Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camping Trailer Selection for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a P3 actually. I haven't gone on my trip yet but the manual suggests starting at 6 and adjusting from there. I plan on figuring out the optimal setting after picking up the camper.
Just curious because of the atypical regen. braking vs ICE TV. I was wondering if it would be more difficult sensing the electric brake of the trailer engaging to determine a correct setting.

Airstream has officially released their version of the Basecamp today (at least according to the email they sent me). Looks great. I still prefer the Alto for space, aerodynamics, and weight, but this is a solid looking addition to the Airstream line.

Basecamp - Airstream
I just saw the Airstream Basecamp at the Pomona RV show this past week. I was disappointed. Sparse interior, only sleeps two. No dinette. Heavy in comparison to what I saw later...

I was impressed by the Hymer Eriba trailers at the show. Supposedly these are popular in Europe for decades, and they are releasing them early next year. Great layout, very light, separate sleeping and dinette spaces. Lots of windows. Overall, fantastic little trailers. It doesn't seem like they've got their U.S. website set up for these trailers, but here's the Europe site, Highlights .

And the one Iiked the most is this, Layouts & Data .

• Informative
Reactions: pl804 and ohmman
I was impressed by the Hymer Eriba trailers at the show. Supposedly these are popular in Europe for decades, and they are releasing them early next year
Dave, thanks for the info. I had not heard of that company. By "releasing them early next year" I assume you mean that the company will start selling in the US for the first time?

I scanned through the various models they offer. Quite a few choices. Lightweight, just less than 2,000 lbs dry. Interesting.

I recently had an opportunity to view this trailer, the Safari Condo "Alto" Safari Condo . It was mentioned earlier in this thread. It is much lighter, but smaller than many of the Eriba models.

I think it is likely to be more aerodynamic than the Eriba, however not as roomy inside as most of the Eriba models.

Last edited:
I was impressed by the Hymer Eriba trailers at the show.
Dave, these are really nice - thanks for posting.

They do not appear to be quite as light as the Alto (900-1400kg running weight is about 2000-3000lbs.) They also don't have the aerodynamic characteristics of a teardrop. In the tradeoff, however, you get a more luxurious looking interior, more effective space, and a better bathroom option. My wife pointed out that the wood veneers ("Trentino Pear Tree?") are probably best if they're plastic, especially since they cover the interior of the bathroom/shower space. She also pointed out that those types of finishes are prone to chipping and showing age, compared to the more spartan/modern finish in the Alto.

I definitely think the Eribas join the Altos on the short list of reasonable camping trailers for the X. For me, range/weight/aerodynamics trump a lot of other comforts, so I continue to lean toward the Alto. But as @JimVandegriff has been so kind to share, even a 22' Airstream Sport, at 3600 lbs dry (and up to 4500 lbs loaded) can be successfully towed around the country in a Model X. So if you value space and comfort more than travel convenience over long distances, or if you just plan to take quick day trips to camp, there are quite a few more options available.

You can't get over Donner Pass from the Rocklin side towing the Bambi (unless you slow charge overnight half way up). I'm not even sure it's possible with the Bowlus (2300 lbs dry) using a 90 kWh pack; I'll be attempting it later this month.

It's an optional item. Check out the brochure PDF.
Thanks, I see it now at the very bottom of this long PDF file https://www.eriba.com/en/models/caravans/eriba-touring/layouts-and-data.html?pdf

The website has no link to "view options" or anything like that, you really have to search for that infomation.

Starting at 900kg (1,980 lbs) the Eriba trailers are heavier than the Alto starting at 1,683 lbs. But the lightest Eriba trailer model doesn't have a bathroom, whereas the Alto trailers all do. And the lightest Eriba model with a bathroom does not have separate sleeping and dining areas, but the Alto trailers all do.

It seems like the GO trailer is just a tent on a trailer. I am not sure it justifies the loss of range since you could fit the same size tent in the frunk with no loss of range. As far as other equipment, I can put two bikes on a One-Up trailer with almost no loss of range. For me a trailer has offer more than the GO to be worth it.

Reactions: ohmman
The Eriba trailers also appear to be less expensive than the Alto when converting directly from EUR to USD. That's probably underestimating import pricing, but it's all I have to go on.
Yes I noticed that as well, but as you note US prices will surely be significantly higher since there will be shipping costs and an additional markup for US dealers and service and support.

The other thing I noticed that the Alto offers that apparently is not available on the Eriba is solar panels. I suppose that solar panels could be added to an Eriba but I was disappointed that a German manufacturer did not think to offer a solar option, considering how common solar panels are in Germany.

I just went to the Pomona RV show for the 4th time today in the past 10 days. Talked with more folks about the Eriba. And will share more info and pics when I get home.

But overall, super impressed. They will be doing heavy customization for the U.S. models which will be built in Canada. Price will be slightly under $30k for the top Eriba Touring 550. Base model of course. It's hard to believe but the Eriba 550 will sleep two adults (queen bed) and two children (dinette converts to full bed). Everything is geniously laid out.

There will be option for solar. They're adding a shower curtain to the bathroom for showering. They're increasingly fresh water tank capacity. There will be option for an air conditioner but only for a hard top model (no pop-out).

Most disappointing thing though is the frig is tiny. Can barely fit stuff.

Last edited:
uLuSJmn.jpg

RhT6L5G.jpg

EMsYpEW.jpg

ZuGnvIn.jpg

liYIXPv.jpg

CK9eN0U.jpg

4sLerzW.jpg

7ZIjBYx.jpg

BnFe8gF.jpg

UQjvy2z.jpg

I've uploaded some more images here, Hymer Eriba Touring 550 at Pomona RV Show (10/16/16)

The pictures above were for the Hymer Eriba Touring 550 Model, the largest one. This one is imported from Europe and is a display model. They will be making customizations and then making the trailers in Canada. First deliveries slated for Feb/March 2017. They're taking $1000 deposits to hold a place in line. It seems like they're going to be using their existing Roadtrek dealer network to sell these.

Dave, thanks for the additional info and look forward to more. Amazed that the base price of the top model will be under US$30K. Really glad to hear that there will be a solar option.

Do you know a capacity number for the fridge? The Alto fridge is either 3.7 or 3.1 liter capacity.

Don't know the fridge capacity, but it's tiny. I posted a pic. It's not very deep either.

Overall, I really like the unit. It's got a ton of windows, on every side. It's got a lot of storage, all along the top of the unit. Surprisingly, it can sleep 2 adults and 2 children... quite amazing for such a small trailer. And every little detail has been thought out on this trailer. One example, is that there are two shades for every window - one a see through wind screen, and the other a blackout shade. And it just works. One can tell that this design has been refined over many years (they've been selling these for decades in Europe and there's a big following there).

Another thing about this is from what I can gather, it's super easy to hitch and unhitch. Most people are saying it takes just a few minutes (at most) to hitch. The hitch is very simple. The brakes are mechanical and not electrical (when the trailer presses against the tow vehicle, it uses that force to apply brakes on the trailer). Supposedly, the trailer is very easy to tow. Even though this model is heavier than the Alto (Safari Condo), I wouldn't be surprised if one got better range with this trailer.

I think though this kind of trailer is better for short (or maybe medium) long trips. For long trips and full-time living, I think most would prefer a larger trailer like an Airstream.

On another note, I heard that they might offer an option to run the AC off of lithium batteries. But this might be an option they release later. It's basically the Roadtrek team that's customizing these trailers for the U.S., and Roadtrek and their "Ecotrek" module that is a battery and inverter system that powers their Class B vans so that people don't need generators. They might offer this Ecotrek module (battery/inverter) as an option for these trailers, along with solar panels. All of this would be very cool and might allow someone to "dry dock" (ie., camp and even run the AC without hooking up to electricity).

Dave, thanks for all the photos and your comments about the Eriba. It is a really nice looking trailer and the quality of the interior looks excellent. It certainly does offer a lot of storage.
Don't know the fridge capacity, but it's tiny. I posted a pic. It's not very deep either
That fridge looks slightly larger than the 3.7 liter fridge in the Safari Alto trailer that I saw recently.
Supposedly, the trailer is very easy to tow. Even though this model is heavier than the Alto (Safari Condo), I wouldn't be surprised if one got better range with this trailer.
And here is where I begin to disagree with you. The Eriba Touring 550 is 576cm L x 226cm H x 210cm W. The Alto is 526cm L x 211cm H x 211cm W. Both of those heights are with the roof lowered/closed, so the Eriba is 6" taller. The Alto is a teardrop shape and almost 400 lbs lighter (of course it is 50cm shorter overall). While I am not an aerodynamic expert, my guess is that the Alto will require signfiicantly less energy to tow. But no way to know for sure without real world data which we don't have yet.

The Eriba trailer that appears to most closely match the Alto in size and weight is the Touring 430 model at 528cm L x 226cm H x 200cm W, dry weight 1,762 lbs (my apologies for interspersing metric and imperial units). Its advantages over the Alto are more storage -- including an actual clothes "closet" -- and a fully enclosed bathroom. Those are real advantages. The disadvantages in my view are that the Eriba appears to be less aerodynamic, there is no ceiling fan (the Alto has a ceiling fan as standard) the interior is darker than the Alto with the roof raised, the double bed is oriented along the short axis of the trailer so one person has to climb over the other person to get out of bed in the middle of the night (hey, I'm over 60 ;), no place for a microwave (the Alto has an optional microwave) and no outside shower (the Alto R-1723 comes with an exterior shower which my wife and I really like). Yesterday I would have also listed as a disadvantage the lack of a solar power option but you have now learned that Roadtrek may be offering solar panels on the Eriba, which is great! That is an essential feature for me and something that is available on the Alto as an option.

Obviously if the Alto doesn't offer enough interior space and storage for your needs than it's not a good choice for you. But the greater size and weight and less aerodynamic shape of the Eriba make me wonder if the real-world EV towing range will be adequate.

Last edited: