Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big New Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I read AT&T was shutting off their LTE service to be 5g only sometime early next year? Wouldn't that be a BIG problem
for Tesla in the US?
AT&T 3G is shutting down next year. 4G LTE is about 8 years newer than 3G and is still pretty useful considering the limited coverage and lower range of 5G. I would guess 4G will be around for around for about 10 more years.

AT&T 3G is shutting down next year. 4G LTE is about 8 years newer than 3G and is still pretty useful considering the limited coverage and lower range of 5G. I would guess 4G will be around for around for about 10 more years.
4G/LTE is 'never' going away as 5G only works over a very limited distance. It would mean building massive amounts of cell towers all over the countryside to just maintain the same level of coverage.

BTW: 4G originally was really just an enhancement of 3G (higher data rates). Only in the USA it was called 4G as obviously a higher number is better :) Now the situation is more confusing as 4G covers a multitude of technologies and frequency bands.

Last edited:
Reactions: MBx4 and DC2ACMY
I thought I read AT&T was shutting off their LTE service to be 5g only sometime early next year? Wouldn't that be a BIG problem
for Tesla in the US?
hmm I dont know what you are reading, but next year I wouldn't expect more than 10% of AT&T customers to be on 5G phones. I could be wrong of course, but I suspect cutting off 90% of their customers from the network might not be the best business move.

Got “The Big New Update” last night.
B1693847-0DB1-4BF7-B39D-82F9BE92FD7E.jpeg