Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buyers Remorse because of cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, @Zane Liu's 2023 side camera:
1667193554867.png

vs. my 2021 side camera:
1667193602326.png

Seems clear the weather is better in my neighborhood.

• Funny
Reactions: Zane Liu and enemji
FWIW, @Zane Liu's 2023 side camera:

vs. my 2021 side camera:
View attachment 869325

Seems clear the weather is better in my neighborhood.

Could also be the location of the sun.. obviously out of these two photos the bottom 2021 picture looks better, but unless it’s from the same place at the same time, hard to extrapolate much from this.

Top pic looks like NorCal, bottom SoCal. Am I right? I’d guess Sonoma county for top and East-ish county San Diego for the bottom. Close? Had to ask 🤷‍♂️

• Funny
Reactions: Zane Liu
Could also be the location of the sun.. obviously out of these two photos the bottom 2021 picture looks better, but unless it’s from the same place at the same time, hard to extrapolate much from this.

Top pic looks like NorCal, bottom SoCal. Am I right? I’d guess Sonoma county for top and East-ish county San Diego for the bottom. Close? Had to ask 🤷‍♂️
Haha I won’t respond on the exact location but yes NorCal but not quite Sonoma. More Bay Area.

Your conjecture could conceivably be correct. We know the new Samsung cameras are 5MP, but does anyone actually know the resolution of the old cameras? Maybe they're also 5MP but we've been incorrectly assuming 720p since that's what we find on the USB drive?

Also, it's pretty difficult to find a cheap high-volume 720p image sensor anymore. Perhaps this new 5MP camera isn't even an upgrade, it's just what's available today so they slap it in and pixel bin it to 720p for a within spec equivalent. And the lens change might just be the result of a different sensor chip size, not any improvement in FOV or F-stop.

So as much as we'd all like to see the camera quality go from this:

1667280019138.png

to this:

1667280051900.png

It might not be happening anytime soon.

Reactions: enemji
They upgraded the Model Y literally the week I bought mine. New console and a few other upgrades. A couple months later they added the new laminated glass.

You get over it.

I'm kind of curious though. Did you pay the same as your neighbor, or did you get better pricing since you ordered earlier?

Reactions: DarkForest
I have just got a 2023 model YLR. (P vin and manufactured October 27th 2022) It still has the sensors, does that mean i do not have the new cameras? Also, I thought there was supposed to be an internal camera pointing towards the driver, I do not see it. Does not come with YLR?

Your conjecture could conceivably be correct. We know the new Samsung cameras are 5MP, but does anyone actually know the resolution of the old cameras? Maybe they're also 5MP but we've been incorrectly assuming 720p since that's what we find on the USB drive?

Also, it's pretty difficult to find a cheap high-volume 720p image sensor anymore. Perhaps this new 5MP camera isn't even an upgrade, it's just what's available today so they slap it in and pixel bin it to 720p for a within spec equivalent. And the lens change might just be the result of a different sensor chip size, not any improvement in FOV or F-stop.

So as much as we'd all like to see the camera quality go from this:

View attachment 869716

to this:

View attachment 869717

It might not be happening anytime soon.
Yes, that is exactly how my neighbor's new side cameras look. It's full color and the quality looks exactly like the rear view camera.

I received a 2023 MYP with a build date of around Nov 1st.

I received no USS and the cameras are still the 2022 cameras.

I have reached out to tesla service hopefully in an effort to get the side repeater cameras changed. I'm less than 100 miles and I feel it should be fair to have the new cameras especially since USS is removed.