Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Pads/Fluid for Track : How far to go?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm going to be getting my braking setup for my P3D+ improved with fluids/pads to be better on track. How far should I go?

For fluid, I've heard go for Castrol SRF or Motul RBF 600. Is there any reason to worry about performance fluid other than cost? Are there others I should consider? My understanding of this is to just not boil your fluid under normal racing and it doesn't really affect day to day driving. How often do you have to replace brake fluid if you are tracking?

For pads, how do tesla specific solutions (e.g. Unplugged Performance Sport Brake Pads for Tesla Model 3 Performance ) compare to something like EBC yellowstuff? Yellowstuff Fastest Street, Race & Drift Racing Brake Pads

would aftermarket products for normal track usage even fit the P3D+? I'm not interested in changing the rotors or calipers at this time.

How to balance pads for track vs regular driving? Obviously the advantage of tesla is you can regen brake most of the time while daily driving and it's not a big deal to have more track oriented pads.

Castrol SRF is the superior fluid for "Set it and forget it" Those that don't change fluid every 6 months or so. Motul is slightly better initially with a higher dry boiling point, but has a lower wet boiling point than SRF. Motul is better for those that are ok with more frequent fluid changes. SRF is fine at 2 year intervals.

As far as how far to go, you will be pretty well off with just upgraded fluid, unless you are really chasing time on a road course. Once you are late braking every corner on a real track its time for at least fluid, and likely pads.

In my discussion with Unplugged they indicated the pad compound is similar to Hawk HP, and below HP+. Not sure how that compares to EBC Yellow stuff. I have just replaced all pads with the UP pads and replaced the brake fluid with SRF on my P3D, so we will see whats what tomorrow at Buttonwillow. I was able to boil the fluid last time, hopefully tomorrow gives better braking performance.

I've done Motul fluid with the Unplugged Pads and it is WAY better than stock. I'm using a fairly aggressive compound (it was one of their first pairs) and i'm not positive how it compares with the currently sold version on the website, but even mine doesn't really make any noise or have any problems during street use. And like you said, we barely use the brakes on the street anyway.

Pads and fluid is pretty much all you really need, though larger rotors would be nice.

I'll be using an even better solution for Tesla Corsa tomorrow tho...but this is overkill :D

CarbonBrakes.jpg

EBC yellowstuff is fine as a compromise pad, but you need to keep a close eye on rapid wear on track. On my Golf R they went from working great at half thickness to rubbing the backing plates in one session.

They were okay on the street and back roads though, and dust was bearable.

I've done Motul fluid with the Unplugged Pads and it is WAY better than stock. I'm using a fairly aggressive compound (it was one of their first pairs) and i'm not positive how it compares with the currently sold version on the website, but even mine doesn't really make any noise or have any problems during street use. And like you said, we barely use the brakes on the street anyway.

Pads and fluid is pretty much all you really need, though larger rotors would be nice.

I'll be using an even better solution for Tesla Corsa tomorrow tho...but this is overkill :D

View attachment 392033

You are fully Unplugged, easily over $15k of Unplugged products visible in that photo.

Last edited:
Reactions: wenkan
You are fully Unplugged, easily over $15k of Unplugged products visible in that photo.
Yeah, but he's not paying for it. Cool looking but not really necessary. Can't blame him if UP is letting him run them for free as a tester though.

Also, wouldn't running carbon ceramic up front but stock in the rear like that create all sorts of weird unbalanced brake bias issues? Will be interested to hear how it performs at the track today.

So other than unplugged, I'm not seeing any recommendations for track brake pads? And unplugged doesn't have rears in stock

also, what's the benefit of stainless steel brake lines?
Mostly more linear, firmer brake pedal feel.

MPP has P3D+ track pads in development, but I think UP is probably your best bet right now if you need them soon.

So other than unplugged, I'm not seeing any recommendations for track brake pads? And unplugged doesn't have rears in stock

The rear pad is pretty tricky, it has a certain geometrical feature that has proven hard for aftermarket vendors to find/source - but should be coming soon! I have a set of the UP rear pads and they are great.

Yeah, but he's not paying for it. Cool looking but not really necessary. Can't blame him if UP is letting him run them for free as a tester though.

Exactly :) I'm testing the carbon brakes, wheels, carbon bumper/diffuser and rear spoiler. Everything else on my car i've paid for and truly enjoy (see my signature for details). Main goal was to allow Randy Pobst to try a heavily modified Model 3 at Tesla Corsa.

Reactions: is2scooby