Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3D Printed Rigid Hatch Stops (to reduce uneven road noise)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just gave them a try. I measured the hatch stops at 11mm/7mm and printed 9mm/5mm respectively. So far there seems to be an improvement but I'll have to try more roads known to cause issues.

Printed in PETG, 100% rectilinear infill and 99.5% scaling on X and Y. They're a touch loose so I might try 99.25% next.

The 7mm stop's in all the way and it's very difficult to pull an envelope out without tearing it. I might end up sanding down the rubber stop to make it a touch shorter.

I printed the rigid hatch stops and it would not fit passed the rubber part of the hatch stop, is it suppose to require a lot of force to get in? I tried even gently tapping it with a rubber mallet but it wouldn't go in. I drive a 2023 MYP, maybe the hatch stop part changed?

Also, for the envelope test, am I suppose to calibrate until the envelope is able to slide out with a bit of force, or is it not suppose to slide out at all, and will be torn? I watched the video of the trunk calibration but still wasn't sure.

I printed the rigid hatch stops and it would not fit passed the rubber part of the hatch stop, is it suppose to require a lot of force to get in? I tried even gently tapping it with a rubber mallet but it wouldn't go in. I drive a 2023 MYP, maybe the hatch stop part changed?

Also, for the envelope test, am I suppose to calibrate until the envelope is able to slide out with a bit of force, or is it not suppose to slide out at all, and will be torn? I watched the video of the trunk calibration but still wasn't sure.

Someone else commented somewhere that they thought the stops looked different. Got any pics?

Does the size or fit seem way off? Or is it just a matter of it being tight? If the latter, maybe you need to scale it up by 1% in your Slicer settings.

Someone else commented somewhere that they thought the stops looked different. Got any pics?

Does the size or fit seem way off? Or is it just a matter of it being tight? If the latter, maybe you need to scale it up by 1% in your Slicer settings.

Here's the photo of the hatch stop. Size or fit doesn't seem way off, it seems like its just barely fitting, so I'll try to scale it up by 1%.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    469.2 KB · Views: 182
Will reprint and update if it works, thanks!

For the envelope test, should I loosen it so I can pull the envelope out with a bit of force? Or is it okay to leave it really tight?

I have a '22 PY from Fremont. I tried the envelope test (but using a double thickness of 20# paper) and both sides are too tight to pull out. OTOH, I haven't noticed any of the symptoms that would require me to make this perfect. I'll probably dig into it again when it's warm enough to wax it.

Just picked up my 2023 Austin 2680 MY, absolutely love the car but omg my inner ears are aching in pain, it's a huge issue obviously. Will try the vinyl tubing thing but wanted to try rigid hatch stops first. I plan on addressing with Tesla as well, have an appt in 1 week to address some dings that were present when I picked up the vehicle. Anyone had any luck with Tesla actually resolving this?

Just picked up my 2023 Austin 2680 MY, absolutely love the car but omg my inner ears are aching in pain, it's a huge issue obviously. Will try the vinyl tubing thing but wanted to try rigid hatch stops first. I plan on addressing with Tesla as well, have an appt in 1 week to address some dings that were present when I picked up the vehicle. Anyone had any luck with Tesla actually resolving this?

Vinyl tubing will have a bigger impact IMO. Both are best. But because vinyl tubing changes the contact point of the stoppers upon closing, doing rigid hatch stops beforehand isn't practical, you'd have to re-print them after doing vinyl tubing for a different height. Similarly, if you make your own rigid hatch stops DIY style.

If you guys knew then what you know now about the buffeting and booming, would you have continued your purchase? My delivery is Thursday but this concerns me
Don’t go down internet rabbit holes. Everyone has something to complain about. Happy people don’t write about happiness as much as people complain about bad things.

As far as I’m concerned, you buy a Tesla for the power, the battery, the charging network and you live with the rest.

If I had to buy another Y today or something else, I would buy another Y.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Vinyl tubing will have a bigger impact IMO. Both are best. But because vinyl tubing changes the contact point of the stoppers upon closing, doing rigid hatch stops beforehand isn't practical, you'd have to re-print them after doing vinyl tubing for a different height. Similarly, if you make your own rigid hatch stops DIY style.
Ahh ok great point. Appreciate the info! Have you heard of Tesla resolving this issue for anyone or is it every man for themselves?

Do the envelope adjustment first. You might not need the 3d printed parts.
I did this I believe. Adjusted the hatch stops so I can't pull an envelope out, may of helped a little but not fully. Not sure about other model years but on my 23 MY the 2 hatch stops above the bumper have an indent that the stops go inside a little so I don't think the envelope test works very well for this reason, the envelope gets pushed down inside the depression and therefore is probably always hard to pull out. I've added the buffeting to my service ticket for my apt on Monday so we'll see what they say. Will report back here if anyone is interested

I did this I believe. Adjusted the hatch stops so I can't pull an envelope out, may of helped a little but not fully. Not sure about other model years but on my 23 MY the 2 hatch stops above the bumper have an indent that the stops go inside a little so I don't think the envelope test works very well for this reason, the envelope gets pushed down inside the depression and therefore is probably always hard to pull out. I've added the buffeting to my service ticket for my apt on Monday so we'll see what they say. Will report back here if anyone is interested
@koio838 : What did the SC say. Did they adjust the hatch and did that improve the buffeting ?

@koio838 : What did the SC say. Did they adjust the hatch and did that improve the buffeting ?
They said they test drove the vehicle on bumpy roads and the tech did not feel any buffeting or ear pain/pressure. I asked to to verify the hatch is aligned properly and still waiting to hear back. They still have the vehicle as there was other dings and stuff they had to correct

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
Will reprint and update if it works, thanks!

For the envelope test, should I loosen it so I can pull the envelope out with a bit of force? Or is it okay to leave it really tight?
Ahh ok great point. Appreciate the info! Have you heard of Tesla resolving this issue for anyone or is it every man for themselves?

Is enjoyed your video on the vinyl tubing on YouTube. I have 5/16th tubing but having difficulty threading it. It actually tore the whole quite a bit. I stopped before I did more damage. Using silicon spray as a lubricant. Any suggestions? Thank you