Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buyers Remorse because of cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought the new 3/Y cameras reduced the glare when using the turn signals at night. If true, it likely has nothing to do with FSD directly. I certainly would not reject a new order as a result, particularly if there is a financial penalty. Worst case and they have a feature you MUST have, get your wallet out and do a retrofit - it's easy enough and likely not that expensive. I too was once a new buyer of my very expensive vehicle and wanted everything to be perfect - but today, MEH.

But as many others have pointed out, we just don't know.

I thought the new 3/Y cameras reduced the glare when using the turn signals at night. If true, it likely has nothing to do with FSD directly. I certainly would not reject a new order as a result, particularly if there is a financial penalty. Worst case and they have a feature you MUST have, get your wallet out and do a retrofit - it's easy enough and likely not that expensive. I too was once a new buyer of my very expensive vehicle and wanted everything to be perfect - but today, MEH.

But as many others have pointed out, we just don't know.
That's not the cameras per se, but rather the circuit boards that they are mounted on, and it isn't glare, but rather light bleed through the board. I'm not sure at what point they started using new circuit boards, but it was long before a month ago.

Reactions: BitJam
More useful for distant objects, such as vehicles approaching at high speed.
^This. Currently the view distances are about 800 feet for forward cameras - by increasing the resolution they can get 1200 feet or so. Side rear cameras get about 200-250 feet, they can increase to about 400 feet or so. MCU may need to be upgraded to handle more objects that will be trackable by the system.

Reactions: DrGriz and DrChaos
is the housing the same size? If yes, Im guessing a easy plug and play retrofit eventually?
That's the idea - should be fairly easy to replace existing cameras. If they add new cameras, like perhaps side-facing cameras in the headlights, it could be a little harder to retrofit. An easier option would be to add two new side-facing cameras to the B-Pillars, which would be easier to retrofit to existing cars. Hopefully the MCU is easier to plug-play, as it's a card that can be slotted in. If they redesign the MCU and it ends up being bigger, then it could be a problem retro fitting older cars.

That's the idea - should be fairly easy to replace existing cameras. If they add new cameras, like perhaps side-facing cameras in the headlights, it could be a little harder to retrofit. An easier option would be to add two new side-facing cameras to the B-Pillars, which would be easier to retrofit to existing cars. Hopefully the MCU is easier to plug-play, as it's a card that can be slotted in. If they redesign the MCU and it ends up being bigger, then it could be a problem retro fitting older cars.
Nitpick here: it's not the MCU you are talking about, but rather the FSD computer. The MCU is basically the infotainment computer.

Reactions: Krash and Dewg
That is offering older hardware Tesla's with FSD Capability to upgrade to the cameras. Has nothing to do with the possibility that new cars have a higher resolution/quality/dynamic range camera. Which is yet to be determined. Could be just a different supplier with the same Tesla "spec". We need a removal and examination of the system. Also we don't really know if HW3 could support them anyway.

"...owners who have Full Self-Driving (FSD) capability and early production cameras."

That is offering older hardware Tesla's with FSD Capability to upgrade to the cameras. Has nothing to do with the possibility that new cars have a higher resolution/quality/dynamic range camera. Which is yet to be determined. Could be just a different supplier with the same Tesla "spec". We need a removal and examination of the system. Also we don't really know if HW3 could support them anyway.

"...owners who have Full Self-Driving (FSD) capability and early production cameras."
Sorry, I thought it was useful information.
Sad to see people whinging on about getting "cheated" out of the latest and greatest. Tesla improves its cars continuously (20+ changes a week) so people should understand that every car made after theirs is improved and "better" than their older car. That's the way it is with tech and an innovative company.
It's useless to whinge on about it.
Just relax and enjoy your car.