Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
well it's been 5 weeks, wonder if i call dmv or tesla to inquire. not sure who would be worse, calling either of them is like a root canal to the brain.

It would be DMV. They may have mailed to your plates to an old address or something! I paid off one of my cars early this year. The bank said that I should be receiving the title from DMV in 4 to 6 weeks. After 6 weeks, nothing happened. Turns out DMV mailed the address to the address when the car was purchased 5 years ago. The car's registration was updated to the new address years ago, and our driver licenses were updated to the new address. So why would they mail the title to the old address? It is really weird.

well it's been 5 weeks, wonder if i call dmv or tesla to inquire. not sure who would be worse, calling either of them is like a root canal to the brain.

This happened to me with a different car years ago - DMV mailed my plates to a wrong address. If you are a AAA member, you can use them - they were able to issue me new plates at their store.

This happened to me with a different car years ago - DMV mailed my plates to a wrong address. If you are a AAA member, you can use them - they were able to issue me new plates at their store.

I do have AAA. You just walk into the office and say 'i dont have my plates yet?'. I have the registration form from delivery day.

As I recall, in CA Tesla is not considered a dealer, and therefore when we purchased our MS and MX, we had to sign a POA to allow Tesla to act on our behalf to title the car. In doing so, the DMV sent our new plates and title to Tesla, who in turn forwarded them directly to us. Any delay in getting new plates may not be the fault of the DMV...

As I recall, in CA Tesla is not considered a dealer, and therefore when we purchased our MS and MX, we had to sign a POA to allow Tesla to act on our behalf to title the car. In doing so, the DMV sent our new plates and title to Tesla, who in turn forwarded them directly to us. Any delay in getting new plates may not be the fault of the DMV...
Yes I remember signing the POA so Tesla can apply for registration for me. I also received the title in the mail today, it's mailed directly from DMV. I don't remember if my envelope for the registration/plates were forwarded by Tesla though.

I signed a POA as well (Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form REG 262), however, not sure that doesn't apply for any dealer (any seller would do vehicle transfer).

Tesla is registered with CA DMV as a dealer - License # 68106 (it is Fremont and not the individual delivery centers). I received my plates (and Title) direct from the DMV. Don't remember exactly how long it took, but it was about 2-3 weeks after delivery for the plates to arrive.

• Informative
Reactions: Troy916
still no plates after 6 weeks. would be nice to be able to apply for HOV and the free express lanes.

being on hold with DMV for 30 minutes now. so painful.

i have a feeling that tesla just forgot to send the paperwork. that would be pretty par for the course for my experience with them so far.

still no plates after 6 weeks. would be nice to be able to apply for HOV and the free express lanes.

being on hold with DMV for 30 minutes now. so painful.

i have a feeling that tesla just forgot to send the paperwork. that would be pretty par for the course for my experience with them so far.

called DMV again today. yup. haven't received any paperwork from tesla after six weeks. /facepalm