 per tire + taxes

I would make sure to talk to the technician before they work on your car and show them specifically where they need to lift with a screenshot from the manual.

Since early 2013, I have kept the following pages printed from the Owners manual and laminated in my car: Frunk closing instructions (keep that one in the frunk), The page with the Lifting instructions and the page with the flatbed towing instructions. Whenever I take the car in for tire service, I leave the Lifting instructions page right on the driver's seat. It also has the touchscreen steps to raise the car and put in Jack Mode which could possibly be missed by the technician.