Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buffeting/Booming issue survey

What helped to fix booming/buffeting noise in Model Y

• Installed vinyl pipe into a trunk gasket, kept stock rubber stoppers

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • Installed vinyl pipe into a trunk gasket and custom solid stoppers

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Only adjusted the stock rubber stoppers with "envelope test"

Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Only installed custom solid stoppers

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I don't hear any booming/buffeting in my car, it's quiet and awesome

Votes: 71 61.7%
  • Nothing helped, no matter what I tried

Votes: 14 12.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sadly, after 1,300 miles I'm selling my 2023 MYLR and getting a Model 3 because of this issue. To make sure it wasn't just my car, I went to local gallery and test drove the Y and the 3 back to back. Immediately, I noticed that the demo Y had the same low frequency boominess (30-35hz resonance per the Spectroid app) while the 3 did not. I've tried vinyl tubing (5/16" and 3/8") as well as 3d printed stoppers - nothing helped with the low frequency resonance. Life's too short to drive cars with issues that bother you.
In early May I went for a test drive, with a plan to order a MYLR. Having read about booming on the forum I was aware it could be an issue, but was thinking most MY did not have the issue, and was hoping that it would not be bad.

When first driving away I was paying attention to a number of parameters, and the booms did not rise as an immediate issue. However 30 minutes into the test drive I had a headache from the booming.

On return I asked the SC about the noise, and was told he was not aware of any noise issue with model Y. Pushing harder it was acknowledged that some people have “sensitive hearing” and should not buy the car. I was also told all MY are the same, the acoustics are inherent in the vehicle, and there is no “fix” for a problem that officially does not exist. I took a second test drive to make sure I was not over reacting to a false perception. Nope.

My F150 actually is quieter and a smoother ride. I am a lifelong bass player, in no way could my hearing be characterized as “sensitive” to low end rumble.

I drove the 3023 Model 3 SR, and was immediately impressed. Not only was there no booming, but the car was also significantly quieter. The car driving dynamics were also much more to my liking. So I took one home.

I was very glad I took the time to test drive the MY before ordering. I went from really wanting one, to no way would I purchase one. I am pleased with the M3 choice.

I still want to try all these tricks that are listed, but I haven’t had any luck. I have pretty much eliminated this noise temporarily by installing a body pillow in the opening just to isolate it, it’s worth losing my rearview mirror for now.
IMG_5412.jpeg

I’ll copy items here as a text so it’ll easier to find out these by googling. Thanks GeoMetry and please provide feedback did these help or not!

Concern: customer states: there is a booming sound when driving in the car like being inside a subwoofer.
Correction: Install Wedge Dampers (X2) and Seal Stuffers to Liftgate (China Only)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
LIFTGATE MARGIN SEAL - LEFT HAND (1729713-00-B) 1.00
LIFTGATE MARGIN SEAL - RIGHT HAND (1729714-00-B) 1.00
WEDGE DAMPER - LIFTGATE - LEFT HAND (1655164-00-B) 1.00
WEDGE DAMPER - LIFTGATE - RIGHT HAND (1655165-00-B) 1.00
Pay Type: Goodwill - Service

So they finally got the parts and installed them. My first impression is that they made no difference at all. I'm pretty disappointed. here are the pictures.

Attachments

• IMG-1401.jpg
    IMG-1401.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG-1395.jpg
    IMG-1395.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG-1397.jpg
    IMG-1397.jpg
    462 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG-1398.jpg
    IMG-1398.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG-1399.jpg
    IMG-1399.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG-1400.jpg
    IMG-1400.jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 233
I had a 2022 MYLR. Never experienced any booming noises when I hit bumps while driving (did hear them while parked, which I attributed to the heat pump). Sold the car with 22,000 miles on it.

Got a new 2023 in December of 2022. The booming noises from the first day I picked it up were intolerable. I adjusted all 4 stops using tape and grease to get a solid interface. The booking went away.

The hatch leaked though. Every time it rained I’d have water inside the seals pooling where the stops are at the bottom of the hatch.

It’s been a dry year here. Not much rain. I was driving on a trip with a lot of luggage and no parcel shelf. We drove through a very heavy rain storm. All my luggage was soaked.

I didn’t do anything about it. Too busy and kind of moved on. Then my tpms sensor failed so I had to put in a warranty ticket/ service request. I added the leaking trunk issue. I told them about the booming and that I made stop adjustments.

Tesla replaced the seal with new urethane and adjusted the stops. Booming gone- hoping the leaking is too (Tesla claimed to have tested after fixing, and verified prior to performing service).