Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a 100D with ventilated seats! I DID IT! WOOO WOOOOOOOO!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm only being so aggressive against the critics here because I REALLY appreciate Tesla's business philosophy. I work in Silicon Valley/Bay Area so come from a very similar no-nonsense approach that Tesla brings to the much needed auto-industry. No haggling, no special deals, no gaming the system. Every thing is transparent and everyone can get what's listed on the website, no more and no less.

But Tesla was not transparent in the first place, they extended the FUSC period by 15 days... yet now are not honoring their usual 7 day change window, but demand order cancellation and re-order instead.

I would agree that compared to precedent, Tesla is the one that seems to be gaming this system. It is obviously a special approach intended to move as many 90D's as possible.

I expect another "game" late this quarter: discounted (yes, discounts!) inventory 90Ds...

Tesla hasn't gamed anyone. If anything, they've been more than fair this time. 90D owners who either recently took delivery or are too far into the manufacturing process to change get free SCing to assuage any remorse, and people who recently ordered are free to keep their current configuration, change to the new 100D while subjecting themselves to the new options and pricing and paid SCing, or cancel entirely. Theyve given potential new owners options, and some are choosing to exercise the option to cancel entirely, which is fair.

Edit: Feel free to disagree Avrnj, but Tesla has given you options, one of which you are exercising. I would bet that you'd still feel prettypissed off if Tesla waited a week or so to announce the 100D after the deadline to make changes was up and you felt stuck with a 90D. This way you can cancel, which you have, and take your money elsewhere.

Tesla hasn't gamed anyone. If anything, they've been more than fair this time. 90D owners who either recently took delivery or are too far into the manufacturing process to change get free SCing to assuage any remorse, and people who recently ordered are free to keep their current configuration, change to the new 100D while subjecting themselves to the new options and pricing and paid SCing, or cancel entirely. Theyve given potential new owners options, and some are choosing to exercise the option to cancel entirely, which is fair.

Edit: Feel free to disagree Avrnj, but Tesla has given you options, one of which you are exercising. I would bet that you'd still feel prettypissed off if Tesla waited a week or so to announce the 100D after the deadline to make changes was up and you felt stuck with a 90D. This way you can cancel, which you have, and take your money elsewhere.

Had they just ended the SC'ing on 12/31 and announced the 100D when they did, I would have completely agreed. But they did not.

• Disagree
Reactions: P100DHG. and mhan00
Had they just ended the SC'ing on 12/31 and announced the 100D when they did, I would have completely agreed. But they did not.

How does this make sense? By extending the SCing for two weeks, all Tesla did was give you more options, which you chose to execute twice. Once, when you decided to place the order on the 14th for a 90D with free SCing, and once after they announced the 100D when you chose to cancel because you couldn't get free SCing with it. If they never extended the free SCing period and you decided to order on the 31st, you somehow would have been happy to have been locked into a 90D with no ability to change to a 100D at all? I doubt that very much and suspect you would have been very unhappy, especially considering your stance that range was your number one consideration when you ordered the 90D and chose to cancel for the 100D.

Also saying you can change your battery within your 7 days and still get FUSC as long as you placed your order by the 15th, and then reneging when they announce the 100D is gaming the system, IMO.

But you could have changed your battery. To a 60, 75, or P100D. Tesla has pretty much always locked your changes into the same "price book". If you want a feature/option from the new "price book" you have to cancel, transfer your deposit, and place a new order. There was no reneging, unless your OA specifically said that you would be able to switch to a 100kWh battery. (Which they should have never done because they would not have known that you could.)

• Helpful
Reactions: brianman
When they are trying to push 90D's out the door in a manipulative way, that is gaming the system IMO, and not transparent in the least. Also saying you can change your battery within your 7 days and still get FUSC as long as you placed your order by the 15th, and then reneging when they announce the 100D is gaming the system, IMO.

True, you and the rest of us had the option to edit our orders for anything else available at the time of our original orders. This is standard practice. The 100D was not available at the time of your order (only performance version) and Tesla not only offered an upgrade option anyway but at an extremely generous price. If it was only about pushing 90s, why would they offer that? So if Tesla had offered the upgrade at say, ~10k as had been speculated, you would have been happier keeping your FUSC aka a few hundred bucks and paying many thousands more for the upgrade?

If Tesla made a mistake it was thinking their customers were more pragmatic than these threads appear to reveal.
Earlier you admitted you carry grudges. Let it go. You've ended up exercising your option to cancel. You're free!

Are you serious or kidding? lol

Serious as f*ck.

IMG_20170121_134024.jpg

IMG_20170121_153255.jpg

IMG_20170121_152400.jpg
IMG_20170121_144804.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170121-213327.png
    Screenshot_20170121-213327.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20170121_152400.jpg
    IMG_20170121_152400.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20170121_150815.jpg
    IMG_20170121_150815.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 39
My OA was very clear up front about what would happen if they announced a new battery size, based on his past experience. We discussed in detail before putting down any money. It turns out he was exactly correct.

Edit to add - he was introduced as the most experienced Tesla guy in the area. He may have had more insight than others.

Still deciding. Leaning towards the 100d...

Last edited:
Are these the pictures of you getting
Epic free gas ...
on your
...road trips ...
and
...no sweaty back ...
with your
... manager, God, the Academy, my sales adviser, my stylist, my personal trainer...
recharging
... without losing supercharging ...
chanting
Yeahhhh baby!! Ohhhhh yeahhhhhhh! ....
.......YEAH BABY! YEAH BABY!
....yeah baby!!!!

Ohh, I see, these pictures are of
.... someone congratulates himself for saving $20 per year in electricity ...
in front of your
...rapidly depreciating $100,000 car...

Well done, buddy, well done!

But Tesla was not transparent in the first place, they extended the FUSC period by 15 days... yet now are not honoring their usual 7 day change window, but demand order cancellation and re-order instead.

I would agree that compared to precedent, Tesla is the one that seems to be gaming this system. It is obviously a special approach intended to move as many 90D's as possible.

I expect another "game" late this quarter: discounted (yes, discounts!) inventory 90Ds...

It has always been a policy that once you place your order your price book is locked in, and you may make changes within that price book for 7 days. New products (100D) mean a new price book, and therefore a new order. No promise is not being honored, nothing is being demanded, and no games are being played, nothing special... except by the people in this thread that are trying to order something that was never promised and nothing Tesla ever intended on selling.

I want to say this is a great discussion. I like that people are attacking the problem here. I think this is the best thread on this forum that I've seen.

This thread has made me realize free unlimited supercharging is worth less than it's made out to be unless you can't charge at your home/ apartment or are avoiding charging at home/ apartment. The cost benefit that a lot of people have done says go with the 100D from what I surmise. $3k for 40 miles is a great deal and the $7500 tax credit consideration is a great one, might be possible production delays or even delivery delays (just getting an appointment at a dealership to take possession) because of the model 3. That's said I am sticking with my 90D order and hoping people cancel so I can get it sooner.

Great discussion. Happy to see people marching.

So now I am realizing that I placed my order for the 100D after canceling my 90D with free super charging, but there was no real reason to rush. I guess some are expecting an interior refresh and a HUD? Since there are no timelines right now for charging, should I hold off and wait to see what comes out in the next couple of months? I have not followed this stuff for long at all, and tried to sneak in with the extended free super charging, so not sure how often features and prices change. Anyone have any insight into this?

This was tweeted today:
IMG_0311.jpg

When they are trying to push 90D's out the door in a manipulative way, that is gaming the system IMO, and not transparent in the least. Also saying you can change your battery within your 7 days and still get FUSC as long as you placed your order by the 15th, and then reneging when they announce the 100D is gaming the system, IMO.
You're perspective is very difficult for me to understand. From your posts, it doesn't appear the word "reneg" applies to anything Tesla has done.

It has always been a policy that once you place your order your price book is locked in, and you may make changes within that price book for 7 days. New products (100D) mean a new price book, and therefore a new order. No promise is not being honored, nothing is being demanded, and no games are being played, nothing special... except by the people in this thread that are trying to order something that was never promised and nothing Tesla ever intended on selling.

Definitely not always.

Changing orders to P100D was possible up until delivery.

In fact, I don't recall any instance when changing to a new pricier model was not possible pre-manufacturing. It certainly has been possible more than once...

I don't think they are all that worried about the S in the grand scheme of things, at least for now. They are betting everything on the 3, its either going to make or break Tesla.
I think your viewpoint is off. The 3 and the larger mission its part of is the purpose for which Tesla Motors was founded. The Roadster, S, and X were just stepping stones to get there. It's not a bet "on the model 3"; the company was built with 3 as the goal.

You're perspective is very difficult for me to understand. From your posts, it doesn't appear the word "reneg" applies to anything Tesla has done.

I agree with @AVRnj. Clearly Tesla made some business calls in how the end of unlimited SpC and launch of 100D was handled, with the 15 day extension for the former first and then the "new price book" exception for the latter second. Obviously it is a sales game.

That's OK of course. But I wouldn't call it very transparent or attach any altruistic motives to Tesla.

Tesla made a business decision and some of their customers have made their own business decisions and delayed their orders accordingly. All within their rights, of course.

Reactions: AVRnj
And the reason is...

You prefer other customers not have the choice? Odd preference.

It would have avoided the perception that Tesla is playing games and also meant that no FUSC orders would have been open for free changes when 100D hit.

That said, personally I think Tesla should have just allowed the changes. They did with P100D and have done with many models. I guess they are just really wanting to move those 90 kWh batteries, hence the two week extension in the first place...

Reactions: AVRnj
Well, so much for that dream. Can't even have perf seats if I get the 100 pack. Leaning toward cancelling order and waiting roughly 8 weeks to the M3 Part 3 reveal when I assume new steering wheel and HUD will be released for the S. I dunno. Oy oy oy. Decisions decisions. They gave me an extra day to finalize my choice cause sales rep took too long to get back to me.