Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California waiting room Q4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another week has passed by and nothing new on my account. I called my SA again and now he's saying that Fremont factory is backed up for Model 3/Y's and all deliveries are delayed. The new estimated delivery date range for Bay Area is now end of Dec - mid January.

This doesn't make sense at all to me, as there's plenty of Bay Area folks here who have taken delivery recently, or are about to delivery soon. Something doesn't add up. I mentioned that I shouldn't I be given priority since I ordered earlier, in September and I see people online who ordered just a week or two ago having VINs/taking delivery? Unfortunately he said it doesn't work that way. Even if the online profile is fully completed, its "up to the Tesla algorithm".

I don't know if this a coincidence or not given my discussion with SA yesterday, but a VIN showed up today online, 92k. :eek:
Estimated Delivery: December 11 - December 14

Ordered 9/11. 13 weeks from order placement to VIN. Let's see how many days from VIN to delivery. Nobody has reached out to me yet, so I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: Trej3387
I don't know if this a coincidence or not given my discussion with SA yesterday, but a VIN showed up today online, 92k. :eek:

Ordered 9/11. 13 weeks from order placement to VIN. Let's see how many days from VIN to delivery. Nobody has reached out to me yet, so I'm not holding my breath.
I also had a VIN show up the day after I contacted SA about the status. They said they wouldnt know until after the VIN is assigned.

I've shared this in an earlier post here but VINs are assigned two ways.

The extreme vast majority are assigned by the magic algorithm that Tesla has but I have heard through an SA that there's another option where an SA can "shop" a VIN for vehicles that are 1) just literally rolling off the factory, 2) been shipped to another SC w/o a match but waiting for a prospective buyer of that particular config.

For this second option, the SA has to be extremely lucky and needs a special situation to find a VIN that matches your profile but apparently it is known to happen occasionally.

Having said that, please don't go badgering your SA about option 2. It will ruin someone else's day.

Ordered 10/25, LR AWD, Black exterior, White Interior. FSD. Got text 11/19 saying it will be ready in 4-6 week. Sent a message to SA on Dec 9, they said they would let me know when something changes. Yesterday got a text, going to pick up today. VIN 88XXX

Nice! I could have picked up today but there were only two time slots that didn't really work for me. Picking up tomorrow morning in Colma. I'm hoping its not raining during pick up.

Ordered 10/25, LR AWD, Black exterior, White Interior. FSD. Got text 11/19 saying it will be ready in 4-6 week. Sent a message to SA on Dec 9, they said they would let me know when something changes. Yesterday got a text, going to pick up today. VIN 88XXX
Same config got same msg same day, but still waiting a VIN. May I ask where you locate?

In the most bizzare turn of events, I received my vehicle today! :D

A member from the Frement Factory Delivery team reached out and asked me whether I was interested in taking delivery today. Of course I said yes! A few minutes afters that, all the paper work showed up on my online account, which I signed, and did my final payment.

A few hours later, the Model Y was delivered to my home via Tesla Direct Drop Delivery. The entire experience was touchless. Inside the vehicle was a FedEx envelope with the DMV paperwork. I'm supposed to sign it and drop it off at any FedEx drop box.

To summarize:

Order -> VIN: 13 weeks.
VIN -> delivery: 0 days.

I'll create another thread with any issues I find. I haven't gotten a chance to look over the car yet. I'll likely not follow this thread any longer, and I wish happy thoughts to anyone else taking delivery in Q4!

And finally, a quick snap of my vehicle on this rainy NorCal delivery day :):

077A6C.md.jpg

Last edited:
glad to have been of assistance!

m-310,

Today, Fri 12/11 my account page shows a VIN. (The third VIN in my saga.) Later today day a delivery appointment appeared on my account for this Sun 12/13. Still no email or phone call, still no way to pay - my guess is that Dublin just got some truck loads of cars, and they are dancing through the paperwork as fast as they can. But this time at least the car matches my order - we'll see on Sunday.

My order was placed 1/30/2020, but my account says order date was 12/9/20 which is when they corrected their most recent erroneous configuration change.

Anyway, your suggestion of pestering them appears to have worked for me.

I gather you are still waiting. I hope I didn't steal your car! But your 10/17 order date (if memory serves) should get you a vehicle soon.

It does look like Tesla has recently sent a bunch to N. Calif. As 12/31/2020 approaches, I would guess that cars will be flooding CA to make quick deliveries for the quarter end.

Our "wall connector" garage charger was installed last month, and is just waiting patiently for a car to charge. Soon, we hope.

SW

Reactions: marines310
m-310,

Today, Fri 12/11 my account page shows a VIN. (The third VIN in my saga.) Later today day a delivery appointment appeared on my account for this Sun 12/13. Still no email or phone call, still no way to pay - my guess is that Dublin just got some truck loads of cars, and they are dancing through the paperwork as fast as they can. But this time at least the car matches my order - we'll see on Sunday.

My order was placed 1/30/2020, but my account says order date was 12/9/20 which is when they corrected their most recent erroneous configuration change.

I gather you are still waiting. I hope I didn't steal your car! But your 10/17 order date (if memory serves) should get you a vehicle soon.

It does look like Tesla has recently sent a bunch to N. Calif. As 12/31/2020 approaches, I would guess that cars will be flooding CA to make quick deliveries for the quarter end.

Our "wall connector" garage charger was installed last month, and is just waiting patiently for a car to charge. Soon, we hope.

SW

Hey very happy for you and your new car! Hope things go well all the way through to your pickup! Please do share how your saga goes! You deserve it!

As for me, I'm still confident my car is in the works so no worries! :)

m-310,

SW
They should give you free FSD for waiting almost a year for your car!! I personally wouldn’t have waited that long to get your car. I would have bugged them after the 2nd month of not seeing any changes to my account.

Orange County, Ca here:

Originally ordered 9/23: AWD/White/White/20” Induction Wheels/Tow/FSD. Delayed delivery until at least December 1st.

Modified order on 12/2: AWD/Red/White/20” Induction Wheels/Tow/FSD. Finally have an estimated delivery of 12/12 - 12/29. No VIN yet.