Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Browser - access to specific sites?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As most are aware the browser has been disabled in Australia to keep the regulators happy.

I don’t know if it is possible but I wonder if certain apps or web sites can be made accessible. After we have canvased the idea here I will email Tesla.

The first one I would want would be www.evtripplanner.com as this is a worldwide app you would think that some integration with the browser would be of value to other markets as well as Australia.
EV Trip Planner looks very good and from all reports this seems a fantastic app. I decided to donate a reasonable sum when I saw that it was developed by a 16 yo to fund his college costs.

The other issue is access to warnings regarding Speed Cameras. This is currently on my TomTom and, I assume on the other navigations solutions. However, I have not seen any reference to them on the Tesla navigation options nor on the Google maps.

It would be useful to have this information providing visible and audible warnings.

Speed Camera info is publically available in Victoria (and I think all States) and there is a map on the Government web site: http://www.camerassavelives.vic.gov.au/home/locations/camera_locations_map_-_enlarged_version
At the very least it would be nice to be able to access this map.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions before I contact Tesla?

Cheers
Higgy

If the regulators are really interested in safety, it would seem that they might agree to allowing web browsing when the car is in Park, which should be a reasonable software change for Tesla. I'd be surprised if they would allow access to any website while driving: that would contradict their presumed reasoning.

It does seem sensible to allow web browsing in park, but how would this be enforceable? - if you were sitting at a set of traffic lights, and an officer went by (cruising past on a motorbike, as they do) - how would they/you be able to prove the car was/wasn't in park? - is the officer supposed to have vehicle specific knowledge?

Well, we do have access to specific browser windows now - we just have limited interactivity. For instance Google maps, TuneIn, Rdio. We have access but these are via some interface that ensures we can only access limited functionality.

What I would envisage is providing the same limited access to a few specific sites.

My previous three cars (VE Calais, Audi and Merc) had video players that wouldn't play on the main display (just rear screens) when the car was in motion, but would display when stationary. So I assume that similar logic and laws would apply for browsing.

The Tesla browser won't show videos so maybe just disable interactivity when the car is in motion. Maybe this won't stop people reading the smh/age/etc while driving. But then again you could just read a paper copy if you are that way inclined ! Heck, at the moment I could read the Tesla manual on the screen while driving (maybe I shouldn't say that too loud).

The Nannies might be happy if it blanked out when in motion.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd love access to the weather maps at the BOM site. I'm aware that the animation won't work but its helpful to see the rain patterns anyway

Great point. Surely that would make driving and driving choices better and safer.

from the australian road rules 2014

"
299—Television receivers and visual
display units in
motor vehicles
(1) A driver must not drive a motor vehicle that has a television receiver or visual display
unit in or on the vehicle operating while the vehicle is moving, or is stationary but not
parked, if any part of the image on the screen—
(a) is visible to the driver from the normal driving position; or
(b) is likely to distract another driver.
Offence provision. "

so the exception is
"This rule does not apply to the driver if—
(a) the driver is driving a bus and the visual display unit is, or displays, a destination sign or other bus sign; or
(ab) the vehicle is a motor bike and the visual display unit is, or is part of, a driver's aid, and the driver is not holding the visual display unit in his or her
hand; or
(b) the vehicle is not a motor bike and the visual display unit is, or is part of, a
driver's aid and either—
(i) is an integrated part of the vehicle design; or
(ii) is secured in a mounting affixed to the vehicle while being used; "

Examples of driver's aids—
1 Closed-circuit television security cameras.
2 Dispatch systems.
3 Navigational or intelligent highway and vehicle system equipment.
4 Rearview screens.
5 Ticket-issuing machines.
6 Vehicle monitoring devices.

so yes if tesla as a bush lawyer i would say a restricted version of the browser would work with sites which only display maps... but that might bring on other legal problems if tesla are too pickie with who they let through. and who would be responsible if the site was hijacked and no longer counted as a drivers aid. South Australian Legislation

Last edited:
It's actually simple. Put it in park and browser will work for all sites. Put it in drive or reverse and browser turns off. It's up to tesla to implement that and our government would be fine with it. Many other car companies already do this with in car TV's and video players.

It's actually simple. Put it in park and browser will work for all sites. Put it in drive or reverse and browser turns off. It's up to tesla to implement that and our government would be fine with it. Many other car companies already do this with in car TV's and video players.

Agreed, although I'd like to point out that BMWs system reads and displays both emails and txt messages....

I think the lack of browser (even while parked) is something we should collectively take on.

Has anybody officially asked Tesla Australia?

Agreed. The legislation clearly allows for it provided it's not operable while the vehicle is moving, Tesla have just taken the easy approach of removing it. Should be trivial for them to reinstate it but just disable access when in motion. From the couple of conversations I've had the local Tesla people are completely onside with that, so it might be more Tesla HQ that needs lobbying?