Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. Those FasTrak toll lanes are PRIVATE roads, owned and operated by FasTrak. You have to have a membership to use the road (with or without transponder), or cash if you travel on the toll roads with Toll booths (91 FWY does not).

This is not true. There may be some privately owned toll roads that use FasTrak, but there are also publicly owned toll roads and express lanes, such as the Orange County toll road system and the I-15 express lanes in San Diego. FasTrak is actually a trademark owned by the Transportation Corridor Agencies, which is a public agency that also operates the Orange County toll roads.

Nope. Those FasTrak toll lanes are PRIVATE roads, owned and operated by FasTrak. You have to have a membership to use the road (with or without transponder), or cash if you travel on the toll roads with Toll booths (91 FWY does not).

From the assembly bill:

(h) (1) Notwithstanding Section 21655.9, and except as provided in paragraph (2), a vehicle described in subdivision (a) that displays a decal, label, or identifier issued pursuant to this section shall be exempt from toll charges imposed on single-occupant vehicles in high-occupancy toll lanes as described in Section 149.7 of the Streets and Highways Code unless prohibited by federal law.

The senate version appears to have the same provision.

Delivery 4/20.
Plates arrived 5/15
Sent in HOV application 5/17
Check cashed 5/31

Came home and guess what was in the mail! :biggrin:

On a side note. I applied to get personalized plates. Does this mean I have to re-apply for the HOV stickers? Or will this transfer? (sorry if this question was already asked...i tried to read through all the postings, but got tired :redface:)

Last edited:
Debated whether I wanted to stick the HOV stickers on. Bit the bullet and applied the small one on the grey section of rear bumper, and one big one next to the right wheel well. The third is in my glove compartment.

Looking back, I should have spent more time aligning and taking a step back to see the overall look and placement before actually sticking them on. I aligned the right wheel one parallel to the bumper line, instead of the ground. So it points down. Oh well.

I did use 3M paint armor for the right wheel well, though. Stuck the HOV sticker onto the 3M paper, then meticulously cut around the HOV sticker so that the 3M was flush with the HOV sticker border. then stuck that on the car. You can't tell that it is on 3M armor.

The good news is that my commute went from 45 minutes down to about 25 minutes.

Mine just arrived about 3-4 weeks after mailing off the check and form. Not too bad. Quick question though....on a black car, I would prefer to place the stickers on the lower unpainted ruberized part of the bodywork. Does anyone know if these wil adhere to that material or if they will peel off? Anyone with experience one way or the other? Thanks!

I applied mine to the lower black rubber/plastic area both on the right rear and the left & right sides. I did prep the area with alcohol to be sure it was very clean and dry. For the larger side stickers I tucked part of the upper rounded shape into the slot between the sheet aluminum fender and the black skirt, lining up the flat top edge of the sticker with the seam. Doesn't look too bad, all things consiered.

I didn't want to put all three decals on my CA Tesla. Talked to DMV in Sacramento and was advised the ticket would be "equipment" not moving violation if pulled-over. So far, I haven't had a problem. I think the CHP have plenty to do without stopping a car that obviously has paid the fee for a car that qualifies. Will see.

Mine just arrived about 3-4 weeks after mailing off the check and form. Not too bad. Quick question though....on a black car, I would prefer to place the stickers on the lower unpainted ruberized part of the bodywork. Does anyone know if these wil adhere to that material or if they will peel off? Anyone with experience one way or the other? Thanks!

That's where I put my stickers. So far so good.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374545790.798322.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374545860.098728.jpg