Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bubbles on touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only issue with buying a salvage part is that the issue is likely to rear it's ugly head again. It's just a matter of time. You could potentially go through 2 salvage screens for every 1 brand new screen. Obviously the newer salvage part, the better.

Not necessarily, you're assuming the issue is both a design issue, and hasn't been fixed. Its quite likely its only a manufacturing issue that effected a small batch of screens. If it was a design issue this thread would be much much longer.

Not necessarily, you're assuming the issue is both a design issue, and hasn't been fixed. Its quite likely its only a manufacturing issue that effected a small batch of screens. If it was a design issue this thread would be much much longer.

There are other threads on this same issue. The bubbles seems to start around the 3 year mark, so we'll see if the trend continues. However, I'm 2 for 2 on bubbles on the 17" LCD. One was already replaced and our second S now has the bubbles.

OK, I've had a small victory with Tesla corporate. They have added the screen as a separate part number that can be ordered. The price I was quoted was $985 + tax. I'm working to get some additional information. That is still twice as much as I would expect for a screen like this, but it is much closer to an acceptable number. I will provide part numbers once I have them.

Tucker

OK, I've had a small victory with Tesla corporate. They have added the screen as a separate part number that can be ordered. The price I was quoted was $985 + tax. I'm working to get some additional information. That is still twice as much as I would expect for a screen like this, but it is much closer to an acceptable number. I will provide part numbers once I have them.

Tucker
This is a big deal.

Reactions: davidc18
Had one screen replaced for this issue last summer under warranty. Can someone that has disassembled the screen/MCU from the trim pieces recommend how to add additional felt tape which would emulate an updated screen?

My observation is merely an educated hunch, however it would be very easy to do and take about 1-2 hours depending on your skill level and understanding. You have to take most of the dash trim off to get to the MCU. You then remove the MCU and the felt is right there lining the screen. You might be able to add more on top, or maybe peel the current off (this is a total guess, it could be seriously glued on there, don't ruin your screen!). It's about 1/8th of an inch in width.

Perhaps someone who has a bench MCU can take a photo... I was going to document my adventure but I was just too in depth to stop and take pictures, although I wish I had.

Here is @wk057's disassembly video, it helped me ALOT

Reactions: apacheguy
OK, I've had a small victory with Tesla corporate. They have added the screen as a separate part number that can be ordered.
The price I was quoted was $985 + tax. I'm working to get some additional information.
That is still twice as much as I would expect for a screen like this, but it is much closer to an acceptable number.
I will provide part numbers once I have them.
Tucker

Way to stick it to the Man... :cool:

Just noticed this issue on mine. Ironically, it is two small bubbles on top, and it became noticeable because the 8.0 update expands the map to full screen which highlighted the issue. On the 7.1 software, the icons on top had a Black background around them, so the issue may have been there but hidden before the 8.0 upgrade.

It could also be due to me just having the LTE upgrade done, and the stress of the screen being removed and re-installed causing the issue.

Ironically, my car being a 2014 is approaching the 3 year mark also so it would fit the timeline for this to happen. The good news in my case is that I'm still a year and at least 8k miles away from warranty expiration so getting this addressed under warranty in my case should be a non issue, and I still have some time before hitting crunch time on the warranty.

Since it appears that this is heat related, with the hot outer trim possibly melting the glue via heat transfer, anyone have any input on this happening more or less with tinted windows or a windshield screen reflector?

I'm kinda hoping that screen #2 will have a more favorable lifespan with tinted windows, windshield reflector and cabin auto cool feature turned on.

Mine being a Florida car, I'm a prime candidate for this to happen again if screen #2 didn't get some engineering upgrades.

Tucker

Did you or anyone get a quote from the SC with installation? Will Tesla now just replace the screen or is this something you can order and install, but the SC will still replace the entire assembly for $2900?

The screen protector of Topfit do me a favor.
Ab0z2izK.jpg
Wut?

Tucker

Any update on this - I also have leaking screen on wife's car

Tucker

Any update on this or part numbers you can share with us?

Reactions: apacheguy
Mine progressed rather quickly from two small bubbles on very top, to an half inch bubble across the top and drooping down close to two inches on the sides. It literally grew over period of a few weeks.

Fortunately, mine is still under warranty and I just picked mine up from the Tesla SC yesterday with a brand new screen.

I really can't say enough good things about the Dania Beach, FL service center. They have literally gone above and beyond on every single issue with my car so far. I really got to give those guys a lot of credit. To say that I'm hugely impressed with everything up to this point would be a major understatement.

Figured I would share my experience on this, as the theme here appears to be, if you see any bubbles forming on the top of the screen, take it in and have the screen replaced as soon as you can. That little bubble will grow from a little birthday balloon size, to Goodyear blimp size, in a matter of weeks...:confused:

I love the look of Tesla. Have my Model 3 reservation from late on day 1. But threads like this, $1300 for broken electronic door handles, the wheel breaking issue ($14k charge after hitting a curb at 10mph), the general astronomical cost of repairs they want to charge make me see Tesla is not the cheap low-maintenance car it promised to be - that one that had no oil, starter motor, clutch, etc. I still love the idea of electric - but am having 2nd thoughts about my reservation.
I recall Elon saying the Model S skateboard would allow many cars to be built off it. That cars would be simple. Then the X came along. Elon then was on a conference call explaining the delays - calling it one of the most complicated cars ever made. Wait - that's quite a change. A car promising to be simple and straight-forward becomes the most complicated in the World. It seems somewhere along the way Elon / Tesla lost the idea of what the electric car was supposed to be!
I recall an early DVD forum thread with lots of americans saying "i won't buy any player until generation 3". Wait for the price to come down and all the technical issues to be resolved. My god does that seem to be true for cars. It's like all the other car companies know not to do stupid things like put in screens that can't survive Arizona sun for >2 years, not make the car over-complicated, use reliable suppliers, engineer stuff not to break.
How much will out of warranty repair Model X doors cost to fix I wonder... a slight fault and it'll probably write the car with SC maintenance / repair costs!
I have a Vauxhall Astra (GM in the US I believe) car. The most expensive repairs in 5 years ownership has been tyres - £60 each. Brake disc one set. £250 (the break pad had scratched the disc) and one breakdown due to a drive belt which damaged a coolant pipe - leaked out, overheated engine. Fixed at a local garage for £350 including callout. That still seemed expensive. Could have been worse. With Tesla it's everything is ridiculously expensive. When I thought it was the cost of the batteries made the car expensive! Seems it's not. Tesla you said the SC's won't be for-profit - how can you charge this much for these things?!? You can buy a Samsung S3 tablet retail for £200 - but a 17" (and the screen is old and slow by modern standards) costs £1000 or £4000 for the MCU? WTF?

Last edited:
Not meant to be snarky, but at what cost? More stress on the A/C components? It's not zero sum. I don't need the car to turn on and cool itself off... while other cars dont have a 17" touch screen to deal with, no car maker has ever felt the need to cool the car off as a feature :confused:

the cost seems to be your electricity bill / reduced mileage !
Maybe the car should come with a roof based one-way air-vent. Heat rises after all. The inside of a car is always hotter than the outside...