Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bloomberg Tesla Autopilot Accident Story Today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"The car didn’t stop -- it actually continued to accelerate after the first impact into the guardrail."

Unbelievable. What was the driver doing? Even after impact he doesn't bother to take over and hit the brakes?

Well, he was leaned over into the glove box upon the first collision. AP was probably already disengaged from the act of leaning over to the glovebox but if it wasn't, it surely would be upon impact....and then where do you suppose his feet were before the impact and where do you suppose they were after the impact? I'll bet one of them was on the accelerator as you struggled to get back up.

The "autopilot" in an airplane doesn't do everything for the pilot. It won't take off and land for you or handle every unexpected situation. It takes over tedious tasks and corrections while in flight. We appropriately use the term autopilot for these aircrafts as thats how it has been defined.

Yet somehow, the general public seems to incorrectly assume that autopilot means fully autonomous driving even though in the aircraft industry, where the autopilot term is more commonly used, the term doesn't mean full autonomous flying for an aircraft.

False sense of security? I've only used an autopilot loaner for a few hundred miles, but it was evident from the first minute that it needed to be monitored closely. My basic self-preservation instinct said so. Plus the instructions that appear on the screen say just that -- keep your hands on the wheel and be ready to take over. Hard to argue that it is misleading or gives a false sense of security if you've actually used the system. Cannot imagine someone putting so much trust into it to open the glove box and start cleaning (I'm not sure I could lean over to the glove box without bumping the wheel). But perhaps Tesla needs to spell this stuff out during delivery, as some people seem to lack the sense to safely drive.

Reactions: PAULL
False sense of security? I've only used an autopilot loaner for a few hundred miles, but it was evident from the first minute that it needed to be monitored closely.

I find it interesting that some people use it and quickly decide it can't be trusted even on roads it was designed for, and others say it works amazingly well and they drive for miles and miles with their hands off the wheel.

I wonder if there is actual variation in the performance of the system in particular cars (maybe due to misaligned sensors, etc) or if it's some other factor.

Molthan told Bloomberg:

“I used Autopilot all the time on that stretch of the highway,” Molthan, 44, said in a phone interview. “But now I feel like this is extremely dangerous. It gives you a false sense of security. I’m not ready to be a test pilot. It missed the curve and drove straight into the guardrail. The car didn’t stop — it actually continued to accelerate after the first impact into the guardrail.”

Test pilot? Seriously? I really wish people like this would not use that term when discussing themselves. It pisses off the real test pilots. Where was he when" IT missed the curve"? He wasn't a test pilot. Test pilots pay attention. He was a passenger. Apparently there was no pilot on duty at the time. You would think that people capable of managing the purchase of not one, but two Teslas would, by now, be aware of the limitations and cautions in the manual concerning the AP. Or did I miss the part where it states that if it has traveled this stretch before with no problem, you are ok to do some housecleaning, check your email, and perhaps read the latest news on the Kardashians?

Nope, I just checked and my owners manual says:

"Warning: Autosteer is a hands-on feature. You must keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times" and
"Never depend on Autosteer to determine an appropriate driving path. Always be prepared to take immediate action. Failure to follow these instructions could cause serious property damage, injury or death."

I know one might be confused by the complexity of these statement, but I read it to mean that "You must keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times." And you should "ALWAYS be prepared to take immediate action". Even if the dashboard has collected some unsightly dust. But perhaps it could be understood differently.

The Test Pilot term does not apply to here. If you want something more in line with what you are thinking, try guinea pig. Unlike test pilots, guinea pigs can't read.

I wonder if there is actual variation in the performance of the system in particular cars (maybe due to misaligned sensors, etc) or if it's some other factor.
The factor that is the problem is the humans doing the driving. They are so variable and unreliable. 50 years from now when all cars are fully autonomous people will marvel at the "olden days" when humans were allowed to drive vehicles.
Test pilot? Seriously? I really wish people like this would not use that term when discussing themselves. It pisses off the real test pilots. Where was he when" IT missed the curve"? He wasn't a test pilot. Test pilots pay attention. He was a passenger. Apparently there was no pilot on duty at the time
Exactly right.

Can someone please explain to me why Autopilot drove into the guardrail multiple times and it didn't stop after the first impact???

With all the sensors it has, it should slow down on the bend to avoid hitting the guardrail. If it's really unavoidable, it should slow down to stop after the first impact.
That's one reason why this Texas accident is interesting: with so many variables contributing, was the failure the human, Autopilot failing to see the bend in the road or the emergency braking system?

a poorly written article, in the first paragraph the driver states that he wasn't paying attention, any lawsuits will be thrown out of court because of that admission.

Really? A lawsuit will be thrown out based on hearsay evidence? That's news to me. And here I am thinking hearsay evidence is inadmissible in Court.

Chubb may sue because Chubb is one of the few that offers a stated value policy (Allstate is another). With such a policy, if totaled, they cut a check to the insured for $120K or whatever the invoice and aftermarket amounts come to. They are, potentially, more exposed, in other words.

Really? So if Chubb gives me a replacement policy on a 1978 Toyota and it's totaled, they can go after the tortfeasor for a new Toyota whereas an insurer who doesn't offer replacement value can only go after the tortfeasor for actual cash value? That's news to me. I thought we had established principles of common-law that govern our law and the issue of insurance has no relevance in determining the quantum of damages.

It's amazing what you learn on the internet!

(By the way, it's called "subrogation" -- and as an insured who has been paid out on a property damage claim you have no choice as to whether to sue or not -- after paying a claim an insurer can sue in your name and you have no right to select counsel or determine the course of the litigation but you do have a duty to cooperate. In a motor vehicle accident, there is property damage and sometimes bodily injury. The article never mentions if the driver was injured other than a bloody nose -- and that's very important since that's the only lawsuit for which he has the deciding vote as to whether to sue, assuming he was paid out on the property damage claim by his insurer.)

Last edited:
Really? A lawsuit will be thrown out based on hearsay evidence? That's news to me. And here I am thinking hearsay evidence is inadmissible in Court.

Maybe the laws are different in Canada, but you might want to look into something called a "statement against interest."

Statement against interest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whether the driver's statement is enough to "throw out" the case is hard to say, but the statement will be a central piece in any case that might come out of this.

Maybe the laws are different in Canada, but you might want to look into something called a "statement against interest."

Statement against interest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whether the driver's statement is enough to "throw out" the case is hard to say, but the statement will be a central piece in any case that might come out of this.

Nope. The hearsay laws are generally the same in Canada as in the States. We follow the same English common-law. All evidence is subject to the test for admissibility and this is what you want admitted into evidence, from the article:

"Mark Molthan, the driver, readily admits that he was not paying full attention."

Now, how did this come about? It came about by the journalist writing down, or recording in some other manner, what he said he was told. That's classic hearsay and if it's denied we get into your exceptions to the hearsay rule that you pointed me to in the article to try to get it admitted (the first part of which deals with admissions in court - if a party admits in court he apologized it's not hearsay - that's why many jurisdictions have an Apology Act) But let's leave that aside since you don't need to try to get something into evidence that is admitted. The article lists the following hearsay exceptions:

"In certain circumstances, it can be a factor in allowing as evidence statements that would otherwise be excluded through the law of hearsay.

Under the Federal Rules of Evidence, Rule 804(b)(3) provides:

"A statement that:

(A) a reasonable person in the declarant’s position would have made only if the person believed it to be true because, when made, it was so contrary to the declarant’s proprietary or pecuniary interest or had so great a tendency to invalidate the declarant’s claim against someone else or to expose the declarant to civil or criminal liability; and

(B) is supported by corroborating circumstances that clearly indicate its trustworthiness, if it is offered in a criminal case as one that tends to expose the declarant to criminal liability." See Fed. R. Evid. 804(b)(3). The rule was last amended on December 1, 2010. See Legislative History (with links to key documents)."

Neither of these apply. Saying you were "not paying full attention" is not "so contrary to the declarant’s proprietary or pecuniary interest or had so great a tendency to invalidate the declarant’s claim against someone else". At best, it may be somewhat contrary. But what is "failing to pay full attention"? We always have to pay full attention when driving or we are at fault? This is clearly not the type of admission that has "so great a tendency to invalidate" the claim. This exception is for when people admit something that completely invalidates claims. The issue of autopilot causing an accident for momentary lapses of attention is a real issue yet to be determined by the courts because of the novel technology.

The other exception applies to criminal law so it has no application.

As such, in my view, there's no way you would get that article admitted into Court even with exceptions to the hearsay rule.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: gpetti
That's one reason why this Texas accident is interesting: with so many variables contributing, was the failure the human, Autopilot failing to see the bend in the road or the emergency braking system?

We don't really know that that is what happened. We know that this is what the driver thinks happened; but it is more likely that the driver accidentally disengaged AP while leaning to reach the glovebox. Why not wait to get the actual assessment from analysis of the car logs vs manufacturing a story based on a single individual's recollection? Oh wait, I know! Because it makes it really hard to use conjecture and speculation in order to sensationalize a headline and story when you have mundane facts about what really happened...

Reactions: jdw
Beta = consumer-ready, with non-lethal implications.

That's not the definition of beta. To assume alphas and betas or final products will not is a very dangerous assumption.

It's a product in development with changing features. No promises about death or destruction implied and you should pay attention if you value life and property.

Because it makes it really hard to use conjecture and speculation in order to sensationalize a headline and story when you have mundane facts about what really happened...

Someone else would have run this useless story if Bloomberg didn't so it's better to push out garbage than have others get it first and miss your penny ad ladden click bait hit pieces.

Question... Does the Autopilot shut off if the sensors detect that no one is sitting in the driver's seat? I know there was an issue with people turning around when backing up and the car putting itself into park at low speeds. I also know that Tesla was the subject of criticism when a certain unnamed YouTube poster put up video of himself getting into the back seat while on Autopilot and the seat sensor allowing it. If Tesla corrected that, could it be that when the driver in the Texas crash leaned over to get something out of the glove box, the seat sensors thought there was no one in the seat and shut down the Autopilot?

Reactions: MP3Mike
I wonder if the "acceleration" after the impact the driver reported was actually regen being disabled due to the impact.

When regen stops on you unexpectedly, it sure feels like the car accelerates (even though it is really just decelerating less)

Reactions: MP3Mike