Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Both Front Ball Joint to be replacée after 60k Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bah, with all the potholes hit after 60k miles, even my last car was in same shape after that milleage (Impreza 2015) and had to change many parts.

Parts and labor, 1000$ CAD at Tesla (same price at an Independant).

Model 3 AWD Sept. 2018

Only if you get super lucky... SCs and MSs are told to flag any mods and then deny warranty claims against any even loosely related sub-system or assembly.

Returning to stock can but often will not change the situation. If you pay out of pocket, sure, they will take care of you. Diagnostics (even if done for the nth time), labor to remove/replace and parts cost. All of course at Tesla tax rates.

Bah, with all the potholes hit after 60k miles, even my last car was in same shape after that milleage (Impreza 2015) and had to change many parts.

Parts and labor, 1000$ CAD at Tesla (same price at an Independant).

Model 3 AWD Sept. 2018

I have not replaced a ball joint since owning a 69 Dodge Charger (that was ~8 years old).
And I put a minium of 100k miles on any car and some I ran to 230k.
And I live in Pothole alley.

Sorry, but ball joints should NOT be going at 2 years and 60K miles. That is not normal.
Most any decent ICE car needs no service for 100K other than oil changes, tires and brakes.

12V I can accept because they might get used differently. And they look on the small side, probably to save weight.

These maintenance issues are chewing up the "No Maintenance" claim on EV's pretty quickly.
Oil changes are looking like a pretty minor annoyance.

Controls Arms
Tires
Alignments
Ball Joints
Lots of stress cracks in glass
12 V Battery
Oh and Brakes from LACK of usage

All seem way above normal.

Interested to hear what their remedy is for axle clicking. It's a common issue and very annoying. (Axle lubing and nut tightening does NOT solve it)

This is the second time I'm taking it in for the axle clicking. This time it's coming from front driver side area and the first time it was driver side rear wheel area. I don't recall what they did last time to fix the the rear, but I've not heard it clicking from there.

I just got the repair estimate of 2300 for the front passenger seat replacement! Hah! All because they can't figure out the sensor issue and we will randomly get 'front passenger safety belt fault' or something along those lines.

I too have this squeaky control arm. 2018- Sept build with 32k miles on it. It's going in on Thursday to address this, axle clicking and front passenger seat belt warning.

ah I had the front passenger seat belt warning issue fixed three weeks ago, and just his morning got both my upper control arms replaced for the squeaky noise.

Attachments

• 540003C7-147D-4239-AB86-E4AA6546D0C0.jpeg
    540003C7-147D-4239-AB86-E4AA6546D0C0.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 375
  • 2404CCCF-5938-4980-AD43-6F5DD80D1559.jpeg
    2404CCCF-5938-4980-AD43-6F5DD80D1559.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 142
I have not replaced a ball joint since owning a 69 Dodge Charger (that was ~8 years old).
And I put a minium of 100k miles on any car and some I ran to 230k.
And I live in Pothole alley.

Sorry, but ball joints should NOT be going at 2 years and 60K miles. That is not normal.
Most any decent ICE car needs no service for 100K other than oil changes, tires and brakes.

12V I can accept because they might get used differently. And they look on the small side, probably to save weight.

These maintenance issues are chewing up the "No Maintenance" claim on EV's pretty quickly.
Oil changes are looking like a pretty minor annoyance.

Controls Arms
Tires
Alignments
Ball Joints
Lots of stress cracks in glass
12 V Battery
Oh and Brakes from LACK of usage

All seem way above normal.
Great post.
Tesla’s, as much as I prefer the performance of their EV tech, for me they’ve been more like owning an Alfa Romeo than a low maintenance make.

• Disagree
Reactions: mswlogo and Ritz