Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw that the CA DMV webpage with carpool sticker information was updated recently. Not sure if the linked form (REG 1000) was updated or not, but the language at the bottom in Section 3 cites the governing law (California Vehicle Code (CVC) §5205.5) and states "For a vehicle purchased on or after January 1, 2018, the Department of Motor Vehicles cannot issue a clean air decal to an applicant who has received a consumer rebate, nor can an applicant participate in both the Clean Air Decal Program and the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project."

I bought a Tesla in 2016 and got the white sticker and the rebate (under the prior carpool related portion of CVC). I sold that car and bought a new Tesla because I need the sticker (am planning to apply in January for the purple version). However, in looking at the language from §5205.5 as used by the CA DMV, am I still eligible? I have already received a rebate but it was for a different Tesla more than two years ago.

It’s based on your VIN, not the customer. With your new vehicle you can either get the purple sticker or the rebate, not both.

I saw that the CA DMV webpage with carpool sticker information was updated recently. Not sure if the linked form (REG 1000) was updated or not, but the language at the bottom in Section 3 cites the governing law (California Vehicle Code (CVC) §5205.5) and states "For a vehicle purchased on or after January 1, 2018, the Department of Motor Vehicles cannot issue a clean air decal to an applicant who has received a consumer rebate, nor can an applicant participate in both the Clean Air Decal Program and the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project."

I bought a Tesla in 2016 and got the white sticker and the rebate (under the prior carpool related portion of CVC). I sold that car and bought a new Tesla because I need the sticker (am planning to apply in January for the purple version). However, in looking at the language from §5205.5 as used by the CA DMV, am I still eligible? I have already received a rebate but it was for a different Tesla more than two years ago.

cvrp_decal.JPG

My decals are on-order, as is my custom plate. However, I'll be getting my digital license plate soon, so then I'll want to removed the stickers. Are the stickers easy to remove?

Did you try removing your old stickers yet? We made sure to apply them to Xpel as I'm under the impression they are like the month/year license plate sticker for Calif plates that or bumper stickers. Don't think I've seen anyone who applied them to the paint body and said how difficult/easy removal was.

Did you try removing your old stickers yet? We made sure to apply them to Xpel as I'm under the impression they are like the month/year license plate sticker for Calif plates that or bumper stickers. Don't think I've seen anyone who applied them to the paint body and said how difficult/easy removal was.
It's a pain in the butt. They leave behind rows of the word "void" that need to be painstakingly scraped off. Watch from about 1:20 in this video:

I'd love to plaster the stupid stickers all over the car of the person who came up with this "brilliant" idea ...

Yeah, removal sucks. I've done two cars now. Second one went much more quickly.

My tips? Heat the sticker up -- probably hotter than you think it needs to be. I think I didn't heat the stickers enough on the first car. Additionally, in my experience at least, if you can start with the bottom-right corner of the sticker and pull back diagonally toward the upper-left corner, it seems less likely to leave the "void" stickers remnants behind.

The "voids" I was able to remove with goo gone and elbow grease.

Is goo gone safe for the clear coat? I could not find any info on that part.

I know it normally takes approximately 1 month to get the stickers. I hope it's not like 2-3 months because a lot of people waited to apply the 1st of the year to get the purple stickers.

Reactions: DanCar and Russell
I posted in another similar thread, but I'll re-iterate here as well.

You can now search for a previously registered VIN (prior to 1/1/2017) via a published PDF by the CA DMV:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...b70495a9904d/CAVVINList.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CVID=

Technically if your VIN is found in the document, you DO NOT qualify for the RED HOV stickers. That doesn't mean you can't try though!

^^^ Very interesting list. Peculiar to see one European Roadster that got CA Carpool stickers...

312-a.png

312-b.png

Is goo gone safe for the clear coat? I could not find any info on that part.

I know it normally takes approximately 1 month to get the stickers. I hope it's not like 2-3 months because a lot of people waited to apply the 1st of the year to get the purple stickers.

Should be fine -- I think it's basically citrus oil. Regardless, I wiped it all off with a combination of rubbing alcohol and a microfiber towel as I needed to prep the surface to apply the new stickers.

I posted in another similar thread, but I'll re-iterate here as well.

You can now search for a previously registered VIN (prior to 1/1/2017) via a published PDF by the CA DMV:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...b70495a9904d/CAVVINList.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CVID=

Technically if your VIN is found in the document, you DO NOT qualify for the RED HOV stickers. That doesn't mean you can't try though!

If an owner with a white sticker was applying today, would they get the purple sticker and not the red one?

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...ac-8e8cbea4a69b/18vin16.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CVID=

If an owner with a white sticker was applying today, would they get the purple sticker and not the red one?

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...ac-8e8cbea4a69b/18vin16.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CVID=

no, they would get a red one. purple ones are for those that have never had a hov sticker, so if you have a white sticker (and aren't on the pre-2017 list), then you'd get a red one. The red one is good for 3 years and is an extension for those that only got up to 2 years of use from their previous sticker, the purple is good for 4 years and is meant for those that are getting new HOV stickers for the first time..

• Informative
Reactions: TEG
Still no stickers here....mailed the app in late Oct, confirmed they did receive it. Can't determine if the check was cashed as it was a BoA MO. Anyone else from this timeframe (or earlier) still waiting? Thanks.
That's about when I mailed my app (Oct 18) and check was cashed Nov 14 and stickers in my mailbox about one week later. I've done this a few times and the cycle has been pretty consistent. Seems like something's amiss.