Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blinded cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving from Manchester to Gatwick in the middle of the night in great weather and for 90% of the trip I’m getting camera blinded notifications and because of this no auto-lane change.

It’s driving me nuts.

It’s worse than it’s ever been. 2021.40.30.11

I get it lots too. I choose to commute late at night and huge sections of my drive are unlit which is what I think causes these issues. The cameras will have to be more sensitive to enable them to see in really low light/no light situations

Mine do that at night too.
not only that, daytime they are covered by internal condensation which has now reached a point where when dry, the constant condensation has left
a dirty dry circle which make them near to useless.
it’ll go to Norwich SC when it opens!

We live too far north of the equator.

Although seriously... There are cameras that would better cope with this, I suspect over time there will be hardware changes when Tesla put more engineering resources into these global issues.

Mine do that at night too.
not only that, daytime they are covered by internal condensation which has now reached a point where when dry, the constant condensation has left
a dirty dry circle which make them near to useless.
it’ll go to Norwich SC when it opens!
If it’s fogging up you should report it to Tesla and get a technician to your house

It's not the cameras themselves fogging up. They are well sealed. It's the protective glass in front of them. The solution is to make sure you have A/C on and turn the cabin temperature up to de-fog them. Or precondition longer before a trip so it does this before you leave.

Low sun in morning and evening does this all the time. Driving on AP and as you round a bend into the sunshine (not usually a problem in Scotland ;) ) it flashes/bongs/alarms/throws it's arms in the air etc and instantly abandons control.
Yes, low sun is always an issue ... mind you, Brechin ... hmm ... checks data ... a little more sun than Birmingham or Manchester so maybe more than you thought!

• Funny
Reactions: Overworked
Although seriously... There are cameras that would better cope with this, I suspect over time there will be hardware changes when Tesla put more engineering resources into these global issues.
May well be fixable in software. Elon has said that the new approach of using the raw sensor output (photon counts) and bypassing the usual image processing is giving substantial improvements in low light performance. How long we'll have to wait to see those improvements in production software at all (let alone production software outside of the US) is another question, of course.

Yes I guess so but I want the misted rear lights sorted too. I need to pick my moment for that. (Following a car wash!)
Just photograph the lights first thing in the morning after it’s all misted up...you might need to park outside. The photos can be uploaded to the service center on the app...I also photoed the on screen warning about the camera being blinded

Try driving down a tree lined road running N/S with the sun setting behind the trees from the west.
The sensors will be blinded.
Another Tesla feature that is not really fit for purpose.
Yes, I also get the same effect but it’s always worse if the camera is misted at the same time..’cause of the refraction of all the tiny water droplets

I get the same issues, in the dark, low sun, less so condensation but the car is kept in a garage. I’m not buying Musks pixel counting or whatever he calls it, you can only pull so much info from a sensor, and the low sun issues seem to be optical such as flare. I also get the indicator blinding the side/blind spot camera. I’m not a big AP user largely because the journeys where I could use it aren’t that long and I just forget so it doesn’t bother me, but I can see it being an increasing problem going forward.

Reactions: M1tch and duncans
I get the same issues, in the dark, low sun, less so condensation but the car is kept in a garage. I’m not buying Musks pixel counting or whatever he calls it, you can only pull so much info from a sensor, and the low sun issues seem to be optical such as flare. I also get the indicator blinding the side/blind spot camera. I’m not a big AP user largely because the journeys where I could use it aren’t that long and I just forget so it doesn’t bother me, but I can see it being an increasing problem going forward.
You can only pull so much info from a sensor, true - but the argument is that the image processing that is normally done on the sensor output, which is primarily designed to make images that look good to humans - ends up discarding significant information (and is unnecessary for the neural nets). Sounds plausible to me, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating....

Exactly the same issues tonight. When it worked it was flawless again tonight (still getting used to it’s limitations) but for huge swathes of the journey it constantly warned me of blind or blocked cameras. It was particularly bad in the rain and slightly better as it and the subsequent spray eased, but nowhere near on par as in street lit areas.