TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

bubbles on touchscreen

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by demundus, Oct 18, 2015.

1. googlepeakoil

googlepeakoil Member

Ironically this means the problem gets worse as the situation gets sunnier. It's sunny (and hot) - the car responds "let's turn up the brightness" and generate more heat - melt the glue extra fast!

2. Cyclone

Cyclone Cyclonic Member ((.oO))

Some bubbles appeared in my car's screen on Monday. Called the Service Center and they fixed it on Wednesday. As has been the direction as of late, they did not replace the entire MCU, but instead just the screen.

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  3. marcad80

marcad80 Member

I just joined the leaking screen club. Hope they replace my carpet as well.....

MS 2013 10xxx 39000 miles

This reminds me of the old drive unit epidemic.

4. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

Annnnd. Today I join the bubble screen club.

♫ Tiny bubbles..♫...in my touchscreeen....♫

Fortunately, still under CPO warranty.

MS 2013, January 2013 build, P040xx, 40k miles

• Like x 1
  5. Jdcorbitt3

Jdcorbitt3 Member

I have had tiny bubbles since March of last year. Two days ago, they expanded rapidly. What is sad, I noticed the bubbles while still in warranty and didn't say anything. Now out of warranty, I will not be replacing the display until Tesla starts covering it. This appears to be a 100% failure item, depending on temperature. I am confident Tesla will do the right thing as other manufacturers, like Toyota, which their head gasket issue, and Mazda did with their RX-8 engine. I never had a problem with my RX-8 but Mazda, extended all the engines out to 100,000 miles. These early adopter cars are where the long term bugs will show their ugly heads. Fortunately for Tesla there are relativley few (25,000 to 50,000) units as opposed to companies like Ford that have had to replace assemblies in over 1,000,000 units.

Attached Files:

6. demundus

demundus Member

I respect your position, but I think you'll get a lot more upset when you start dripping industrial adhesive all over your floormats. I used to keep a towel below the MCU lol...

7. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

This is clearly a design defect that should be covered out of warranty. Have you considered taking Tesla to small claims court?

8. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

Jdcorbitt3, I would highly recommend taking it in for replacement and fighting them on it afterwards if so inclined. Read enough accounts of people who waited too long and it leaked outside of the unit.

9. Jdcorbitt3

Jdcorbitt3 Member

I will reconsider. Monday, i will start with my sales rep, and then the service dept.

John

• Like x 1
  10. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

11. Tripple_T

Tripple_T Cincinnati Member

[QUOTE="although mine is smaller"[/QUOTE]

Give the bubbles a few days and I bet it gets bigger...

12. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

Four years in Arizona heat and no bubbles... (knock wood)

13. Jdcorbitt3

Jdcorbitt3 Member

Ours looked like that for over a year, and then suddenly grew.

John

• Informative x 1
  14. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

My 2 bubbles yesterday are now 4 today :(

15. golfnut

golfnut Member

Bought my Signature MS#272 just about a year ago. Had it's 4yr annual service in Oct. Of course no big issues. Two weeks ago the bubbles appear out of nowhere. The good news is my seller had purchased and passed on to me, the extended warranty. I had read here that while they have the dash opened, I might want to look into getting the LTE upgrade. My 3g service the past few weeks has been horrible for some reason. Loading problems quite often and dropping songs halfway through. So after expressing my frustration with the screen plus the 3g service problem, I was offered a waiver of the $200 deductible for the MCU replacement if I did the LTE upgrade. Decided to do it and I am so glad I did the upgrade. Songs load instantly and have not dropped or produced any load errors. So as much as I hated the screen issue, it did help me make the LTE upgrade decision at the same $500 price I would have paid last year. I don't think they really know if weather is the real reason, but they were quick to offer some $$ relief, so I think they are worried about a larger legal battle if this continues to grow.

16. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

I had a small number of these on my screen. At my 4y service, I brought it to their attention. It was more of an FYI, because they weren't bad. They replaced the entire unit under, as it was under warranty. I generally do not have major problems with the car, but I'm glad I purchased the extended warranty because something is proactively replaced at each service.

17. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Supporting Member

Oh no! I never noticed any bubbles... :(

18. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

I joined the bubble club yesterday at 35 months and 71,500 miles. :(

• Informative x 1
  19. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Supporting Member

giphy-2.gif

• Funny x 1
  20. Jdcorbitt3

Jdcorbitt3 Member

They were "Tiny Bubbles"
    They looked like the delamination around the front windshield which I was also not concerned with. It is part of the manufacturing process on the windshield and I have many different Car windshields with them. It is morphing into one big bubble on th top quarter of the display. No gue coming out the bottom yet, but we have a diaper there to hold the "crap" when it does start to Oooz. I am waiting for the SC to come up with a plan.

John