Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy now or wait for 2021 model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm going to buy a new model 3 SR+ from the existing inventory, but not sure if now is the best time for two reasons:
- they might reduce the prices soon when they start importing from china or because of AUD/USD rates. No sure when though.
- if I wait another 3 months I can buy 2021 model and at the time of selling my car the year will affect the price I guess.

It's hard to make a decision. On one hand I can't wait to drive it, on the other hand I don't want to feel like a loser after my purchase.

Any ideas?

Hi, I'm going to buy a new model 3 SR+ from the existing inventory, but not sure if now is the best time for two reasons:
- they might reduce the prices soon when they start importing from china or because of AUD/USD rates. No sure when though.
- if I wait another 3 months I can buy 2021 model and at the time of selling my car the year will affect the price I guess.

It's hard to make a decision. On one hand I can't wait to drive it, on the other hand I don't want to feel like a loser after my purchase.

Any ideas?

If you keep waiting for what might happen, you will never buy a Tesla! I bought my M3 from inventory in April, 3 days before they lowered the price $2K. That gave me some heartache, but it falls into the "First World Problem" category for me...
:)

Any ideas?

If you keep waiting for what might happen, you will never buy a Tesla! I bought my M3 from inventory in April, 3 days before they lowered the price $2K. That gave me some heartache, but it falls into the "First World Problem" category for me...
:)

FWIW, I agree with @AZAV8R (I got my Instrument Rating out of Chandler, AZ in 1986 when I was going to Arizona State, then flew all over AZ when I got my first regional airline job :) ).

It all depends on how long you're willing to wait, really. Tesla constantly improves their cars... constantly. They don't really go by traditional model years, they just upgrade/improve/revamp their models on a continuing basis. And the longer you wait, the longer all of those improvements will add up. The downside is that you miss out on the incredible amount of fun you'll have owning a Tesla while you wait. Plus, this is a non-stop process; how will you ever determine when the right time to jump in is, if the process just keeps going? You'll end up sitting on the sidelines forever! ;)

Sure, I'm gonna be envious about the better batteries that the Model 3 will have in a year or two, but during that time, I'm having a blast with the Tesla in my garage.

But short term (like six months), I highly doubt that the Model 3 will have significant changes that'll give you "I should've waited" syndrome. Maybe a heat pump, but that's not a game breaker IMO.

Buy the Tesla when you're ready to, and don't look back.

Last edited:
FWIW, I agree with @AZAV8R (I got my Instrument Rating out of Chandler, AZ in 1986 when I was going to Arizona State, then flew all over AZ when I got my first regional airline job :) ).

It all depends on how long you're willing to wait, really. Tesla constantly improves their cars... constantly. They don't really go by traditional model years, they just upgrade/improve/revamp their models on a continuing basis. And the longer you wait, the longer all of those improvements will add up. The downside is that you miss out on the incredible amount of fun you'll have owning a Tesla while you wait. Plus, this is a non-stop process; how will you ever determine when the right time to jump in is, if the process just keeps going? You'll end up sitting on the sidelines forever! ;)

Sure, I'm gonna be envious about the better batteries that the Model 3 will have in a year or two, but during that time, I'm having a blast with the Tesla in my garage.

But short term (like six months), I highly doubt that the Model 3 will have significant changes that'll give you "I should've waited" syndrome. Maybe a heat pump, but that's not a game breaker IMO.

Buy the Tesla when you're ready to, and don't look back.

Did you fly with John Walkup?

The 3 is stable right now. One they roll all that out, whenever that might be, there are going to problems while they shake it out. Just like what’s been happening with the Y. If someone is going to wait for those features in day a year or two, they might as well wait for the new batteries, and then wait another year (2-3 total) for all the new stuff to get stable and big free.

Buy now. Enjoy now. Trade in / sell in 3-5 years if it’s worth it to you then.

Prices aren’t coming down anytime soon, if at all. It will be the new lower spec (unknown) model and that’s years away too.

Now is a good tome to buy a 3.

I’ve bought two in last 6 months.

Reactions: akenham
Thank you very much for helping me to make up my mind. I simply couldn't make a decision and now I'm going to buy it. glad that I asked it here. You are all right, the waiting game for the next feature never ends. If I knew it's only 3 months of waiting I would wait but nobody knows how long should I wait for the new features / heat pump and I lose the joy of drving a Tesla.

The other reason which had made it hard for me was that earlier this year the AU price for model 3 SR increased $6,000 because AUD lost it's value againist USD. Now AUD is back to what it was before but model 3 SR price is still the same. Interstingly US prices has dropped since then, it's hard to pay more for what everyone else outside AU is paying less! It is what it is, as long as they can sell it at this price why should they drop the prices!

I still think it worth the mony, I go ahead and buy one from the existing inventory :)

Congrats !

Existing inventory is fine if they have what you want. Here in the states I’ve noticed that existing inventory might be more than a new order as they don’t always just pricing like custom order. Also check if existing inventory is actually listed and new and check the mileage. Sometimes the new cars are actually not quite brand new and might have mileage on them. I prefer to custom order and have done it twice in last 6 months. Enjoy.

@Pohab
If you can, I would wait for a 2021 model, to get a better resale value in the future than a 2020 model.

It is possible that the cars since September 1rst might already have a 2021 VIN,
because the car currently build and exported oversea might be only arrive and be delivered next year?

If you can look at some car in your local showroom, check the VIN number to know the year.

The tenth digit represents the Model Year and is standardized by NHSTA.

All vehicles from all manufacturers made in 2020 will have an “L” here, an “M” for 2021, and so on.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
> I don't want to feel like a loser after my purchase

Are you looking to make an expensive purchase because it will make you feel like a certain kind of person? Personally I've learned that such feelings are fleeting, but the impact of the purchase on your financial situation is not. Buy a Tesla because it's the best car for your needs at this time, or because you love driving it.

If you don't really need to get a new car now, then the advice about waiting makes sense. Waiting because you want to have the latest stuff on your car doesn't work very well: no matter when you buy, soon enough there will be cooler stuff released. Are you going to trade it then, and then trade again and again, every year or two?

@Pohab
If you can, I would wait for a 2021 model, to get a better resale value in the future than a 2020 model.

It is possible that the cars since September 1rst might already have a 2021 VIN,
because the car currently build and exported oversea might be only arrive and be delivered next year?

If you can look at some car in your local showroom, check the VIN number to know the year.

The tenth digit represents the Model Year and is standardized by NHSTA.

All vehicles from all manufacturers made in 2020 will have an “L” here, an “M” for 2021, and so on.
that makes no sense though, unless all you're waiting for is the vin number to change.
It has no impact on the resale value of the car, so why wait?

Any car purchase makes you a "loser", not having a model 3 makes you the
person at last call in the bar trying to get the best of the worst.
Even if you are waiting like I am for dual beer keg coolers for the back seat,
It is a damn cool car and could attract partners. Life is life....pull the trigger !

Buy the biggest battery you can afford. Please do not take into account any
rumors that have not been confirmed by Tesla, we have a lot of folks that would
like to have features as well as 50% more battery at the same price. My guess
short term, makes no sense, see it my rumor.

Reactions: Phlier and Twiglett