Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buyer Beware! Tesla Ups Price on order by $1790.00 and And Does not Refund Order fee of $250.00!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You didn't respond to their requests to fulfill your obligations under the order agreement. Sounds like pricing changed during the period of your radio silence. This is really the end of the story. Bitch and moan about it all you want but it sounds like you'd be much better served somewhere else. Tesla isn't obligated to put up with your BS any more than you are theirs.
Pricing changed from 4 PM Sunday to 6 PM Sunday. And i do not see asingle obligation I did not fufill in a reasonable amount of time. Is there free Kool Aid provided in this forum? Or is everyone an AI Bot created by Tesla.

A traditional approach by a company who values their clients, would be to make compromises that satisfy the client. Tesla is not a traditional company and certainly appears extremely unaccommodating to Tesla buyers in many instances.
Communication is key, but my observance is that Tesla is very bad at communication.
There are many compelling reasons to buy and own a Tesla. There are also many instances of frustrating situations that make dealing with Tesla irksome and sow doubt about Tesla's caring nature.

Reactions: Bart404 and cwerdna
Pricing changed from 4 PM Sunday to 6 PM Sunday. And i do not see asingle obligation I did not fufill in a reasonable amount of time. Is there free Kool Aid provided in this forum? Or is everyone an AI Bot created by Tesla.

If you shifted tactics and stopped telling your story with the accuracy, timeline, and detail of a coked out toddler you might garner more sympathy.

Maybe. No guarantees.

I did agree to take delivery on 1/23/24, I did that on 1/19/24. And that was the only delivery date they offered.
OP seems to have a point. The Tesla terms require OP to take delivery within 3 days of the date that Tesla indicates delivery is available. OP agreed to take delivery. I don't see how OP violated the terms. Seems like Tesla is in the wrong. Hope you win your credit card chargeback.

Don't take it personally, though. It's just Tesla's somewhat mindless and souless sales / customer service system. I think it makes it easier for them to ghost people that don't fit their need to hit certain objectives and targets.

If later you find an inventory deal that's the right price, just order that one. You were right sticking to your guns.

Reactions: B.K. and Surfer
OP seems to have a point. The Tesla terms require OP to take delivery within 3 days of the date that Tesla indicates delivery is available. OP agreed to take delivery. I don't see how OP violated the terms. Seems like Tesla is in the wrong. Hope you win your credit card chargeback.

Don't take it personally, though. It's just Tesla's somewhat mindless and souless sales / customer service system. I think it makes it easier for them to ghost people that don't fit their need to hit certain objectives and targets.

If later you find an inventory deal that's the right price, just order that one. You were right sticking to your guns.

You cannot take delivery if you do not complete their checkout flow: copies of DLs, proof of insurance, payment information, etc.

I can see both sides to this story. Tesla's approach is definitely different than a traditional dealership, we all know that.

They want to make a set of rules that puts pressure on people to complete the order process, and they don't provide any wiggle room. To their credit - they need to move cars and if everyone placed a deposit but didn't complete their order it would break the system.

On the flipside, any customer that lets this happen is definitely going to have a bad experience and not want to order from them again. Tesla can't just burn through customers like this.

The thing is... what else should Tesla have done? @Surfer is the one that cancelled the order, losing the $250. What Tesla did was to no longer reserve the discounted price after a 3 day period without communication (which is outlined in the order agreement).

Tesla doesn't want to hire 50k employees to hound customers and close sales. The rules are meant to do that by putting pressure to complete the sale and take delivery.

In no way will I ever believe that this was a ploy - that they're intentionally bumping all prices up after not hearing from a customer for 3 days. What actually happened was supply and demand... the price of this car went up but would have still been sold at the originally agreed upon price had the buyer not stopped communicating for 3 days.

Perhaps Tesla should do a better job of informing customers of the "3 days without communication" consequence... like not just in the fine print, but show it somewhere during the order process... as well as a reminder email and txt, e.g. "We haven't heard from you in 2 days. Lack of communication for 3 days will forfeit the vehicle on order at the currently agreed upon price." Or something to that effect.

Ultimately though, these gripes are heavily combated by many, many posters whose experiences with Tesla sales are 1000% better than a traditional dealership. I'm in that camp. Just get back to them and complete the sale. It's not hard, and sure beats spending 5 hours at a dealership defending against high pressure tactics.

Last edited:
I can see both sides to this story. Tesla's approach is definitely different than a traditional dealership, we all know that.

They want to make a set of rules that puts pressure on people to complete the order process, and they don't provide any wiggle room. To their credit - they need to move cars and if everyone placed a deposit but didn't complete their order it would break the system.

On the flipside, any customer that lets this happen is definitely going to have a bad experience and not want to order from them again. Tesla can't just burn through customers like this.

The thing is... what else should Tesla have done? @Surfer is the one that cancelled the order, losing the $250. What Tesla did was to no longer reserve the discounted price after a 3 day period without communication (which is outlined in the order agreement).

Tesla doesn't want to hire 50k employees to hound customers and close sales. The rules are meant to do that by putting pressure to complete the sale and take delivery.

In no way will I ever believe that this was a ploy - that they're intentionally bumping all prices up after not hearing from a customer for 3 days. What actually happened was supply and demand... the price of this car went up but would have still been sold at the originally agreed upon price had the buyer not stopped communicating for 3 days.

Perhaps Tesla should do a better job of informing customers of the "3 days without communication" consequence... like not just in the fine print, but show it somewhere during the order process... as well as a reminder email and txt, e.g. "We haven't heard from you in 2 days. Lack of communication for 3 days will forfeit the vehicle on order at the currently agreed upon price." Or something to that effect.

Ultimately though, these gripes are heavily combated by many, many posters whose experiences with Tesla sales are 1000% better than a traditional dealership. I'm in that camp. Just get back to them and complete the sale. It's not hard, and sure beats spending 5 hours at a dealership defending against high pressure tactics.
Have to disagree. Read his 4th Post. Tesla canceled as he Stated when he didn’t complete the order and he even States that he didn’t for 3 days. His story (tale) is full of holes and he is sliding it every direction he can to right the ship for people to back his hysterics.

I wish I could have paid $250 to this character so that this thread never happened.

On an unrelated note, it never fails for us to endure dumb, incredible, surprising and unexpected events right around earnings call.
Agreed. I wish we could vote to delete threads to save future people from spending any amount of time reading this and save precious space on the infinite internet…

The same thing happened to me. Its the opacity of Tesla's decision tree here that is frustrating. I actually get where Tesla is coming from - preventing gaming the order and inventory discounts being offered. The key here is to not take it personally, order as often as you like/want and then let the orders you don't want "expire" as they will cancel them after a certain period of inactivity. This makes it super easy to charge them back for "not delivering" what was ordered. Done it many times and worked every time. Tesla still makes out. No harm no foul. Just be sure to have enough email accounts/credit cards to cycle through if they decide to block you.

They never cancelled the order, I am not sure how to edit that post. But I did correct it about 6 times. This is a horrible and arbitrary customer service experience that potential buyers should know about. Yeah lets delete threads, better yet lets start burning books. Thats brilliant! LOL