Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California / PG&E Permanent Battery Storage Rebate - $5,000 incentive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California

Tesla sent me an email this afternoon alerting me to this program because I live in an area subject to a ton of "Enhanced Powerline Safety Settings" outages. Not sure I "need" another Powerwall but for $5k off I submitted an interest form to see what happens. Gotta do something to hedge against those 20%+ rate increase requests...

Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 7.02.51 PM.png

Check that you are actually eligible by visiting the PG&E site. I got the same email but I'm not eligible. This was also the case with a friend. I think they didn't filter appropriately.
I’m definitely in an eligible location in the Sierra foothills based on the address lookup… terms and conditions don’t seem to exclude people that already HAVE battery storage, so… guess we’ll see in five business days what they say.

Check that you are actually eligible by visiting the PG&E site. I got the same email but I'm not eligible. This was also the case with a friend. I think they didn't filter appropriately.
I think you are correct that something is off. When I enter my address it says I am not eligible, and "PSPS event history for this location. This location has had no past Public Safety Power Shutoffs (PSPS)." I guess is missed the PSPS events last year and the year before?

I think you are correct that something is off. When I enter my address it says I am not eligible, and "PSPS event history for this location. This location has had no past Public Safety Power Shutoffs (PSPS)." I guess is missed the PSPS events last year and the year before?
Yeah it says zero PSPS events for me too and I’ve most certainly had a few of them in the past several years.

That said, I believe this program is not necessarily for people who experience PSPS events, but rather “Enhanced Powerline Safety Settings" outages. These aren’t the same thing.

When the power goes out here, for any reason - it is almost always an hour or two (or sometimes longer) before it’s turned back on. This is due to these “enhanced” safety settings that basically requires them to inspect and/or test the lines every time before restoring power. There’s no such thing as a “blip” here or a 5 minute outage any more… if the power goes out, it’s almost always an extended ordeal.

Reactions: RKCRLR and h2ofun
Yeah it says zero PSPS events for me too and I’ve most certainly had a few of them in the past several years.

That said, I believe this program is not necessarily for people who experience PSPS events, but rather “Enhanced Powerline Safety Settings" outages. These aren’t the same thing.

When the power goes out here, for any reason - it is almost always an hour or two (or sometimes longer) before it’s turned back on. This is due to these “enhanced” safety settings that basically requires them to inspect and/or test the lines every time before restoring power. There’s no such thing as a “blip” here or a 5 minute outage any more… if the power goes out, it’s almost always an extended ordeal.
Thanks. That definitely is different. I wonder if this is for Danville and other nearby places that are seeing each power glitch results in 2-3 hours of downtime for checking the lines. Is that what you see?

Reactions: ucmndd

And if it goes out in the late afternoon/evening it stays out until the next morning when they can use the helicopters to do line inspections...

Regardless of the website, won't one need an e-mail with a unique code for this program, per the PDF T&C's?

"FOR PERMANENTLY INSTALLED BATTERIES (measure code PBS10) – these terms apply for a$5,000 rebate:
• I have received a Confirmation Code via email from PG&E confirming my eligibility for a permanent battery.
• I have experienced 8 or more EPSS outages since January 2022.
• I must enroll in the Power Saver Rewards program (or other equivalent program as determined byPG&E), located here: https://powersaver.pge.com• I must be enrolled on a Time-of-Use rate
...."

Or does that code come AFTER submitting the request form and being screened by them for eligibility?

Does this mean some of us that are denied at the current website might be eligible?
While the mapping eligibility tool says that it is for PSPS, but when you get the map up, it shows EPSS events, so I suspect that if you fail the mapping tool, yes you are not likely to succeed.
Regardless of the website, won't one need an e-mail with a unique code for this program, per the PDF T&C's?

"FOR PERMANENTLY INSTALLED BATTERIES (measure code PBS10) – these terms apply for a$5,000 rebate:
• I have received a Confirmation Code via email from PG&E confirming my eligibility for a permanent battery.
• I have experienced 8 or more EPSS outages since January 2022.
• I must enroll in the Power Saver Rewards program (or other equivalent program as determined byPG&E), located here: https://powersaver.pge.com• I must be enrolled on a Time-of-Use rate
...."

Or does that code come AFTER submitting the request form and being screened by them for eligibility?
The way the eligibility form above is worded, I took it to mean that you had to be invited, but I agree that it doesn't actually say that. If you qualify for the rest of it, I would call PG&E and try to get them to send you the missing code, but there are more than a few qualifications required to be eligible...

However, looking at the EPSS map, I would predict that there aren't going to be ooodles of eligible folks out there.

All the best,

BG

That was my assumption - filling out the interest form would result in some sort of confirmation / reservation code.

Assuming they get back to me in 5 business days like they say they will, I’ll know by the end of the week.

Does seem to be a fairly limited eligibility pool. I shared with a neighbor about a mile away (who is apparently on a different power feeder) and they don’t qualify while my address does. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I just got the e-mail this afternoon as well - maybe they're just sending this to all Tesla customers in PG&E land? While I am for sure in an EPSS area, I think we've remarkably had no outages, EPSS or otherwise, since the big storms in the spring - better than average for our area.

That was my assumption - filling out the interest form would result in some sort of confirmation / reservation code.

Assuming they get back to me in 5 business days like they say they will, I’ll know by the end of the week.

Does seem to be a fairly limited eligibility pool. I shared with a neighbor about a mile away (who is apparently on a different power feeder) and they don’t qualify while my address does. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Did you get any response back yet?

I finally realized the original e-mail and action link came from Tesla, probably a blanket spam out to all Tesla account holders in PG&E land without regard to actual eligibility, and was just pointing to Tesla's Energy pages. But the interest form you're referring to is PG&E's one for the specific rebate program - and there is probably one poor hapless soul at PG&E's central offices who is used to getting a handful of inquiries per week, now being bombarded with thousands of interest submissions mostly ineligible, and overwhelmed because poor soul probably has some actual day job responsibilities besides processing these inquiries...

I saw this but discounted it as soon as I read the requirements that said I had to have safety outages at my address but I've had zero. I'd gladly order an extra powerwall to bring it up to 4 if I could get the $5K rebate.

Well it wasn’t quite five business days, but not that bad. So I guess I need to buy a powerwall now.

Dear ucmndd,

Thank you for submitting an interest form for the Permanent Battery Storage Rebate.
This email confirms your eligibility to receive the rebate of $5,000.
Your Confirmation number is XXXXXX.
Please review the next steps to ensure you receive your $5,000 rebate.
Next Steps:
  1. Purchase and install an approved battery through a licensed contractor. View ourQualified Product List.
If you need help locating an installer, the contractors on the following list have previously installed permanent batteries through our programs. view our contractor list (XLSX, 24 KB).
    1. If you already have a contractor you are working with, please coordinate with them to purchase and install the battery storage system.
    2. If you have a solar photovoltaic system, please work with your solar contractor to ensure your new battery is compatible with your solar system.
  1. Submit your rebate once your contractor has connected your battery system to the grid. Before submitting your application, be sure you have the invoice that includes the date, the contractor’s license number, and the make/model of the battery.
    1. If you are not already enrolled, you will need to switch your current rate to one of these time varying rate plans. View Time-of-Use Rate Plan.
    2. If you are not already on the Power Saver Rewards Program, you will need to enroll. View Power Saver Rewards Program.
  2. Our Application Management Team will review all applications and verify that the required information and documents have been successfully submitted. If there are any issues, they will reach out to you. It may take 4 to 6 weeks from the time you submit your application to the time you receive your rebate. This will be sent in the form of a check to the mailing address provided in the application.
Please note: Your application must be submitted within 12 months of the date of purchase.
If you have any questions, please reply to this email and we will assist you.
Thank you for participating in the Permanent Battery Storage Rebate.
PG&E Customer Generation and Storage Team
You can read about PG&E’s data privacy practices at PGE.com/privacy.

Reactions: sorka and AMPd
Well it wasn’t quite five business days, but not that bad. So I guess I need to buy a powerwall now.
Congrats! I noticed on the qualified product list, that not only are Powerwall 2/+ eligible, but so are MegaPacks - so I say SIZE UP!

On a more serious note, seems like you have to enroll in Power Saver Rewards, which would require unenrolling from other DRP's, so I wonder if this would exclude one from Tesla VPP?

Reactions: ucmndd