Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Busted] Model X configuring in July 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't want to kill the vibe but I think I heard in some conference call that they don't plan to do any big reveals with X, the first people to see them will be those who ordered one. And I wouldn't be surprised if they do a please don't tell anybody sort of thing for the early signature holders when asked to configure.

Don't want to kill the vibe but I think I heard in some conference call that they don't plan to do any big reveals with X, the first people to see them will be those who ordered one. And I wouldn't be surprised if they do a please don't tell anybody sort of thing for the early signature holders when asked to configure.

What would be the point? It seems like they would be missing out on a good PR opportunity. Why would they want to keep the release of their third vehicle a secret?

What would be the point? It seems like they would be missing out on a good PR opportunity. Why would they want to keep the release of their third vehicle a secret?

This has been discussed in other threads, but I think the most plausible explanation, if true, is that there is fear MX orders would cannibalize sales of the MS, assuming there are features in the MX that are "wow" beyond what's contemporaneously available in the MS. Keeping the MS line at capacity while the MX line is ramping up seems to be a solid motivation.

Related to this is if they plan to do a minor facelift to the MS to keep the design vernacular consistent - they may want to show them both at the same time.

Yeah it does seem like they would be missing out on a some free advertising, but maybe there will be time for that once they start producing in volume. I don't know, maybe surprising the long-term reservation holders that are going on 4(?) years now?

Worth remembering that Elon said a) "probably" and b) "3 months from now"....that was on May 6th, so 3 months would be early August and not July; he got his calendar calculation wrong whichever way you look at it.
He said 3 months, then he thought about it some more and realized it was already May, at which point he clarified his estimate as July. He didn't sound too sure of himself though. Here is the exact transcript:

Um, yeah, uh, [counts under his breath] probably, probably three months from now, oh no no actually sorry already in May, um… [counts under his breath some more] this is, probably July?, um, is when we’ll ask people to do the configuration.

Last edited:

What he actually said was the Model X is "not going to be shown until it is delivered" and people have read a lot into that, imagining the first few hundred deliveries to end customers being done in complete secrecy etc.

But I don't think that's what he meant, because it doesn't make sense to do it that way. I think he's using 'Delivery' here in the project management sense - i.e. delivery = project complete, product ready to go. So he means its not going to be shown until it is all finalised and ready to go.

So my bet is there'll be a press release or a little event and then the design studio will come online for orders.

The Config will not be open for regular reservations yet..

From Teslamotors.com forum

Daniel_L
| JULY 13, 2015

Bad news for us "normal" reservation holders. Got of the phone with a Tesla Motors representative which told me that the deign studio will open up first for signature reservation holders and then for "normal" reservation holders and the public. Disappointed, was hoping for better news.

Were people really expecting something different? Of course Signature reservation holders will be configuring first. If it's anything like Model S, Tesla will gradually release small batches of reservation holders to configure. Whether or not the elements of the design studio are publicly available are another matter, but I'm sure even if not that someone will post the contents.

Were people really expecting something different? Of course Signature reservation holders will be configuring first. If it's anything like Model S, Tesla will gradually release small batches of reservation holders to configure. Whether or not the elements of the design studio are publicly available are another matter, but I'm sure even if not that someone will post the contents.

Unless they are configuring under a non-disclosure agreement click-through...

Peter+

Speculative summary:

Sig reservation holders get access to their design studio this month.
Founder models delivered in August. Model X "reveal."
Regular reservation holders get access to the design studio in August. Demo models available to examine in the stores.
Sig deliveries start beginning of Sept.
Volume production end of Sept/ early October.

I wouldn't be surprised if sig reservation holders already have been approached under a NDA. They have been awfully quiet the past week.

I expect a Model S refresh at the same time as the MX reveal (or soon therafter). This will include a revision of the interior and a styling refresh of the nose, with new autopilot hardware options. This week, the MS design studio did away with the executive rear seats, probably in anticipation of the planned interior changes.

I have reservation number 1183, and if volume ramps up as fast as I think it will, I should be driving my new MX before Thanksgiving.!

Speculative summary:

Regular reservation holders get access to the design studio in August. Demo models available to examine in the stores.

I wouldn't be surprised if sig reservation holders already have been approached under a NDA. They have been awfully quiet the past week.

I expect a Model S refresh at the same time as the MX reveal (or soon therafter). This will include a revision of the interior and a styling refresh of the nose, with new autopilot hardware options. This week, the MS design studio did away with the executive rear seats, probably in anticipation of the planned interior changes.

I have reservation number 1183, and if volume ramps up as fast as I think it will, I should be driving my new MX before Thanksgiving.!

I expect you are right! By my count if Tesla is to meet their delivery goals for the year they will need to deliver over 5000 MX before the end of the year. With reservation #1651 I'm hopeful I'll have mine before Thanksgiving as well!

Peter+

Speculative summary:

Sig 139 here and I can refute any speculation of Sig holders being contacted yet to configure their X vehicles. No NDA. Nada. Really wish we get something soon. I've had my deposit for an X for over three years now. I really wish they'd give an update...soon.

You seem frustrated, DJ.:smile: Given that TM has had 40K of your hard earned clams for the last 3 years, they should do a better job with communication. I am not going to ask how much it would be worth in today's dollars with compound interest.

Hopefully they contact you in the next couple of weeks. I know that we can't trust Elon's timetable, but it has got to be just around the corner for you now.

Better communication would go a long way to alleviating everyone's anxiety.

Even if Signature reservation holders are under NDA, when you open something so eagerly anticipated to even a small subset of the public the odds are someone who doesn't care about the potential ramifications will leak information. This is why I doubt they would put the Design Studio behind NDA and are limiting current knowledge of Model X to trusted insiders.

You seem frustrated, DJ.:smile: Given that TM has had 40K of your hard earned clams for the last 3 years, they should do a better job with communication. I am not going to ask how much it would be worth in today's dollars with compound interest.

Hopefully they contact you in the next couple of weeks. I know that we can't trust Elon's timetable, but it has got to be just around the corner for you now.

Better communication would go a long way to alleviating everyone's anxiety.

Worse, imagine having invested that $40k in Tesla stock. I reserved my Sig when stock was $31. Can't complain, though. Invested enough to pay for the car :wink: