Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new Model S quality issues take months to resolve

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quality has definitely taken a nosedive. My 2014 P85 was flawless at delivery. I ordered one of the first P100Ds in late August, and it had so many problems that I refused delivery and had them build a new one. I took delivery of the second vehicle despite several minor issues, then discovered a serious windshield glass defect that is only visible when the sun is near the horizon. (I posted about both of these experiences in other threads.) Had that defect been visible at the time of delivery, I would have refused delivery the second time as well. I really thought, after the first debacle, that the second car would be nearly perfect at delivery. Nope.

At least they've been good about service. They drove a loaner -- another P100D -- out to my house (half hour from Fremont factory) and took my car back for repairs. We'll see what happens from here.

Amusing footnote to this: while driving home to meet the Tesla rep who was bringing the loaner out, an old lady side-swiped my brand new car. She was in the lane to my left, directly next to me, and just swerved over. Fortunately it was just a mirror-to-mirror hit, so all I need is a new left skullcap. But damn, it feels like this vehicle is cursed. Maybe the universe just doesn't want me in a P100D.

Quality has definitely taken a nosedive. My 2014 P85 was flawless at delivery. I ordered one of the first P100Ds in late August, and it had so many problems that I refused delivery and had them build a new one. I took delivery of the second vehicle despite several minor issues, then discovered a serious windshield glass defect that is only visible when the sun is near the horizon. (I posted about both of these experiences in other threads.) Had that defect been visible at the time of delivery, I would have refused delivery the second time as well. I really thought, after the first debacle, that the second car would be nearly perfect at delivery. Nope.

At least they've been good about service. They drove a loaner -- another P100D -- out to my house (half hour from Fremont factory) and took my car back for repairs. We'll see what happens from here.

Amusing footnote to this: while driving home to meet the Tesla rep who was bringing the loaner out, an old lady side-swiped my brand new car. She was in the lane to my left, directly next to me, and just swerved over. Fortunately it was just a mirror-to-mirror hit, so all I need is a new left skullcap. But damn, it feels like this vehicle is cursed. Maybe the universe just doesn't want me in a P100D.
Wow, you've had a string of bad luck. Sometimes that's followed by a period of good luck so there's a silver lining.

I waited in line for my M3 reservation and have always wanted a Tesla. I'm almost positive I'm going to cancel my order at this point. The amount of issues with these cars and the time it takes to get them fixed now when the M3 isn't even out is troubling. Also they are rushing to get the car made without much testing. I'm realizing having owned many Lexus and being used to quality built cars I'm not sure I can handle spending 60k on a car that without a doubt will be at the service center. I have waited years to buy a Tesla but it seems like I might wait a few more to see if they get the issues solved.

FWIW, despite some of the concerns and real issues you see here, Tesla does actually deliver quality cars far more often than it doesn't. It's just here, you are going to see all the bad with very little of the good.

I wouldn't give up just yet...

Jeff

Reactions: EarlyAdopter
Oh man, that does not look like petty or insignificant cause for concern. Those manufacturering errors are almost blatant. I'm sorry to see that. I had an error in my paint as well and it took an extra week for them to correct it. It seems quite minor compared to your issues. I agree with others that you should try to get your money back and maybe try to get a new one off the line. Despite the QC issues, the car is amazing and you won't regret it once you have it!

Despite the QC issues, the car is amazing and you won't regret it once you have it!

Very true. Non-owners just don't understand. I've been in a Tesla since 2014. It's not just that I love Tesla, it's that everything else seems so primitive by comparison. My wife and I have been shopping for a real SUV (Model X has lots of S but not enough U to be our V) for several months now, and they're all just so disappointing. You hit the gas and nothing happens. The cockpit is a cluttered mess. The engine is loud as hell. Although they do all have CarPlay *cough*.

You should definitely expect and get a "perfect" car at this price, unfortunately, in my experience Tesla is just unable to deliver. We still really, really like our cars, and just purchased a second, more expensive, one. This time, my expectations on the quality of the car is significantly lower and I have accepted that many things are just "close enough".

I'm realizing having owned many Lexus and being used to quality built cars I'm not sure I can handle...

I couldn't handle having to drive an ICE.

...spending 60k on a car that without a doubt will be at the service center.

No -- wrong. Your Lexus "without a doubt will be at the service centre" or you will void your warranty if you don't change that dirty oil.

The only "doubt" is whether a Tesla will need service at all.

People with problems post them on forums. No one comes here and posts "no problems -- all is well". At the same time, Tesla is not Lexus. Lexus (Toyota) has been around since the 1930's and Tesla has only been building cars very recently. If you are looking for perfection when it come to fit and finish, you are best off looking elsewhere. If you are looking for what is, in my view, the best driving experience available -- being instant fast torque, near silent acceleration, and no spewing of toxic fumes, plus no concern about throwing the mileage out the window because you drive with a lead foot, the supercharger network, and so much more -- then say goodbye to all of that with your Model 3 cancellation and enjoy the fine finish of your Lexus.

To each their own.

But to the OP -- this post is no excuse for Tesla and I hope all of your problems get fixed and fast.

Last edited:
I have to chime in on this thread. My 2013 MS60 had its own share of issues when first delivered (door handles, drive unit replaced, etc) everything was finally corrected 42,000 miles later (this year) and of course the refresh model came out and I was ready to trade up to a 90D. The quality in this July 2016 delivered car was sadly not a match for my 2013 model. Rear bumper not fully painted. Front windshield not aligned with body panels. Numerous small paint imperfections. Center touchscreen fan bearing shot. New style headlight buzzing. Front motor mount clunk. Aluminum hood feels significantly thinner (and cheaper) than the 2013. I love Tesla as a company. I'll continue to support them. I feel disappointed. This was not the experience I was hoping for on round two of my Tesla experience. I feel your pain.

No -- wrong. Your Lexus "without a doubt will be at the service centre" or you will void your warranty if you don't change that dirty oil.

People with problems post them on forums. No one comes here and posts "no problems -- all is well". At the same time, Tesla is not Lexus. Lexus (Toyota) has been around since the 1930's and Tesla has only been building cars very recently. If you are looking for perfection when it come to fit and finish, you are best off looking elsewhere. If you are looking for what is, in my view, the best driving experience available -- being instant fast torque, near silent acceleration, and no spewing of toxic fumes, plus no concern about throwing the mileage out the window because you drive with a lead foot, the supercharger network, and so much more -- then say goodbye to all of that with your to your Model 3 cancellation and enjoy the fine finish of your Lexus.

To each their own.

But to the OP -- this post is no excuse for Tesla and I hope all of your problems get fixed and fast.
You should be able to get both fit and finish and the best driving experience. My car had zero problems with fit and finish and I've yet to take it in for a problem in the 13 months I've owned it. I can understand the X issues because it was new technology but the S should be perfect. I sure hope they aren't rushing these out the door without the white glove treatment.

Reactions: davidc18
You should be able to get both fit and finish and the best driving experience.

Agreed but Tesla is not there yet, unfortunately, despite your good experience. Still, that won't stop me from buying another one. In fact, the thought of buying any new ICE vehicle isn't a thought I have at all. I was trying to convey that to @Neohippy since it wouldn't be fair to tell prospective buyers that the fit and finish of a Tesla is up to that of a Lexus. It's not. Having said that, I'll still take my Tesla's finish and minimalist interior, large screen, etc. over that of a Lexus any day, but the quality of the actual fit and finish is better on a Luxus. But you couldn't pay me to buy a Lexus, unless I can sell it immediately and keep the money, since having a perfect fit and finish Lexus in my driveway is just a waste of space to me. I'll take my Tesla, whose one door handle needed fixing, rear light had condensation, charging lock failed to work, and a few other minor things that were quickly fixed, any day, without even thinking twice about it.

Agreed but Tesla is not there yet, unfortunately, despite your good experience. Still, that won't stop me from buying another one. In fact, the thought of buying any new ICE vehicle isn't a thought I have at all. I was trying to convey that to @Neohippy since it wouldn't be fair to tell prospective buyers that the fit and finish of a Tesla is up to that of a Lexus. It's not. Having said that, I'll still take my Tesla's finish and minimalist interior, large screen, etc. over that of a Lexus any day, but the quality of the actual fit and finish is better on a Luxus. But you couldn't pay me to buy a Lexus, unless I can sell it immediately and keep the money, since having a perfect fit and finish Lexus in my driveway is just a waste of space to me. I'll take my Tesla, whose one door handle needed fixing, rear light had condensation, charging lock failed to work, and a few other minor things that were quickly fixed, any day, without even thinking twice about it.

100% agreed with your comment. There is nothing on the market today that I would take over a Tesla S or X at any price. Even with this much pain around quality of finish.

BTW an update on this case: the local service manager just called me and we have agreed on most of the terms. They'll fix the issues and have the car ready by next Wed Oct 12th. Not holding my breath, but I guess this is a step in the right direction.

I also raised the fact that if I have a service plan, what good is it if an appointment takes a month to book and they need 2 months to get some parts for a car under warranty. He assured me that they are aiming for a 5 day booking time and a couple days max for general maintenance items. Not holding my breath here either. I wish it would happen...

Was this an inventory vehicles. Those small imperfections looks like it is an inventory vehicle from the picture you uploaded. Now I do agree they should make it right, some of the imperfections you showed is part of buying an inventory vehicle. I had a few. But I didn't complain too much about it. Sure i couldve ask them to fix it right there and then, but it seems more of trouble than to live with it as you have pointed out. Some are really hard to see unless I point it out.

Anyways good luck with your vehicle.

Consumer Reports has removed the model S from its recommended list of cars due to the quality problems reported from its extensive readership survey. I leased a 90D. 6 weeks to get an appointment at the service center to fix quality issues. Service center one hour drive away, no longer does door to door service (which BMW does). Unacceptable front motor whine developed after 1500 miles. I was told this was normal and would not improve with a new motor. Numerous other quality issues that I have never experienced in the last 7 cars I have owned (4 BMW's, Mercedes, Chevy Volt and Subaru). I returned my vehicle under the Happiness Guarantee, which I understand has since been eliminated. So much time and effort spent on this car. I am glad I returned it.

FWIW, despite some of the concerns and real issues you see here, Tesla does actually deliver quality cars far more often than it doesn't. It's just here, you are going to see all the bad with very little of the good.

I wouldn't give up just yet...

Jeff
This forum is populated by hard core fans.. The simple fact that numerous fans of the brand complain about QC issues raises red flags.

Btw its not just here.. Look at consumer reports and true delta. It doesn't look good. And when you combine that with expensive repairs cost it becomes even a greater problem.

That doesn't mean that their cars should necessarily be avoided btw. But we should not ignore it.

People with problems post them on forums. No one comes here and posts "no problems -- all is well". At the same time, Tesla is not Lexus. Lexus (Toyota) has been around since the 1930's and Tesla has only been building cars very recently. If you are looking for perfection when it come to fit and finish, you are best off looking elsewhere. If you are looking for what is, in my view, the best driving experience available -- being instant fast torque, near silent acceleration, and no spewing of toxic fumes, plus no concern about throwing the mileage out the window because you drive with a lead foot, the supercharger network, and so much more -- then say goodbye to all of that with your Model 3 cancellation and enjoy the fine finish of your Lexus.

To each their own.
The Tesla was the best driving experience of any car I have driven and that's why I can see people ignoring the problems. I'm extremely disappointed to see all the negative posts. Everyone thinks people just post negative but what about the people that have problems and don't post at all? Tesla just delivered the most cars ever this quarter. Some had bumpers that didn't even match in paint. How does this happen? They are rushing. You always see cars being tested by manufacturers yet Tesla is delivering the M3 next year and none are built. I have bought many pre-owned cars and would already have a Model S in my driveway with the deals offered if i had faith. If the Model 3 has problems good luck getting your car in for service. Who wants to buy a new car and then be driving a rental car? Or just accept you paid a lot for a car that is far from perfect? You are a fool if you don't buy a extended warranty which is another expense. People say Tesla's will last forever and cost barely anything to own yet the 1st year of ownership they are getting fixed. Elon has too much on his plate with SpaceX and Ai. If he could focus on Tesla it would help. The MS has been out almost 5 years and the car they build today has better technology but the actual "car" is stil not built well

Reactions: Fonzi'sGF