Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue DR650S Review + Tesla Model X Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What G-sensor and motion detection settings are people using for the DR650S-2CH? The default settings I was constantly getting motion detection warnings in parking mode, even when no one was in my garage. I now have the Motion detection (Parking mode) set to 5. Not sure if that is too low but the endless parking motion notifications were getting annoying. I will gradually raise it to see if I can find a sane setting that won't ignore a real collision, but was wondering if anyone else has been through this.

I had 2 sets of the DR650S-2CH installed by Johnny when he was out here on the east coast in January. Very professional install and powered off the controllers in the front doors. Using a ZTE VM6200 mobile hotspot plugged into the OBD2 for wifi via AT&T.

For notifications I just use the g-force and have motion disabled as it is very sensitive.

IMG_2471.PNG
Is there a new BlackVue DR750S on the way?

Hey Guys,

After testing the newly refreshed DR650S for over a month, I finally got my video review posted.

I appreciate any feedback and please subscribe to the channel for subsequent videos and follow the channel on Twitter.

The DR650S can be purchased from Amazon. I used the Netgear Mingle from Freedompop for the free 500MB per month data.

Johnny at Calibred Customs took care of the install and did a superb job, others on the forum already used him such as @Muzzman1 and @petfansNetwork. Here is contact information:
Yelp: Calibred Customs - Downtown - Los Angeles, CA
Text: 310-654-0532
Email: [email protected]

My other Blackvue videos:
Cloud Access Review: Cloud Camera for your Car
Initial Review: Blackvue - The Best Dashcam?

Feel free to use my referral link if you are interested in purchasing a Tesla, got one from a friendly forum member so far. (Virtual High-Five to you)

You can download some sample RAW clips here: http://mactechgenius.com/Tesla/Model X/DR650S RAW.zip

Please let me know if you have any questions, I hope I covered everything.

Hi, Could you specify where you placed the Mingle Hotspot? I would like to do the same thing.
Thanks!

I followed @Nerdy_Engineer 's video also and another video where the installer used long zip ties to pull the wires to the rear without taking off the plastic trim around the top of the rear window.

We did an install of the DR750S in our X yesterday and used Nerdy_Engineer's video as well. The only thing we haven't done yet is run it through the ap2 housing or the rubber strip along the panoramic windshield. Still kind of hesitant to pry that stuff off, but I'm sure we'll do it at some point. Rather than plug into the fuse box, we went with the Blackvue battery and will velcro it below the driver's seat and pull power from the 12v port in the center console.

AP housing and rubber strip aside (can't comment on that part yet), the install is pretty straightforward and installing stuff like this is really not my thing! I never really felt like I was at risk of damaging any part of the interior. The hardest part by far is running the rear cable, specifically getting it from the FWD, through the rubber tubing, and under the black trim. A coat hanger with a string and some tape will get it most of the way there. The ribbed rubber tubing is tricky because it's a tight fit and the end of the cable tends to snag on each rib. I ended up breaking the string when trying to pull it through there and ultimately taped the cable to the wire coat hook and pulled it through that way. The rigidity of the coat hanger really helps in that section. A long zip tie is about the only way to get it through the black trim on the lift gate, but it worked pretty well and I didn't need to remove the trim. The pry tool that comes with the BlackVue is pretty indispensable, I used it constantly and you really only need that, some string, a coat hanger, a long zip tie, and some strong gaffer's tape (or gorilla tape) and maybe some painters tape to hold the cable in place.

Also, make sure you have the L-shaped end of the rear cable at the front of the car (as opposed to the straight end). Dumb mistake, I had it reversed to start with and realized there was NO way it was going to fit through the rubber tubing on the liftgate. Fortunately, when I was reversing it I could at least tie a string to it and didn't have to re-fish anything.

Reactions: vandacca
Has anyone tried to install it at the top of the panoramic windshield? I'm very hesitant to run the wires along the glass plus I think it is advantageous to view Tesla's instrument panel while driving to record any AP mishaps.

Has anyone tried to install it at the top of the panoramic windshield? I'm very hesitant to run the wires along the glass plus I think it is advantageous to view Tesla's instrument panel while driving to record any AP mishaps.

Haven't tried it, but I would be worried that the more of the interior in frame, the less your exposure is going to be balanced for everything outside the car. Having it looking almost entirely out the window means it will be fairly balanced for everything outside. The interior is so much darker, may not seem so to the human eye but it definitely is to a camera, that you may find that the exterior starts to blow out too much. Purely guessing on this.

• Informative
Reactions: Sambas