Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bollards on garage side wall in Riverside county, ca?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was walking through a new development and noticed some bollards. Not for Powerwalls, but for the natural gas riser/meter. The use of the bollards is similar to the location in @Vines rules for exterior Powerwalls. Two of the bollards were left in plain metal grey, but the middle one was painted and disappears against the exterior color.

bollards_1.png

I also saw two examples where bollards should probably be there, but aren't. These are still under construction, so maybe they will be added later. The last picture on the right is a garage interior location with two on-demand gas water heaters, also without bollards. This is also similar to @Vines rules for ESS mounted on the side that is outside of the drive path due to the front wall. The gas lines are likely also higher than 36".

bollards_2.png

Every house in the development has solar because of the California requirement for new housing, but the number of panels are minimal on most of them. These places were originally going for $1.6M+ in 2019 and are now selling for $2.7M+.

I came across this article yesterday about a World Bollard Association account on twitter:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/10/09/bollards-twitter-account/

I thought some of you bollard fans might get a chuckle out of it.

Lol this made my morning…

“Bollards give us what nothing else in the world can … strength, security, reliability and beauty,” wrote a representative of the World Bollard Association to me in a direct message on Twitter. “Bollards are the greatest invention of the last 500 years.”

Lol this made my morning…

“Bollards give us what nothing else in the world can … strength, security, reliability and beauty,” wrote a representative of the World Bollard Association to me in a direct message on Twitter. “Bollards are the greatest invention of the last 500 years.”
The most interesting thing is there is something called the World Bollard Association. I wonder what their conventions are like?

damn .. those are some serious baseplates .. how hot are these ppl coming into their garages ?!? 🤣
I was told by the Santa Clara County fire service that some people park their big trucks in the garage and diagonally. Sidewalls are getting bollards in many cities. If I had permission I'd post the picture of what was a 3 car garage after we installed 5 powerwalls, 3 and 2 on each side of the garage.

The center portal of the 3 car garage was still open but the left and right bays were both basically unusable other than for motorcycles. I told him to complain to the county supervisors if he had any political pull but most people probably just deal with them one way or another.

damn .. those are some serious baseplates .. how hot are these ppl coming into their garages ?!? 🤣
These exact Bollards could be bolted down to a public parking garage floor and be code compliant for a public driving space where people do lots of stupid stuff.

One of the justifications for the code I helped write was for exactly that reason. The back of a private garage is not a public traffic way, therefore the impact protection required should be commensurate with the reduced level of risk. The IMC recognizes this condition as similar for fuel-fired appliances in a garage, and the current IMC code required bollards are similar to what code requires in California Jan 1 2023.