Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Cabin Camera Unavailable" Kills FSD. AP Okay.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update to my prior post:

Software reinstall seemed promising at first, a commute home where the camera was fully available for the entirety of the 1hr30min drive.
However this morning, not quite as fortunate as it crapped out again on my commute about 30-40 mins into driving.

Tesla service center also changed my appointment from mobile to in person at the center citing that the remote diagnostics a tech ran was unclear on if it was a firmware issue or not and that they didn't have the equipment for the following diagnostic available for the remote service.

Looking very likely that a camera replacement ( or possibly a harness?) is going to be necessary..

Reactions: BossHoggz
I had Tesla mobile service out today. The replaced the camera assembly for $364. Not sure what accounts for the price difference. I actually thought that was fairly reasonable to on-site service. I've yet to drive it but will report back tomorrow.

So replacing the camera module seems to have solved the problem. My commute is 65 minutes and it performed flawlessly yesterday evening and this morning. I gotta say that I'm pretty impressed with with Tesla service. My two previous cars were Jaguar and BMW and neither of them would send a technician to my workplace to affect repairs. I live in a remote, rural area and he had to drive 3 hours to get here from Louisville, KY.

I got my camera replaced today by mobile service. I mentioned your experience so the tech checked the cable and it was pinched. Since he didn't have a replacement cable he went ahead and replaced the camera. He reorganized the cables a bit so that the cable is no longer pinched and said if I still lose the cabin camera, I can bring it in to the SC and get the cable replaced. Only 18 FSD miles today but no errors.

Well I started getting the error message again. So the pinched cable was the problem. Time to schedule the camera replacement again.

My cabin camera was replaced by mobile service. It didn't look difficult and took less than 30 minutes. The guy spent most of his time on his tablet with paperwork and diagnosis. I was happy I didn't have to do a 160 mile RT drive for Tesla Service. So far so good with FSD on small trips. I'll be putting it to the test this weekend with an 1800 mile trip.

Brought my car in for service -

Explained the issue to them in the messages on the app, with screenshots of the error and timestamps. I laid it all out as I did in my previous post. (Original quote for diagnostics and cabin camera replacement ~$650).

Originally expected to take 3 days, I checked in for updates and they said they were still working on diagnosing but should have answers soon. They said that the firmware was having problems communicating with the diagnosing tools and that they had to reach out to engineers at the nearby Freemont plant for support to look into it.

Mid day they called in to update that it appeared to be an issue with the repeaters (cameras) communicating with the autopilot computer (duh, I figured as much and had laid all that out prior/during dropping off the car...). They said they'll update again in the evening once they look into it more.

That evening they reach out again and what they determined;

Confirmed it's an issue with the camera communicating with the autopilot computer, but that it is a firmware/software issue and not a hardware issue. They said that they spoke with the engineers and that they are aware of this issue and that there is already a fix implemented in an upcoming 2024.xx.xx firmware update. As such, they don't believe it's a hardware problem and that when that update releases (soon?) it should resolve my issue.

This is both relieving/frustrating;
It'd be great not to spend $600 on a new camera and labor for installation; however, there's also no known date for when that 2024.xx.xx patch may be released. They also didn't have any information on WHICH 2024 patch it would be (in case it's a second or third update in the pipeline being tested currently).
I'm set to pick up my car tomorrow morning, but now it's just a waiting game for the next update to hopefully solve the issue. If it doesn't, I have to then contact them to have them confirm if that firmware was the one that was supposed to have the fix or not; if so and the issue persisted, then I have to bring it back in to take another look. If it doesn't have the fix, then it's more waiting until that supposed patch releases.
I'm a FSD subscriber, so this stings having just renewed my month of FSD with no known time window for when this 'fix' update may drop, meaning that my FSD is largely unusable and wasted my money for this month..

Final update for anyone still trying to run into this or happens across this thread with the same issue;

Service center goodwill comped the diagnostic and in their final service update quoted that the expected fix is in '2024.8'
On one hand it's nice to now have a numbered version to keep my eye out for..but at the time of writing this 2024.2 is still in very early preliminary rollout...meaning .8 is at the very soonest, the FOLLOWING update; which could be weeks/months away...

Going to be likely canceling my FSD subscription until that update rolls out, since having it only usable for 20-30 minutes at a time at most, and then having to either disable Sentry mode or manually reset the DAS within the service menu to get it to work again after parking is definitely not worth the subscription cost. I'll be reaching out to Tesla support to see if they can offer any kind of partial refund or comp since there's (seemingly) no way to fix this issue currently. (though i still suspect a full camera hardware replacement may fix it)

Final update for anyone still trying to run into this or happens across this thread with the same issue;

Service center goodwill comped the diagnostic and in their final service update quoted that the expected fix is in '2024.8'
On one hand it's nice to now have a numbered version to keep my eye out for..but at the time of writing this 2024.2 is still in very early preliminary rollout...meaning .8 is at the very soonest, the FOLLOWING update; which could be weeks/months away...

Going to be likely canceling my FSD subscription until that update rolls out, since having it only usable for 20-30 minutes at a time at most, and then having to either disable Sentry mode or manually reset the DAS within the service menu to get it to work again after parking is definitely not worth the subscription cost. I'll be reaching out to Tesla support to see if they can offer any kind of partial refund or comp since there's (seemingly) no way to fix this issue currently. (though i still suspect a full camera hardware replacement may fix it)
My issues seems to be like this...replacing my camera (on my own) did not solve the issue.

Reactions: Giomta
Hello all same issue with most of you. 2018 m3 with cabin camera unavailable and service mode reset solves for a short bit. I replaced the camera my self with the same issue. Either the wire harness or the computer itself maybe at fault.

In the logs under the service menu, I would get errors APP_W190_selfieCameraStreamExit followed by APP_W330_cabinCameraFault when FSD was disabled. Camera replacement and working the kink out of the cable fixed my problem. I hope that's helpful.

I've been getting "Cabin Camera Unavailable" 90% of the time trying to activate FSD. Took the car in, they said they'd need to replace BOTH the camera and computer, for over $3k! Any attempt to probe their logic (why not try just replacing one or the other first?) was met with "We have an internal flow chart for this problem, and it says to replace both.".

I refused the repair and they charged me a $300 diagnosis fee. Also, they broke a visor clip during their diagnosis. Very bad experience with the Tesla service center. Now I'm planning to just wait for the next update and hope that fixes it 🤞.

In the logs under the service menu, I would get errors APP_W190_selfieCameraStreamExit followed by APP_W330_cabinCameraFault when FSD was disabled. Camera replacement and working the kink out of the cable fixed my problem. I hope that's helpful.
Exact same error mine has. Though I haven't gotten ( or noticed ) the APP_W330 one. Not sure if that occurs simultaneously if the camera dies while FSD is active, or if it's the error when attempting FSD after the error occurs. Will do a peek next time I run into it.

Just got the push for 2023.44.30.14 - though I'm not holding my breath..

Exact same error mine has. Though I haven't gotten ( or noticed ) the APP_W330 one. Not sure if that occurs simultaneously if the camera dies while FSD is active, or if it's the error when attempting FSD after the error occurs. Will do a peek next time I run into it.

Just got the push for 2023.44.30.14 - though I'm not holding my breath..
The errors did not always occur in pairs. Sometimes only APP_190 occurred. The two errors APP_W190 and APP_W330 happened with the same displayed timestamp.

Thanks for the update. I’m a little confused on version number. Just downloaded the 2023.44.30.14 yesterday. So does that mean we are not even on the 2024 branch yet? And they are just internally testing 2024.2 as you said?

Have the same intermittent issue as all of you in this thread on my 2018 m3p. So hoping a software update fixes it. I know it isn’t wear and tear since I only have 2k miles (most of those to maintain safety score to try and get FSD beta when that was a thing) on the car. Been waiting patiently to use FSD for nearly 6 years now. Been having this cabin camera problem since the I was able to access FSD on wide launch over a year ago. Major disappointment. Read people having this issue a year ago. Figured it would be solved by now or a known actual fix.

If software doesn’t fix it. I will have to explore other avenues of action. Don’t want to pay 6-700 that may or may not fix a problem that came from the factory. Its like rubbing salt in the wound for being so patient. Doesn’t sit right with me. Especially since my warranty expired on a time basis a couple months before FSD went wide. So no way for me to know about this issue beforehand.

Thanks for the update. I’m a little confused on version number. Just downloaded the 2023.44.30.14 yesterday. So does that mean we are not even on the 2024 branch yet? And they are just internally testing 2024.2 as you said?
2023.44.30.14 provides the recent icon recall remedy for cars with FSD. FSD cars have not been pushed 2024.2.x because, apparently, Tesla is holding them back in anticipation for receiving FSD v12 built on a 2023.44.30.x base.

Non-FSD cars have been sent 2024.2.x, which provides the recall remedy as well as a few new features. Those of us on FSD will get those features later.

I've been getting "Cabin Camera Unavailable" 90% of the time trying to activate FSD. Took the car in, they said they'd need to replace BOTH the camera and computer, for over $3k! Any attempt to probe their logic (why not try just replacing one or the other first?) was met with "We have an internal flow chart for this problem, and it says to replace both.".

I refused the repair and they charged me a $300 diagnosis fee. Also, they broke a visor clip during their diagnosis. Very bad experience with the Tesla service center. Now I'm planning to just wait for the next update and hope that fixes it 🤞.
Last service appointment they put a scratch on one of my rear doors. 2 month old car & those careless a-holes f'd it up.