Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought FSD today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

No42

Jun 25, 2018
WA
FSD Is essentially a SW license to get the latest software and features and be on the verge of the greatest developments possible.

My judgement is FSD is one of the major ownership reasons and it is about to increase in price, even though I understand pricing can change depending on the demand.

Tesla is focusing all their future developments on FSD features and considering how crappy they are building the cars, I figured that without ability to get new real features (I am not talking about cuphead or emmision testing mode) this car not even worth it, there are 100x times much nicer cars out there with better build quality, handleg, etc.

So, decided I am all in :)

Talking about quality:
This is my second Model 3 actually.
The 1st one was early production RWD car, VIN 22xxx, which was much better quality overall. No paint issues, alignment problems or whatsoever, at least met my expectations.
I got that one with Enhanced AP for 5k and later updated to FSD for 2k mostly for HW3 upgrade perspective.

The new one is AWD, VIN 492xxx, came with AP and HW3 standard. The build quality is utter garbage, numerous paint issues, misalignment of panels, door handles, misaligned wheels, missing clips all over the car.
Guess this is how they scale the production.

Genuinely curious. Those (and OP of course) who buy FSD just hoping it will get better, do you have a lot of disposable income?

We thought it was absolutely ridiculous to fork out $75k (Canadian) for a reasonably long-range AWD EV, but we thought it was best to give that to the company currently with the most momentum with EVs in hopes that they one day bring the price and longevity of EVs down to gas car territory. If I were being honest, I find the whole robotaxi idea disappointing but I can understand the motivations in terms of revenue. Keep in mind what everyone quotes re: robotaxis is that they will increase the car's value, raise the base prices, etc. Instead of the original vision of mass market adoption of EVs, this actually puts EVs solely in the hands of the rich.

Of course, in a country and province where Winter very certainly exists, I have my doubts that FSD will work with the current hardware. Lanes go away. 4 lane highways become 2 lane highways, with the new 2 lanes crossing the original lines. Cameras and sensors constantly get dirty with no way of cleaning them while driving. The very fact you can obscure a camera with a one square inch patch being dirty is a large part of the problem -- human drivers have around half the windshield usable from their position in order to navigate. That all said, I could definitely see robotaxis working in cities and such where nasty weather problems don't exist and lines stay painted for more than one year.

Anyhow that was a tangent...

Model 3 is a $30k car with a $30k battery.

THIS!!!

My judgement is FSD is one of the major ownership reasons and it is about to increase in price

multiple people have confirmed on this and other forums that if you contact tesla, they will honor the price that you agreed to when you bought the car (i.e. if you bought years ago with EAP and the option to get FSD at $4k, they will honor $4k if you ask).

i'll think about buying FSD when i get actual features with it....actual features, not "elon time" features.

Hm. I'm the other way around. I'm all out of FSD.

In September we ordered an M3 straight from inventory that initially had FSD enabled. One peculiar thing in NL with that is that tax-wise this is very unwise. Don't ask, long story, bottom line is that you pay tax over any pre-mounted extras like FSD for a long time. Better to order a car without and add it after the initial sale. So we asked: can FSD be disabled and the car made €6400,- cheaper? Tesla said: no problem, toggled a bit somewhere and hey, we got a car without FSD.

To be honest, after this decision and before the M3 was delivered to us I had a lot of second thoughts along the line of those in the OP. After all, a big part of getting a Tesla is FSD like features. But after owning and driving the M3 for a month now those second thoughts are well and truly gone. If the way TACC and lane keeping currently operate on our roads and in our traffic are any indication I would be flabbergasted if FSD would be a viable thing anytime before 2030. Both as in trusted enough by me as well as in certified by our governments. By then this M3 is probably worth less than the FSD option today and most likely replaced by something else.
I consider myself very lucky we decided not to pay for this option earlier and no way we are going to pay for it now.

Don't get me wrong, apart from TACC and AP (lane keeping) I am really fond of our M3. It is a very nice car to have, with a lot of aspects I really like. It is quick, silent, and relatively cheap to run. It goes a long way, is state of the art, beautiful, different from any other car I owned in a positive way and filled with solutions that make me wonder if other car makers have been asleep at the wheel, so to speak. It has the property Amazon's Kindle aims for: the device itself disappears and you are immersed in the drive.

And panel gaps? To be honest, I never looked closely at the panel gaps in any of the vehicles I owned. I could not say if they were better or worse.

Hm. I'm the other way around. I'm all out of FSD.
If the way TACC and lane keeping currently operate on our roads and in our traffic are any indication I would be flabbergasted if FSD would be a viable thing anytime before 2030.

There's some question as to whether autopilot and FSD are variants of the same software, ie. they may have something much better, but yes, no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt seeing what we have w/ autopilot. A lot of people say differently, and maybe these have the older autopilot hardware.

Both of my cars are from 2018 and both are substandard quality for $55k-$60k range. Model 3 is a $30k car with a $30k battery.

I got this car because its best in class for advanced cruise control. I bought FSD but don’t think I can nap to work until 2030.
I’ll be retired by 2030 :(. Maybe it can drive me to the mall so i can do my calisthenics at 9am.

I happen to think the Model 3 is the absolute best car you can buy hands down, and I don’t have either AP or FSD, nor do I have any interest in it. And my build quality is excellent, and has required absolutely zero trips to a service center.

My car had a couple minor delivery issues (misaligned trim) but other than that, it's been flawless, is great fun to drive, quiet and quick. Self driving and all is interesting but not even on my radar as a reason I bought the car. I wanted a good, long range EV and I've got one.

Reactions: iPlug
i'll think about buying FSD when i get actual features with it....actual features, not "elon time" features.
agreed. at the moment, fsd is immature, and cost tons. it's priced for early-adopters.

when it becomes better and ready for the mass market, it's only going to get cheaper. especially being code rather than hardware. and keep in mind competition is moving in parallel direction as well.

Reactions: jedi2b