Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Better Blindspot Approach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I much preferred the amber light on the side mirrors of my previous Audi. For a start, the side camera image should be near the top of the screen, even if it temporarily covers speed info etc.

Fairly sure that'd be illegal (covering the speedometer)

Upper right would be possible I suppose.

I
I too would prefer a unique audible alert if a car is in my blind spot.

There is one if your turn signal is on and you actually attempt to change lanes at all (and have this alert activated- I posted directions to do so earlier in the thread)

Playing an audible alert EVERY time a car was in your blind spot, even if you're going straight, would be incredibly annoying.

Fairly sure that'd be illegal (covering the speedometer)

Upper right would be possible I suppose.

There is one if your turn signal is on and you actually attempt to change lanes at all (and have this alert activated- I posted directions to do so earlier in the thread)

Playing an audible alert EVERY time a car was in your blind spot, even if you're going straight, would be incredibly annoying.
I agree that it would likely be iillegal to cover the speedometer, even though, in reality, when you're executing a lane change it is more important to verify the status of your blind spot for 2 seconds than to check your speed. So, just move the image to right under the speed display. Re the audible alert, I meant to say while using the turn signal. Wasn't aware of the setting so will do that. Thanks.

I agree with the points made by @Blackbart. I just returned from a 4100 mile road trip over 19 days, from Blaine Washington to Santa Barbara, Orange County, Indian Wells, Tucson, Phoenix, Vegas, Susanville, Portland, and back to Blaine. I found the lane change image almost useless as, being so low on the screen, you have to look too far away from your line of vision and process what you're glancing at. This is difficult and dangerous when in heavy freeway traffic. I much preferred the amber light on the side mirrors of my previous Audi.

Totally concur. Just got back from visiting my D in the Bay Area and changing lanes in heavy traffic --- when isn't there heavy traffic in the BA? -- in her Audi was such a joy. I'm one of those guys whose eyes are almost always on the road -- no fly by wire -- so almost never look at the screen, except for speedo.

Reactions: Blackbart
Agree with OP, from a user interface standpoint there are simpler methods than what is there to indicate someone is actively in a person's blindspot that is 1) easily glanceable by the driver and 2) doesn't need AP to be active when doing. There's a lot of context currently in what is needed to understand if someone is in your blindspot.

That being said, it would have been far simpler if the side mirrors had the blindspot indictor light in some manor. Not only does it help the driver, it also helps drivers around you especially at night know you're in their blindspot area as that light turns on. One of my favorite blindspot indicator-on-the-mirror designs is from Volvo

1647826477695.png

I think the car and road graphics in the left 1/3 of the screen is virtually useless information
I couldn't disagree more. I find the car/road graphics to be outstanding at building situational awareness for things like blind spot awareness. It accurately shows position, and closure (except for semi-trucks). I find it to be much better than a simple binary light in the mirror. It does require a different "crosscheck" than (all other) cars without a visualization.

We have a Mazda 3, it emits a simple alarm/chirp as soon as I put the blinker on and it is unsafe to change lanes... I am always more confident changing lanes in the Mazda than my Model 3.... I think adding this simple /sound element to the Tesla solution would do it... I know there is an option that enables blind spot chime, but after 4x years of driving M3, I still have to hear it chime once!

I couldn't disagree more. I find the car/road graphics to be outstanding at building situational awareness for things like blind spot awareness. It accurately shows position, and closure (except for semi-trucks). I find it to be much better than a simple binary light in the mirror. It does require a different "crosscheck" than (all other) cars without a visualization.
Perhaps I will eventually adapt to using that kind of situational awareness. But I prefer to get my situational awareness by looking straight ahead and using my mirrors rather than looking down at the display screen and interpreting the images there. I'm driving a car, not playing a video game. Like others have said, I prefer a simple warning by a flashing light that doesn't require any interpretation or lapse of concentration. If the flashing light were added, then the screen graphic could be consulted to verify the basis of the warning light.
Tesla's insistence on using the screen for providing so much info and as a control interface that sometimes involves 2 layers of menu selection dangerously distracts the driver from driving safely. I appreciate their general motivation to employ a different approach and to break from tradition, but I think the huge focus on screen info has been taken a little too far in situations like this.

Perhaps I will eventually adapt to using that kind of situational awareness. But I prefer to get my situational awareness by looking straight ahead and using my mirrors rather than looking down at the display screen and interpreting the images there. I'm driving a car, not playing a video game. Like others have said, I prefer a simple warning by a flashing light that doesn't require any interpretation or lapse of concentration. If the flashing light were added, then the screen graphic could be consulted to verify the basis of the warning light.
Tesla's insistence on using the screen for providing so much info and as a control interface that sometimes involves 2 layers of menu selection dangerously distracts the driver from driving safely. I appreciate their general motivation to employ a different approach and to break from tradition, but I think the huge focus on screen info has been taken a little too far in situations like this.
Yes, I think that when Tesla envisioned the minimalist Model 3 interior (and exterior if you include functionality like warning lights on the side mirrors), the thought was that FSD was right around the corner and the cars would be driving themselves in just a year or two.

Given Tesla’s stated safety goals and understanding the capabilities of the cars it feels like there is an easy improvement to blind spot management.

All I want to know (especially in heavy traffic) is “Am I clear to change lanes.” Which is the beauty of the ubiquitous mirror lights. Tesla is not going to add those. But they could use the mostly useless visualization screen.

When the driver turns on their turn signal - the adjacent lane could light up amber if the lane is occupied. While this does not show the car next to you the arrow in the mirror (which is nice) it would be superior to mirror arrows in that you wouldn’t need to turn your head or even take your eyes off the road.

As a bonus you could have the option to toggle on a haptic enhancement and/or a chime if you wanted.

To me this is such a fundamental safety feature and one the car is already so well set up to address - it makes me sad that the current system is so bad. Even with the recent camera addition you are required to look away from the road and focus on the camera feed and then interpret the information. All to get a simple Y/N piece of information. One which the car is already fully capable of providing. And does (for itself) when executing automated lane changes.
A448A318-4657-4D8E-A021-BF1F873F8A1F.jpeg

I need to see if this works

View attachment 808368
I need to see if this works
In theory my car does that (they all do) but it’s sufficiently subtle and unreliable as to be useless. Sometimes it is correct. But sometimes it is not red even when a car is there. And other times it will show a car two lanes over as red. All of which is to say - if it’s sometimes wrong the information it provides becomes useless. There is a special chime the car will play but that is reserved for what it deems to be imminent collisions - so I’ve only heard it once or twice and of course didn’t initially know what it meant cause I almost never hear it. It’s a bummer and one of my only beefs with the car.

Agree with OP, from a user interface standpoint there are simpler methods than what is there to indicate someone is actively in a person's blindspot that is 1) easily glanceable by the driver and 2) doesn't need AP to be active when doing. There's a lot of context currently in what is needed to understand if someone is in your blindspot.

That being said, it would have been far simpler if the side mirrors had the blindspot indictor light in some manor. Not only does it help the driver, it also helps drivers around you especially at night know you're in their blindspot area as that light turns on. One of my favorite blindspot indicator-on-the-mirror designs is from Volvo

View attachment 783719
Blind spot mirror indicator lights are a nice “nice to have,” but adjusting side view mirrors so they give you the side view really should take care of blind spots (see this link).

That said, out of all of this discussion, this is perhaps the one argument I’ve seen that suggests a real benefit that you can’t get just by properly adjusting your mirrors. I like it.

In theory my car does that (they all do) but it’s sufficiently subtle and unreliable as to be useless. Sometimes it is correct. But sometimes it is not red even when a car is there. And other times it will show a car two lanes over as red. All of which is to say - if it’s sometimes wrong the information it provides becomes useless. There is a special chime the car will play but that is reserved for what it deems to be imminent collisions - so I’ve only heard it once or twice and of course didn’t initially know what it meant cause I almost never hear it. It’s a bummer and one of my only beefs with the car.
Ahh, you hit the nail on the head. That’s the problem. Beeps that happen so rarely you forget what they are for.

The “normal” blind spot warning I’m used to is it beeps anytime there is a car in the blind spot AND blinker is on. That happens enough that your muscle memory gets trained quickly. With Beep on immanent threat only, it’s what the hell is going on. But one thing in its favor is that it will nudge the wheel away from the threat.

I set the speed limit warning to be 15mph over posted speed limit. Took me forever to learn that one. Partly because there is no visual and it’s a pleasant tone. My wife often asks what’s it beeping for. Often happens around toll booths.

Don't scare anybody (the guy in your blind spot, for example).
That is the problem. That car and lane line turns RED ONLY when the turn signal is on. So in order to test it out, I have to show the signal and then not change lanes, OR test it ONLY when I need to change lanes and someone is actually in the blindspot.

That is the problem. That car and lane line turns RED ONLY when the turn signal is on. So in order to test it out, I have to show the signal and then not change lanes, OR test it ONLY when I need to change lanes and someone is actually in the blindspot.
It would more sense to use the interior camera to sense the driver looking at the side mirror.

Here is another approach to better help improve the blindspot situation.
I will ass-u-me we all know that the blind spot view is now available in the upper left, or can be moved around the screen, in a recent software update. I also miss having an audible alert, and I have never seen a red vehicle or line on the screen when changing lanes. I also moved the mirrors out and found it too distracting with vehicles appearing in opposing traffic. But I have learned to always check the mirrors first, over my shoulder second, and then the camera last. Some automatic features make us lazy. Like GPS has made me geographically illiterate.

I will ass-u-me we all know that the blind spot view is now available in the upper left, or can be moved around the screen, in a recent software update. I also miss having an audible alert, and I have never seen a red vehicle or line on the screen when changing lanes. I also moved the mirrors out and found it too distracting with vehicles appearing in opposing traffic. But I have learned to always check the mirrors first, over my shoulder second, and then the camera last. Some automatic features make us lazy. Like GPS has made me geographically illiterate.
If you see the picture I posted, I am not talking about the camera view but the visualization that depicts the blind spot with a red vehicle if one is in the blind spot area.

Well. Dreams come true. The new update contains a feature where the edge of the side indicator camera / blind spot view turns red if there is a car there. So really you don’t even have to look at the screen - it’s enough to know the lane is NOT clear (which you can see out of the corner of your eye) . The reliability of it also seems significantly upgraded. Here’s to progress… AND over the air updates!

Reactions: enemji
Well. Dreams come true. The new update contains a feature where the edge of the side indicator camera / blind spot view turns red if there is a car there. So really you don’t even have to look at the screen - it’s enough to know the lane is NOT clear (which you can see out of the corner of your eye) . The reliability of it also seems significantly upgraded. Here’s to progress… AND over the air updates!
I don't like the blink spot camera image. It blocks my map. I cannot not use the right part of screen for other activities (changing music while waiting for green light,...). There are other ways to improve: showing a big red dot/arrow on the upper left/right corner of the screen if it's unsafe to change lane, resizing or shifting down the right part of the screen when the blind spot camera image is shown so that the driver can use the functions of the right screen, making car icons and ego on the left side of the screen a little bit smaller in order to show cars in at leaat 5 car-length distance behind the ego,...