Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BUG: After summon car does not open/unlock immediately

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. Haven't spent time either, but have noticed. Thought might be a security issue.

Just happened again. Used Summon to get car out of a spot someone had parked too close to me in, and I didn't want to squeeze in. Cool to back car out RC, but uncool to not be able to then get in and drive away!

Last edited:
I noticed that too. I've only tried it twice, but both times the car was locked when I approached.

I think is might be because I stopped the summon via the fod, which is the same button used to lock the doors. They should check if it's used to stop summon and not lock the door in that case.

I noticed that too. I've only tried it twice, but both times the car was locked when I approached.

I think is might be because I stopped the summon via the fod, which is the same button used to lock the doors. They should check if it's used to stop summon and not lock the door in that case.
it happens to me regardless of me using the fob to stop the processes or not using it to stop the car

I have auto-present (or whatever its called - when I approach my car the handles do not come out, because I don't like them coming out every time I go into my garage) turned off on my car. I used Summon for the first time today after being blocked out of my drivers side door by a truck parking too close to me. When I touched the handle the handle presented normally.

I thought it was intentional, in that I didn't think it would be safe to assume that just because I repositioned the car I also wanted it to unlock itself. I'd prefer summoning and unlocking be separate actions, each of which must be gestured for.

I am standing next to the car with fob in hand. I have autopresent handles enabled. A rational default would be to, at least, open at a touch. At best, once it stops present handles again.

I believe it's because the car doesn't know the situation, it doesn't "know" it's in a garage, it only knows forward or backwards. Although, like many others, I think it should unlock after summon, then autolock (in 20 seconds) as if just getting out.

I think I have a better understanding of what is going on. Have not really experimented as I am pretty busy this week. If I am wrong I know many will be glad to point out what I missed. I am not proud.:smile:

1. I am very impatient. The car, eventually, presents the handles or at least allows me to get in but I start clicking when it does not immediately open.
  2. If you press the center button on the fob it seems that this creates additional delay by locking the car which then requires another click to open

A couple things I would look at.

• When summon is stopped by FOB
    • Present handles immediately when parking brake is set "post" FOB click. I say immediately as it seems there is some delay in the logic here. Disregard the FOB click as a locking request until after the parking brake is set and the handles are extended.
  • When summon stops naturally
    • Check for presence of FOB AND immediately present handles when parking brake is set.

In both of the above it would need to be gated by the setting of "auto present handles" which should give you the option to get in the car as if you had just walked up to it. Without auto present it seems like the rational default is to not unlock until the driver explicitly requests an unlock event (driver side or otherwise).

This is still total guesswork. I have spent no time testing. Seems like an easy bug fix with timing of post summon setting the parking brake and auto present handles as key variables.

Last edited:
Same...I had to use the key fob to unlock the doors.

Quick shout out to Tesla. After the latest firmware upgrade the doors now open automatically after it finishes it's sequence! Nicely done and much improved.

When combined with the double tap of the stalk for parking the ease of use has gone up dramatically.

Oh, the kind of fun downside to double tap. I keep forgetting to charge my car because the double tap to park is so easy and I just walk into the house.

Last edited:
I'm in Canada and still seeing problems with summon. Most of the time it just doesn't work, and fails on the app. When it does fail a number of things seem to go wrong. Even though the handles auto present, I had the alarm go off when I opened the door. Today summon failed again and when I got in to drive it, the mirrors didn't auto-unfold. Full of bugs so far, and haven't been able to make any real use of it.