Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new Model S quality issues take months to resolve

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not surprized about the Tesla-Bashing on this forum. More or less between the lines. Simply because as the saying goes "where is much light... is much shadow"
As soon as the Model S came out, the German Motoring Magazines were full of negative comments. But it gotten less and less, because the number of sales had actually increased. The real "slap in the face" came when almost 1/2 million reservation in just a month were made for the Model 3. It caused a stir in Germany. The Big Car companies still have emergerncy meetings, still fire strategist and designers etc. because they could not believe that all of their designs and new models and features had missed the market. For the first time they had to accept that the customer wanted something else. And Tesla gave the answer.
I remember the rediculing comments about Tesla which came out in the early years. But that is over. Considering the car You can now pick up after only 4 or 5 Years of development, only very few to no recalls were made. OK, ok the Drive Unit was an issue, simply because there is no other component anywhere in any car which has the power density as in a Tesla: A Motor barely the size of a football delivering 500 HP
But as soon as the 4WD was out hardly any failures reported, simply because the power ist being split up on F and R axles (IMO).

Just for the record: I had ZERO problems on my Roadster (5 Years) and ZERO problems on my Model S (1 and 1/2 years)

You know, considering how many more sales are happening, I don't think these issues are coming up that often.

I'm sure Tesla is having some growing pains and they are to be expected. But, the forum isn't full of thousands of complaints and 25,000 cars were delivered this quarter. So just remember, if you hear some more complaints, the denominator is much higher.

May 2015 - one dealer visit for a loose armrest. Took an hour. Next day appt. Still haven't serviced car - 28k miles. So no ICE car has ever been this convenient for me. Even the Leaf went in for a BS but free annual. Stayed there all day - no loaner.

But sadly in bodyshop for a non Tesla issue until Friday. :mad:

Was this an inventory vehicles. Those small imperfections looks like it is an inventory vehicle from the picture you uploaded. Now I do agree they should make it right, some of the imperfections you showed is part of buying an inventory vehicle. I had a few. But I didn't complain too much about it. Sure i couldve ask them to fix it right there and then, but it seems more of trouble than to live with it as you have pointed out. Some are really hard to see unless I point it out.

Anyways good luck with your vehicle.

Not inventory as far as I know.. 'Made to order' :)

Consumer Reports has removed the model S from its recommended list of cars due to the quality problems reported from its extensive readership survey. I leased a 90D. 6 weeks to get an appointment at the service center to fix quality issues. Service center one hour drive away, no longer does door to door service (which BMW does). Unacceptable front motor whine developed after 1500 miles. I was told this was normal and would not improve with a new motor. Numerous other quality issues that I have never experienced in the last 7 cars I have owned (4 BMW's, Mercedes, Chevy Volt and Subaru). I returned my vehicle under the Happiness Guarantee, which I understand has since been eliminated. So much time and effort spent on this car. I am glad I returned it.

So what did you get afterwards..? Returned to the ICE world?

One of our cars was a Chevy Volt which we traded in for the Tesla, so we are replacing that with a Subaru Outback. We have another Subaru coming off lease. We have excess solar power from our panels and I am a driver and really like the torque of an electric vehicle. Will consider the Bolt when it comes out. Will also seriously consider another Model S if I can be satisfied that our overloaded service center can fix itself, and if Tesla objectively fixes its quality issues.

Update: I did receive my car back with still bad headlights that apparently have raised an internal problem due to manufacturing defects in most S LED headlights, a newly damaged hood by tesla or body shop personnel (with the promise that I get a new painted one, or a repaint <- not entertained by that), many items not resolved yet and my front windshield tint scratched by service personnel. On top of this, there are rough panels on the outside of the car and matte spots on the paint, rough to the touch, confirmed by Tesla personnel. I will do my best to polish these out, but I have a slight feeling that the bodywork got damaged by some sort of solvent in the body shop. Should that be the case, I will be super unhappy about this whole situation considering not only the hood getting damaged but parts of the car on which nobody was even working on...

Very sorry to hear about your troubles.

Update: I did receive my car back with still bad headlights that apparently have raised an internal problem due to manufacturing defects in most S LED headlights, a newly damaged hood by tesla or body shop personnel (with the promise that I get a new painted one, or a repaint <- not entertained by that), many items not resolved yet and my front windshield tint scratched by service personnel. On top of this, there are rough panels on the outside of the car and matte spots on the paint, rough to the touch, confirmed by Tesla personnel. I will do my best to polish these out, but I have a slight feeling that the bodywork got damaged by some sort of solvent in the body shop. Should that be the case, I will be super unhappy about this whole situation considering not only the hood getting damaged but parts of the car on which nobody was even working on...

Very sorry to hear about your troubles.

I guess lowering your expectations and if possible, doing the work yourself is the best way to go about these kind of issues. My car is still amazing, MUCH better than the loaner that was only 1 year old (both in terms of improvements, build quality, suspension, etc) but the company just does not seem to be delivering the craftmanship that I have expected from them at this price range. IF there was an alternative vehicle on the market, I might be tempted, but since there isn't one AT THE MOMENT, I will try to fix everything with them or myself and move on...

Reactions: davidc18
Consumer Reports has removed the model S from its recommended list of cars due to the quality problems reported from its extensive readership survey. I leased a 90D. 6 weeks to get an appointment at the service center to fix quality issues. Service center one hour drive away, no longer does door to door service (which BMW does). Unacceptable front motor whine developed after 1500 miles. I was told this was normal and would not improve with a new motor. Numerous other quality issues that I have never experienced in the last 7 cars I have owned (4 BMW's, Mercedes, Chevy Volt and Subaru). I returned my vehicle under the Happiness Guarantee, which I understand has since been eliminated. So much time and effort spent on this car. I am glad I returned it.
I was never offered door to door service with the BMW I had.

Not sure if it is dealer specific or a BMW corporate policy but we have always had pickup and delivery from BMW of Manhattan and BMW of Southampton, both during the no cost 4 year maintenance period, and afterwards.
You were lucky then. It was hard enough to actually get my dealer to repair the car under warranty, let alone get them to do anything else.

• Funny
Reactions: gabeincal
I'm sorry or your troubles. It's a shame because the car truly is in a class by itself.

Service center wait times vary wildly depending on where you live. I would suspect that wait times are much longer in the Bay Area, than in places like Atlanta. Food for thought for others trying to decide on whether to purchase.

Reactions: gabeincal
I'm sorry or your troubles. It's a shame because the car truly is in a class by itself.

Service center wait times vary wildly depending on where you live. I would suspect that wait times are much longer in the Bay Area, than in places like Atlanta. Food for thought for others trying to decide on whether to purchase.

In Atlanta the wait time is a month.

BTW amongst many things my rear trunk seal got replaced. Entertaining to look at the fitting of it especially on the bottom

IMG_8989.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
BTW amongst many things my rear trunk seal got replaced. Entertaining to look at the fitting of it especially on the bottom

View attachment 198829

I don't see what the issue is in your picture... The best I can tell is there is some waviness in the bottom of the seal but if you're going to be that nit picky then it's hard to take the rest of your complaints all that seriously...

Jeff

• Disagree
Reactions: Polyport and Lump
I don't see what the issue is in your picture... The best I can tell is there is some waviness in the bottom of the seal but if you're going to be that nit picky then it's hard to take the rest of your complaints all that seriously...

Jeff

Sure. I'm 'nit picky' over an $80k brand new car's trunk seal, that was damaged in the beginning, so got replaced after 2 months and not put on properly. Everybody can make a decision whether I'm reasonable or not.

How was it not put on properly? It looks pretty well seated and installed to me.

Jeff

You inspired me to investigate and fix. See before (red oval and red arrow) and after pics.

IMG_8996.JPG

IMG_8997.JPG The seal that the red arrow points to needs to be UNDER the plastic just like shown in the following pic

IMG_9001.JPG

And how it should've been done in the first place:

IMG_9002.JPG

Not a biggie, but still...