Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bye bye 75kw batteryElon says bye-bye to the 75KW battery new orders have until

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could be anything. Slight 120kWh bump for the long range version, or clearing out old parts like pano roofs and 75 batteries in anticipation for a new S refresh, or just maximizing profits since the Model 3 is closer in price with more range than the 75.

Could be anything. Slight 120kWh bump for the long range version, or clearing out old parts like pano roofs and 75 batteries in anticipation for a new S refresh, or just maximizing profits since the Model 3 is closer in price with more range than the 75.

There’s no physical room for more cells to reach 120kWh. Squeezing enough in for 100 already required modifications to the coolant passages. If it’s a new chemistry maybe but I’d stay away until it’s proven durable after the degradation mayhem with the first versions of the 90s.

There’s no physical room for more cells to reach 120kWh. Squeezing enough in for 100 already required modifications to the coolant passages. If it’s a new chemistry maybe but I’d stay away until it’s proven durable after the degradation mayhem with the first versions of the 90s.

There was a rumor even about a Model S prototype with 130 kWh being tested some time ago. There was also research that 2170 cells do fit the Model S so they might fit more power that way.

I will see if I can find the post...

No room for more cells, unless they do something creative with the cooling - like the heatpipe based system they patented a few years back.

Those 130kWh rumors are all based off the exact same anonymous post on Tesla.com forums from 1.5 years ago:

I just got a heads up from a friend that is close to a Tesla exec that they have a 130 kWh battery pack being used in his car.

Sure, that's legit. :rolleyes:

There are several other derivative rumors based on that same post, but the sound like different sources. In one post, someone wrote "I just read an article that says..." No, it wasn't an article unless the article wrote about the same fabricated post on tesla.com.

I think the 120kWh rumor is just a nice round number people made up. 110kWh is too close to 100kWh. And 130kWh is just way to much to fit in the MS/MX without massive re-engineering (if it's possible at all). Maybe by filling the frunk with cells. :rolleyes:

I do not think I claimed anything else as I did not use plural. Yes the 130 kWh in testing is a single unverified claim from 2017 from the Tesla Forum.

Where does the 120 kWh number come from any sources for that speculation?

Tesla having bigger batteries in testing doesn't mean much. I'm sure they have all manner of chemistries and constructions out on the road in test vehicles. Getting them to the point where they're durable and reliable enough to release is something else entirely.

Reactions: darxsys
Tesla having bigger batteries in testing doesn't mean much. I'm sure they have all manner of chemistries and constructions out on the road in test vehicles. Getting them to the point where they're durable and reliable enough to release is something else entirely.

I was just pointing out the single rumor I know of with a number (130 kWh). The ”120” thrown around does not seem to have even that history and is a pure guess, yet of course it could happen too or neither.

I was just pointing out the single rumor I know of with a number (130 kWh). The ”120” thrown around does not seem to have even that history and is a pure guess, yet of course it could happen too or neither.

I think you're right. It's just speculation. For what it's worth, Tesla's prior top battery increments were roughly:

85 (actually 77-ish, I think)
90 (actually 82-ish I think)
100 (actually 102-ish I think)

The 90/82 to 100/102 jump is roughly the same as the hypothetical 100-120.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I think you're right. It's just speculation. For what it's worth, Tesla's prior top battery increments were roughly:

85 (actually 77-ish, I think)
90 (actually 82-ish I think)
100 (actually 102-ish I think)

The 90/82 to 100/102 jump is roughly the same as the hypothetical 100-120.

All very possible speculation. Those were on 18650 though and Tesla has been very secretive about 2170 so a mystery. :)