Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Cabin Camera Unavailable" Kills FSD. AP Okay.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any luck with the latest update? We got it last night but my wife has the car today and refuses to ever use FSD, so I won’t be able to test it until tomorrow.
In my case, the latest .30.8 update has not resolved the issue. The IR emitters still don’t work: the live Sentry Mode cabin view is totally dark at night.

Tesla Mobile service is coming next week to replace the camera under warranty.

Reactions: Gabbleratchet7
Just finished service and they said they found a pinched coax cable that was the problem. So only $178. We'll see if it truly fixes it but no error message on my 25 minute drive home.
I got my camera replaced today by mobile service. I mentioned your experience so the tech checked the cable and it was pinched. Since he didn't have a replacement cable he went ahead and replaced the camera. He reorganized the cables a bit so that the cable is no longer pinched and said if I still lose the cabin camera, I can bring it in to the SC and get the cable replaced. Only 18 FSD miles today but no errors.

Last edited:
The update to 2023.44.30.8 didn't fix the problem. Wish we knew more about this pinched coax and whether or not it could be a DIY fix.
My pinched cable is located inside the camera housing mounted to the windshield. I didn't see the procedure to pop off the cover. The tech said he massaged the kink out of it and rearranged the wires in there so as to not be pinched.

Tesla Mobile service has replaced the cabin camera in our Model Y the other day. Sentry Mode Live View now works in the dark and I can now see the two pink dots near the camera when looking through the iPhone. The IR emitters work!

I haven't tried driving on FSD at night on a dark street yet, but I am pretty sure it will now work too.

Reactions: dzajic
Our camera was replaced a few months ago just before warranty expired.

I noticed that is no longer working again.

Not really sure what to do as still on 2023.36.x but I’m going to have to move on at some point and not wanting to lose AP/FSD (uk, so not city streets beta)

I’m hoping it is indeed a software issue.

After i received the almost $600 price tag to replace me cabin camera, i decided to take matters into my own hands....I ordered a replacement front facing camera assembly from ebay...installed it...it worked!!! For a day 😞....now i get the same error as before and cannot use FDS...THIS IS OBVIOUSLY POOR CRAFTSMANSHIP by Tesla and I have to suffer and pay for it?!?! Something is not right with this scenario!!!!

I will try to adjust the cables to see if this helps...it is kinda twisted and squeezed into the housing.

Been following this thread for a while now and finally made an account to add my experience so far in hopes that it may help others/get to the bottom of what's causing this.

2019 Model 3 - 2023.44.30.8 (at time of posting)

Brief background of my expierence with 'Cabin Camera Unavailable' alert:
Prior to the December 2023 updates the only times I had issues with my cabin camera going unavailable were on exceptionally hot days when my car was parked in the sun for a period of time. When entering the car it would give the alert, and the unit felt warm/hot to the touch; which all made sense. After the AC kicks on and the cabin cools, the alert would go away and the camera would be available again and I could use FSD without problems, the camera would remain active for the rest of the drive without issue.

When this specific issue started happening:
After the mid-December 2023 updates, that alert started happening more frequently and seemingly without any consistency of conditions that caused the issue to occur. On my 1hr15min commutes to work, I'd notice the alert would suddenly kick in generally somewhere between 15minutes-40minutes. Once the camera popped the alert that it was unavailable, FSD would cease working and would be unavailable for the rest of the drive regardless of the driving conditions or duration. (Checking the camera status in the service menu even minutes after the alert would pop up, would always show the system as green and operational with no issues)

DIY Troubleshooting attempts:
I've tried a number of general troubleshooting steps; Multiple hotfix/small patch updates since the issue began, steering wheel reset, Reset DAS in service mode, and after reading this thread, removing the unit casing and fiddling lightly with the coax cable to see if it might be under any excess stress (didn't appear to be, and giving the cable more slack did not fix it in my case)

Temporary minor 'fix'(but not really a fix):
The only temporary 'fix' that I found was that it seems to reset itself and becomes available again (allowing for FSD) after the car goes to sleep or has the DAS manually reset in service mode. If parked somewhere with sentry mode on, returning to the car a period later would show that FSD was available but attempting to initiate it would immediately bring up the camera error alert.
- It seems as though situations where the camera is still 'active' even passively, prevents the error from fully being lifted, although sentry mode (to my knowledge) doesn't utilize the cabin camera unless you live-view it, it still keeps it in an 'online' state preventing the issue from lifting and propperly resetting FSD availability.

Next Steps and what I'm currently trying before full hardware replacement:
I've reached out with all this information to my service center, who immediately scheduled a mobile appointment for a full replacement of the camera. Repair estimate was around $650 including parts & labor (and a low-voltage diagnostic test).
That price felt steep to me, especially with it only starting to occur alongside the December software updates (And a small number of other cases identical to mine reported online from others)

After the fiddling with the coax cable didn't supply any positive improvements or results, I'm giving one last try before I schedule service for a replacement/in person diagnostics. The last thing I'd want is that this truly is a software problem and to spend $650 unnecessarily when it can be fixed in a future update, or to spend getting it fixed and having the problem continue to occur and wild-goose chasing more costly replacements like the ECU.

I've requested the service center send out a re-install of my current software (2023.44.30.8) to see if a re-install (instead of a progressive patch) may help. Granted, I don't believe it did a full re-download of the update, and there's a chance that the reinstallation process is no different than it was the first time around and may still have the issue afterwards, but it was one more free step to try before pulling the trigger on a costly repair.

I'll update the thread with any findings after my commute tonight/tomorrow if there's any improvements and if it remains, I'll update with the results of the service appointment on Wednesday.

Reactions: SalisburySam
Would like to share my experience (2018 P3D- with FSD here).

I had a few FSD Autopilot disengagements due to the "cabin camera unavailable" error warning, starting mid-December, including one on 101 northbound in the Potrero neighborhood of San Francisco. Not a great spot to have your vehicle decelerate and the hazard lights activate. I was rear-ended here in 2015 in an Audi S3. Should have been totaled...amounted to $25k of damage, paid for by the culprit's insurance.

The Tesla mobile app automatically scheduled me for "mobile service," which has traditionally been a problem, because I live on a very steep hill. Two technicians arrived today, and I explained to them I hadn't consented to the total repair amount. They said they'd let me know if only the cable harness or camera module needed replacement—if the bill would be only a part of the original estimate.

One technician said he'd seen this issue before and thus taught the other technician how to perform the repair. The total amount on the proposal came to $582 including tax. It's strange, because although I clicked on the button to review the proposal, I never actually hit a button to accept it. After the service was complete, the repair was marked as "paid." And yet there were still buttons available to "approve proposal" and "pay for the service."

Because I have unlimited supercharging (yes, my M3 is that old), I don't have any payment methods stored in my app. Consequently, thus far, Tesla has been unable to bill me (I checked my credit card statements to be sure). They called me to explain that my vehicle's warranty had just expired, and I replied, well, will you be sending this bill to collections, then? They didn't have a clear answer for me.

Would like to share my experience (2018 P3D- with FSD here).

I had a few FSD Autopilot disengagements due to the "cabin camera unavailable" error warning, starting mid-December, including one on 101 northbound in the Potrero neighborhood of San Francisco. Not a great spot to have your vehicle decelerate and the hazard lights activate. I was rear-ended here in 2015 in an Audi S3. Should have been totaled...amounted to $25k of damage, paid for by the culprit's insurance.

The Tesla mobile app automatically scheduled me for "mobile service," which has traditionally been a problem, because I live on a very steep hill. Two technicians arrived today, and I explained to them I hadn't consented to the total repair amount. They said they'd let me know if only the cable harness or camera module needed replacement—if the bill would be only a part of the original estimate.

One technician said he'd seen this issue before and thus taught the other technician how to perform the repair. The total amount on the proposal came to $582 including tax. It's strange, because although I clicked on the button to review the proposal, I never actually hit a button to accept it. After the service was complete, the repair was marked as "paid." And yet there were still buttons available to "approve proposal" and "pay for the service."

Because I have unlimited supercharging (yes, my M3 is that old), I don't have any payment methods stored in my app. Consequently, thus far, Tesla has been unable to bill me (I checked my credit card statements to be sure). They called me to explain that my vehicle's warranty had just expired, and I replied, well, will you be sending this bill to collections, then? They didn't have a clear answer for me.
What service did they end up performing? Replacing the camera, harness, both?