Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Burned Out Tail Light Segment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn't tell you if they had to change the lights or not (though I doubt it). I didn't even mention the moisture there. They were working on something else and called me to tell me they saw the moisture and ask if they could have the car a bit longer to replace the strip (I was supposed to come back within an hour or two to get my car).

That said, do the Canadian cars us the US tailights (all red) or the Euro taillights (amber turn lights)? If the latter, perhaps that plays a role.

Thanks. Canadian and US cars have identical tail light setups.

Would this be covered by the standard warranty as well as the extended warranty?

Good question. I'm in to my extended warranty now with over 65,000 miles on the car. I had it in a few weeks ago for a broken driver's window mechanism and they fixed it without charging me the deductible that is supposed to apply to the extended plan. In any event, my tail light needs to be fixed, so I would expect that Tesla will cover it.

Good question. I'm in to my extended warranty now with over 65,000 miles on the car. I had it in a few weeks ago for a broken driver's window mechanism and they fixed it without charging me the deductible that is supposed to apply to the extended plan. In any event, my tail light needs to be fixed, so I would expect that Tesla will cover it.

If they want to charge you the deductible (and you object to that), I would remind them that you've brought this up before (presumably before your warranty ran out). Either way, may it be a painless process!

I've had my rear applique replaced a few times before it was redesigned, doing so did not require the replacement of the other lights. I understand the new generation rear applique works the same way. It's a drop-in replacement, just without the secondary lens.

I've had my rear applique replaced a few times before it was redesigned, doing so did not require the replacement of the other lights. I understand the new generation rear applique works the same way. It's a drop-in replacement, just without the secondary lens.

Not quite a 'drop in'. requires separating a layer of auto trim adhesive from the old one, then cleaning up the mess on the underlying mounting bracket. Then you can 'peel and stick' on the new one.

About 6 of the LEDs in my right, liftgate side tail light stopped working. Just prior to this, I had noticed that the moisture build up in that tail light assembly was no longer dissipating after I would wash the car. From the time I got my car, I've almost always seen moisture in that assembly, but it normally disappeared quickly. Now, it would last for 5 days or more. Anyway, the ranger just replaced it. I took a picture of the removed assembly, and you can see how the seals were letting the moisture in.
IMG_20160121_154707079_HDR.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
About 6 of the LEDs in my right, liftgate side tail light stopped working. Just prior to this, I had noticed that the moisture build up in that tail light assembly was no longer dissipating after I would wash the car. From the time I got my car, I've almost always seen moisture in that assembly, but it normally disappeared quickly. Now, it would last for 5 days or more. Anyway, the ranger just replaced it. I took a picture of the removed assembly, and you can see how the seals were letting the moisture in.

Awesome! Thanks for that. I have the exact same situation and am guessing have the exact same problem. Going in to Service in a week or so.

Mine looks exactly like your picture. I plan to talk to the service center about it to get it fixed. When I first looked at this CPO there was moisture in the light and the gentleman showing me the car said "we'll fix that". When I picked up the car it looked fine, but it had been inside for a while. A few days later it had moisture in it, and then I also noticed the missing LED segment.

Resolved!

Tesla Service replaced the lamp yesterday with a new one and also installed the redesigned rear applique. I was well out of standard warranty, so did have to pay the $200 deductible on my extended plan. The Service Manager said they had seen a few of these problems come in.

I had another DU replacement and my 100,000 km service done at the same time.

Mike, now I have the same problem as described; moisture in the left tail gate unit and lower strip of the U not working or occasionally blinking. Have to find out the cost of a new unit or scour eBay for one. I am way out of warranty.

Sorry to hear that. In addition to the moisture, I would sometimes actually get water sloshing around in there about half way up the light. If I put goldfish in there, they'd be fine. Once it was fixed by Tesla, the problem never recurred.

FWIW, I had the same tail light assembly replaced by Tesla under warranty this week at 49,950 miles. Showed them a picture of water intrusion and they replaced the light and the chrome trim piece on the liftgate no questions asked. Hoping that solves it permanently.

If they want to charge you the deductible (and you object to that), I would remind them that you've brought this up before (presumably before your warranty ran out). Either way, may it be a painless process!
Yes, do NOT let them charge you for the visit as you noted this began during the formal, initial warranty, but was not addressed at that time.

They are usually very good about not charging, but just in case . . . .