Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a 100D with ventilated seats! I DID IT! WOOO WOOOOOOOO!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will see. I don't have so much money where parting with $100k is something I take lightly at all! Having a bad taste in my mouth will make it that much harder.

The problem is self-driving combined with Electric drive train.

If you're interested in either one its really hard to avoid Tesla, and if you want both then you'll inevitably end up in a Tesla even if you think Elon Musk is a green reptilian alien that wants to take over the world.

On neither front do I see any competitors getting anywhere close to what Tesla will achieve in 6-9 months with EAP. This is one of the reasons Tesla can play it so fast and loose.

You also have the $7500 federal rebate to take into consideration. If you wait too long you jeopardize losing out on that. Maybe that's not a big deal because I imagine that's built into the pricing. So when that disappears we're likely going to see some price drops or feature enhancements.

I had my order for a 90D canceled, but it seems to take a while to go through. I was exchanging e-mail with my sales guy today and he said he could still reinstate my order if I asked. I told him the answer is still no, until they change their policy with regard to upgrading from a 90 to a 100. This seems very unlikely, but Tesla has changed its mind before.

What is your ask? Are you wanting them to allow you to upgrade from a 90D to a 100D but still keep the free supercharging?

As I posted in the original post my own sales advisor set this up for me to be able to upgrade without losing supercharging. Now - she has not confirmed today I got what I wanted. Certainly possible I did not. She said yesterday she was checking and working on it. You could all be right. But she hasn't texted or emailed yet to say she messed this up.

I think your sales advisor was just naive. When I ordered a week ago, mine told me it was possible that a switch could happen if the 100D was released. Then, after it was released, he was quite clear that it was not possible. There's been no change.

If it turns out I can't even retain the vented seats I'll probably cancel entirely and wait 8 more weeks til the Model 3 reveal and grab whatever new S is available with the updated options.

That's the story for me (well, I never had them in the first place as I ordered a day or two late). And that's what I'm doing: canceled, waiting, thinking end of quarter may be a scramble again with some good deals.

In the meantime I wait to hear if I was denied or not.

Seems very unlikely you'll get special dispensation, and your sales advisor will get a hard lesson on making promises she can't keep. If they give it to you, they'll have to give it to everybody. Somebody will look very stupid.

Ridiculous. If they waited to release the 100D, people would STILL be bitching about missing the cut off and being stuck with their 90D. Tesla is offering the customer more options here. Get the 90D with SCing, or get the newest car option without it. Your choice that you're free to make for yourself.

This is actually one of those things where Tesla could easily offer an upgrade path if they wanted to. They did for the P100D. All non-delivered P90DL orders were eligible for upgrades at price difference - and even all delivered cars were eligible for upgrade at twice the price difference.

So obviously Tesla could have allowed upgradeing existing 90D orders to 100D without losing any ordered feature, if they wanted to.

Tesla chose not to - and people are voicing their opinion on that through posts and possible order changes as they see fit.

Reactions: Cowby and AVRnj
This is actually one of those things where Tesla could easily offer an upgrade path if they wanted to. They did for the P100D. All non-delivered P90DL orders were eligible for upgrades at price difference - and even all delivered cars were eligible for upgrade at twice the price difference.

So obviously Tesla could have allowed upgradeing existing 90D orders to 100D without losing any ordered feature, if they wanted to.

Tesla chose not to - and people are voicing their opinion on that through posts and possible order changes as they see fit.

They could also chose to give away the cars for free. They chose not to. It's a free market and you are free to vote with your money, cancel away. The owners here are just telling you that nitpicking over 90D + FUSC over 100D is a fool's errand, both are great choices, choose which fits your lifestyle better.

As a recent owner, Tesla has definitely done the right thing. Leaving 100D + FUSC would leave a very bad taste to all those who rushed to get their purchases in the last quarter due to FUSC ending, myself included. Introducing a new top end model with 10% extra range, at the end of a end-of-life of another desired feature, and letting the 2 overlap only to screw the customers who purchased before the deadline, is a recipe for PR disaster. It boggles the mind that people don't see that.

What is your ask? Are you wanting them to allow you to upgrade from a 90D to a 100D but still keep the free supercharging?

Yeah. When I ordered the 90D I told them to push the delivery out as far as possible (mid-April) because I was hoping the 100D battery would become available and I could upgrade my order. My sales guy wouldn't say anything about the likelihood of it becoming available, but he indicated that an upgrade would be the expected thing. He was apologetic when he found out it couldn't happen, but indicated that it was a decision way above his pay grade.

They could also chose to give away the cars for free. They chose not to. It's a free market and you are free to vote with your money, cancel away. The owners here are just telling you that nitpicking over 90D + FUSC over 100D is a fool's errand, both are great choices, choose which fits your lifestyle better.

As a recent owner, Tesla has definitely done the right thing. Leaving 100D + FUSC would leave a very bad taste to all those who rushed to get their purchases in the last quarter due to FUSC ending, myself included. Introducing a new top end model with 10% extra range, at the end of a end-of-life of another desired feature, and letting the 2 overlap only to screw the customers who purchased before the deadline, is a recipe for PR disaster. It boggles the mind that people don't see that.

With P100D, Tesla offered the battery upgrade to existing P90DL owners as well - those who had taken delivery and those who had not taken delivery yet either. So in a comparable scenario, they would have offered to upgrade to you as well - perhaps at a higher cost, but still. There is nothing stopping them from doing this, a battery swap is not a practical impossibility like an AP2 hardware swap. I'm sure that actually many people might jump at a later-date 100D upgrade if such was offered now (keep your 90D order, pay later to upgrade battery).

On the flipside, I do agree that giving the 90D owners a little something can be seen as a nice gesture. It is an upside of this choice by Tesla. Choices - for Tesla and customers alike - are rarely black and white. There are shades of grey. So it is nice 90D owners get a bit of extra. But at the same time, Tesla has reportedly gotten quite a bit of pushback from their current order base.

I am not as confident as you are that this was the wisest of choices by Tesla, but I am not dismissing your point of view either.

The problem is self-driving combined with Electric drive train.

If you're interested in either one its really hard to avoid Tesla, and if you want both then you'll inevitably end up in a Tesla even if you think Elon Musk is a green reptilian alien that wants to take over the world.

On neither front do I see any competitors getting anywhere close to what Tesla will achieve in 6-9 months with EAP. This is one of the reasons Tesla can play it so fast and loose.

You also have the $7500 federal rebate to take into consideration. If you wait too long you jeopardize losing out on that. Maybe that's not a big deal because I imagine that's built into the pricing. So when that disappears we're likely going to see some price drops or feature enhancements.

All true, and I don't discount it at all. I don't think Elon is a bad guy, I just think he spreads himself way too thin, and doesn't always make the best decisions because of that.

I have not ruled out buying a Model S, Im just going to not rush into it like I did last week. If/when the time is right, I will order.

In the end, perhaps the real issue here is that @calisnow had a moment of smug elation when he believed he snatched a 100D, HW2, Ventilated seats, FUSC when time and space converged to make him a winner of the Tesla Ordering Game. Just look at this thread's self-congratulatory title. Now he's sore, and he's ready to cut his nose to spite his face by giving up on a lovely MX over a few hundred dollars of Super Charging. Time to move on here....

Reactions: DKPowers
I don't know the history behind P90DL vs. P100D, but battery swaps are not cheap. What are they suppose to do with the old battery? How much wear is acceptable? How/who measures the wear and who bears the cost? They offer a new battery for the roadster, it costs $25k. So that's roughly how much the battery costs. If I, a 90D owner, upgrades to a 100D for say $5k (as you say, slightly higher than the $3k), how is Tesla suppose to make the rest of the $20k with a used, high undesirable, 90D battery pack?

I feel a certain amount of entitlement kicks in with these luxury purchases, where the buyers fail to see that the manufacturer is a for-profit organization.

Yeah. When I ordered the 90D I told them to push the delivery out as far as possible (mid-April) because I was hoping the 100D battery would become available and I could upgrade my order. My sales guy wouldn't say anything about the likelihood of it becoming available, but he indicated that an upgrade would be the expected thing. He was apologetic when he found out it couldn't happen, but indicated that it was a decision way above his pay grade.

I would hold out for an EOQ fire sale! ;)

I don't know the history behind P90DL vs. P100D, but battery swaps are not cheap. What are they suppose to do with the old battery? How much wear is acceptable? How/who measures the wear and who bears the cost? They offer a new battery for the roadster, it costs $25k. So that's roughly how much the battery costs. If I, a 90D owner, upgrades to a 100D for say $5k (as you say, slightly higher than the $3k), how is Tesla suppose to make the rest of the $20k with a used, high undesirable, 90D battery pack?

I feel a certain amount of entitlement kicks in with these luxury purchases, where the buyers fail to see that the manufacturer is a for-profit organization.

It is not entitlement to offer a point for consideration. Battery changes are not impossible, unlike AP2 transplant. It is not entitlement to comment on Tesla's actual history - they offered this for the P100D. It was their choice to do so.

And this definitely is not impossible for yet to be manufactured cars, of course. In many cases there too Tesla has gladly accepted upgrades to a higher priced model.

So, the precedent is there. The technological feasibility is there. I assume Tesla also has had avenues for refurbishing, reusing, recycling those batteries.

I agree Tesla made a business decision - and apparently many customers are also making business decisions. Both normal, of course.

Reactions: AVRnj
What does it matter to you at this point? You said you already cancelled your order. Which means if they do change their stance you don't have the option anymore and you screwed yourself.

I made it very clear to my DS today that the only reason I was cancelling was they would not honor my free unlimited super charging that I had qualified with my 90D by ordering on the 15th, which I in cancelled when the 100D came out at the last second. Had they been willing to honor my super charging, I never would have cancelled. If they by some miracle have a change of mind and would honor it for those who had ordered a 90D by the 15th, I would order again in 2 seconds flat. Im not holding my breath.

I made it very clear to my DS today that the only reason I was cancelling was they would not honor my free unlimited super charging that I had qualified with my 90D by ordering on the 15th, which I in cancelled when the 100D came out at the last second. Had they been willing to honor my super charging, I never would have cancelled. If they by some miracle have a change of mind and would honor it for those who had ordered a 90D by the 15th, I would order again in 2 seconds flat. Im not holding my breath.

By the sounds of it, neither are they.

I had my order for a 90D canceled, but it seems to take a while to go through. I was exchanging e-mail with my sales guy today and he said he could still reinstate my order if I asked. I told him the answer is still no, until they change their policy with regard to upgrading from a 90 to a 100. This seems very unlikely, but Tesla has changed its mind before.

I don't think they are changing their mind on this, I think the entire purpose of the extra 15 days was to try to push out more 90D's. Even the fact that he is still willing to honor your 90D with the FUSC really speaks to that. It was very manipulative by Tesla IMO.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
I'm only being so aggressive against the critics here because I REALLY appreciate Tesla's business philosophy. I work in Silicon Valley/Bay Area so come from a very similar no-nonsense approach that Tesla brings to the much needed auto-industry. No haggling, no special deals, no gaming the system. Every thing is transparent and everyone can get what's listed on the website, no more and no less.

I don't think they are changing their mind on this, I think the entire purpose of the extra 15 days was to try to push out more 90D's. Even the fact that he is still willing to honor your 90D with the FUSC really speaks to that. It was very manipulative by Tesla IMO.

Manipulative indeed. Imagine that, a business trying to incentivize it's customer and sell more of it's product.

Reactions: CSFTN
I'm only being so aggressive against the critics here because I REALLY appreciate Tesla's business philosophy. I work in Silicon Valley/Bay Area so come from a very similar no-nonsense approach that Tesla brings to the much needed auto-industry. No haggling, no special deals, no gaming the system. Every thing is transparent and everyone can get what's listed on the website, no more and no less.

When they are trying to push 90D's out the door in a manipulative way, that is gaming the system IMO, and not transparent in the least. Also saying you can change your battery within your 7 days and still get FUSC as long as you placed your order by the 15th, and then reneging when they announce the 100D is gaming the system, IMO.