Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying used model S, 90D vs P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. I currently have on order a used 2016 Model S 90D, 78k miles. Has the bells and whistles as far as upgrades go. But I saw a 2015 P85D with 32k miles, also has all the upgrades, but it’s $5k more.

My questions for you are, is it worth the extra money for a performance S with far less miles?? Do teslas hold up well after 100,000 miles? Also I’ve heard the early 90D has accelerated degradation, mine was manf 02/16, so is that an issue. Lastly, my 90D was $45k, which seems low (not complaining lol), but it has me nervous about if there’s something wrong with the car. Just seems unreal that this car with all the bells and whistle‘s, and only a minor scratch near the trunk, would be that low. From what I’ve seen on their website usually they are at least around 52,000 or higher.

Thank you for your time, any help I’d appreciate immensely!!!

I am in the process of making a similar choice. My questions for the brain trust are:
Would a late 2016 build 90D more likely have a V3 battery as well as other improvements?
Would it be worth sacrificing P85D acceleration for presumably more reliability, range, and other refresh features?
Larry

If it was me, I would go with the 90D models for the following reasons -
  • Actual battery capacity is much closer to the badge (the 85 is actually 81kWh, the 90 is actually 88 kWh) and there's probably some improved engineering with the newer pack; the 85 pack has been around in various forms since 2012
  • The 90 pack benefits from the faster Supercharging speeds; I don't think the 85s do and some earlier units have been nerfed
  • The 0-60 mph acceleration differences are close - P85D - 3.2s, 90D - 3.8s
  • The performance motors are larger and less efficient, which means you'll consume more energy per mile
  • I prefer the look of the refresh over the oval "grill"
  • More warranty time for power-train and battery with a 2016 vs 2015
  • Most of the features should be the same; if you're really lucky and it's a Nov or Dec 2016 build, you may have Autopilot 2 hardware
Personally, I have a 2013 P85 with 125k miles and going strong; I've never had any problems that have left me stranded but I've been a victim of some of the issues with earlier Model S.

I hope this helps...

If it was me, I would go with the 90D models for the following reasons -
  • Actual battery capacity is much closer to the badge (the 85 is actually 81kWh, the 90 is actually 88 kWh) and there's probably some improved engineering with the newer pack; the 85 pack has been around in various forms since 2012
  • The 90 pack benefits from the faster Supercharging speeds; I don't think the 85s do and some earlier units have been nerfed
  • The 0-60 mph acceleration differences are close - P85D - 3.2s, 90D - 3.8s
  • The performance motors are larger and less efficient, which means you'll consume more energy per mile
  • I prefer the look of the refresh over the oval "grill"
  • More warranty time for power-train and battery with a 2016 vs 2015
  • Most of the features should be the same; if you're really lucky and it's a Nov or Dec 2016 build, you may have Autopilot 2 hardware
Personally, I have a 2013 P85 with 125k miles and going strong; I've never had any problems that have left me stranded but I've been a victim of some of the issues with earlier Model S.

I hope this helps...

Helps a lot actually thank you. Unfortunately it was built 02/16, so early year. It’s also the original front grill, which sucks but isn’t a deal breaker, as I define you prefer the newer look. I assume the insurance would be higher for the performance as well but I haven’t checked yet. I guess the only thing that makes me nervous is that the one I got was significantly cheaper than the others. The pictures all look fine and there’s only a tiny scratch. It just makes me wonder if the price is low or only because it’s somewhat high mileage or if there’s another reason. I’m probably just overthinking it, but who knows. $45k, has all the upgrades, AP1, one small scuff I can buff out, and 78k miles. Seems like too good of a price lmao. But thank you again, I think I’m gonna stuck with the 90D

Given the chargegate/batterygate stuff I would not be looking at an 85 and given a new Raven with 370miles of range is $80k I wouldn't pay $45k for a 4+ yo car with 2/3rds the range.

My experience with a 2014 P85 owning it from 65-93k is these cars are NOT as reliable as the koolaid drinkers will tell you. If someone starts telling you the car has nothing to fail because it lacks an ICE ignore them. Yes an electric motor is more simple than an engine but the rest of it is just another car, and a heavy one at that, built by a company that had only built 42k cars by the time mine was built......

If a charger fails and the early ones can and do that is $2200 for a tin shoebox that is simply accessed under the back seat.
Battery heaters are a common enough failure there is a service bulletin and new part, $600. Brakes are prone to corrosion issues on wet climates, so while you might not wear them out you might still have to replace them.
Rear wheel drive EVs need frequent tire rotation, with all the drive and a majority of braking all on the back tires they wear fast.
MCU1 cars are seeing memory corruption failures sounds like that is $1600-2000.
12volt battery fails more often than ICE due to the way it is used $160 from Tesla not $100 at any parts store.

Not trying to dissuade you just trying to paint an honest picture.

My wife has a same year Impala with 15k more miles on it and quality wise it is a far better car than my Tesla. I am sticking with the Tesla though because I still love the car even though it is not a very good car.

The batterygate charging limits artificially placed on the 85s likely puts them in line with the faster degradation the 90s saw and the 70kw supercharging many are seeing down from 120 DESTROYS it's usefulness for road tripping.

Oh and long as we are on topic about realities, the instant heat in winter is amazing but you pay a heavy energy use price for it. Here near Green Bay I can make a pretty solid case my energy use triples in the cold months. My short commute makes for cabin heating working hard a lot. Once the cabin warms this is not a big deal so longer trips are less impacted.

There are a lot of pros and cons to each of these so we will try to go through them. Personally if it were me, I'd look for a 90D with less miles so it would get the benefit of the Tesla used warranty (the cutoff is around 50k miles).

P85D
- PRO: performance model
- PRO: less mileage
- PRO: should have the 4/50k warranty if buying from Tesla
- CON: less range
- CON: higher insurance
- CON: batterygate
- CON: older model (pre-facelift) *note that some see this as a pro it's subjective

90D:
- PRO: more range *even with degradation should be north of 270
- PRO: should be a facelift/refreshed model(?)
- PRO: should be less expensive to insure
- PRO: cheaper by $5k
- PRO: longer battery/drivertrain warranty even if just byu a
- CON: slower (although that is very relative - 4.2 seconds is fast AF to me)
- CON: higher miles which may equate to more wear
- CON: early 90D pack may be nowhere near the EPA estimate

I’m picking up my 2016 MS 90D this Friday and am so pumped to get on board the EV wagon, you can see Tesla logos in my pupils if you look hard enough!
Two days after I got my delivery appointment scheduled (they wanted to do it a week earlier but I had to make travel arrangements), I saw a 70D with all the same options on my list that was just up the road from me. I showed my wife and she said, “Stop looking at that damn site! Also, it doesn’t have the 21” wheels!” My point is, stop looking at other cars and start looking at all the cool accessories you can get for yours!
I already got my Cubby Drawer and Shelf Butler from Norm ;-)
Now I’m contemplating a chrome delete package.

Again, I’m super-stoked and you should be too!
Let’s get matching Tesla logo tattoos on our backs....ok too far.
It’s my first EV, can ya tell?