Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue 650 (Dashcam) Group Buy - $310, including 32 Gig Card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stopped in and talked to Dan this morning. He has installed Blackvue 650 dual camera units in 4 X so far, and I got to see an X in his shop with one installed. Nice clean install. Because of the massive glass windshield, he mounts the front camera low almost on top of the dash. He runs the 12v power wire behind the dash and through the 'firewall' to the fusebox. He has to get a longer coax cable for the rear camera (the included cable is good for an S, too short for an X), and runs this along the sills to the C pillar, then up and through the center boot from the top frame of the rear of the X to the liftgate itself. No visible cables. All good.

I assume that the coax cable is a standard cable that is easily acquired? Do you know what length is required for the X in this setup?

Forgive my ignorance, I have been a MS owner for all of a week. Why do I need this?

This is a security camera for the front and rear of your car. These things are becoming more common place - in many countries they are a must because of liability and insurance fraud.

Driving a $100+K automobile screams to some people that if they are in an accident with you, your insurance company will provide a nice payout to them.

The security camera also helps with what I'll call the "Ferris Bueller Parking Garage Issue". If someone takes your Tesla for a joy-ride, you have it all on camera! LOL

I assume that the coax cable is a standard cable that is easily acquired? Do you know what length is required for the X in this setup?

AFAIK, not a standard coax cable. You would need to look ate the cable supplied by Blackvue. As far as length, no idea. Depends on how you route it and your skills.I did not as Dan--that is his expertise and 'trade secret'. Guess you could go to Blackvue and see what the standard in-the-box length of the included coax is and if they (or Rear View Safety) offer a longer version.

It appears that neither BlackVue nor Rear View Safety sell a longer co-axial cable. The provided length is not even mentioned on anyone's website nor in the User Manual. It would be helpful if someone provided some first-hand Model-X installation information. The actual co-axial connection type and name would be most helpful in trying to find a longer cable. I couldn't find any in Canada, but I did find Pittasoft 50' cable on Amazon.com

It appears that neither BlackVue nor Rear View Safety sell a longer co-axial cable. The provided length is not even mentioned on anyone's website nor in the User Manual. It would be helpful if someone provided some first-hand Model-X installation information. The actual co-axial connection type and name would be most helpful in trying to find a longer cable. I couldn't find any in Canada, but I did find Pittasoft 50' cable on Amazon.com

That sure looks long enough....

Thanks. Got it in 2 days and just finished installing it. I used an old cell phone cord that fit the Blackvue plug, cut it, spliced it to another piece of cord with stiffer ends, stuffed the ends into the black plug doohiky (brown +, black with stripe -)under the speaker grill and taped it...plugged it into the blackview and it actually lit up...surprised me anyways. I stuffed the rear view cord under various panel trims running it to the rear and jumped the gap to the rear window camera. watched a youtube about the software and set it up. Looks great, works great.

I'm sure if this impatient, attention deficit disordered, impulse control disordered doctor can install it, anyone can.

Reactions: DÆrik
Received our system yesterday, very fast shipping.

Installed the system in our 2015 MS. Very, simple install. I used the spare connector and had the front camera installed and working in about 30 minutes. It took another 45 minutes to then route the cable to the rear camera.

Only real issue is that GPS/Speed/Time does not seem to be working through the windshield. I guess that is due to Teslas heat shield in the glass. Not sure how to overcome that issue.

Otherwise, got the system tied into the WiFi in the garage and got the app loaded on my phone and tablet.

Again, surprisingly easy to install and operate.

Would appreciate a recommendation in Orange County as well
Got installation completed at SoCal Auto Sound in Costa Mesa yesterday. Bruce and his team did awesome job. Also had them wire a two-port LIVE USB for powering a Netgear Mingle from Freedom Pop. Please share with me how you could limit the data usage to below 500MB.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    333.4 KB · Views: 207
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    246.2 KB · Views: 189
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    407.8 KB · Views: 188
Got installation completed at SoCal Auto Sound in Costa Mesa yesterday. Bruce and his team did awesome job. Also had them wire a two-port LIVE USB for powering a Netgear Mingle from Freedom Pop. Please share with me how you could limit the data usage to below 500MB.

Nice! Are the USB ports always powered (even with the car is off)? How did they power the dash cam and USB port? How much did they charge for the install?

To limit it to 500 MB: Navigate to the Billing Settings menu on your freedompop account. Next, disable Automatic Top-Up, tap "Edit" and make sure to uncheck the box and save your changes.

Nice! Are the USB ports always powered (even with the car is off)? How did they power the dash cam and USB port? How much did they charge for the install?

To limit it to 500 MB: Navigate to the Billing Settings menu on your freedompop account. Next, disable Automatic Top-Up, tap "Edit" and make sure to uncheck the box and save your changes.
BlackVue connected to an open port directly to the battery. The 2.1AMP USB is also connected to battery and always on.