Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camping Trailer Selection for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got Vin on April 19, got all from DS to expect mid june delivery. I will try to tow my 16' bambi as soon as get the car.

From what my research, it only gives about half milage when towing, so that is about 100is miles when charged 90% full for a 90d. We have to plan the distination within 100 miles. I plan to charge tesla at the campground over night. Usually RV park has 4 outlet, see photo below
RV Park Supplies

Airstreem use a 30 Amp (TT30R) plug. I can plug tesla to the 50 apm nema 14-50 at the same time.
Speed very much effects towing efficiency, if you towed at 55(90hm/h) (legal towing speed limit in many jurisdictions and usually tire speed rating) I doubt you would come close to using 2x the energy.

Can I ask a dumb question please? If I didn't order the towing package, can I get it after delivery?? Merci beaucoup

According to another thread, deliveries to date for cars without Towing package have still received the 2" receiver hitch and found the 7 wire trailer wiring plug under the closeout panel. It's not clear whether they have wiring for trailer brakes.

Someone on that thread said the DS told them they were good for 3500# trailers but didn't have the reinforced structure for 5000#. All second/third hand, so I can't vouch for any of it. :)

Here's the thread:

Towing without the Towing Package

I am itching to hear details on the trailer, the towing situation, consumption, etc. Any details you can give are appreciated. The Alto is my top choice, but since I live in California, it's a long stretch to take delivery in Canada.
I also like the Alto. We even got to see one version in Portland last summer, but it is a long drive to get one from here on the left coast. I'm still debating.

This is a great discussion guys. Some of my most favourite times growing up are when we went in our travel trailer.

I have been plotting through websites and I wonder if any of you have seen a trailer with the capacity for two adults and four smaller children suitable for towing with the Model X? I expect they can bunk together as we did, but it's kind of hard to visualize from the websites.

Thanks,

Jon

For anyone else considering the Alto, here is what I received back after my inquiry:

First of all we would like to thank you for the interest you have shown for our products. We have been selling to United States for 3 years and we can now provide you with purchasing information such as pricing and available options. We have units sold in AK , AL, AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IL, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MT, NC. NH, NJ, NY, NM, OH, OR, PN , SC, TN , TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WI.
Warranty work at distance is something we have been handling for over 16 years yet. We have built class B RV since 1998 and most customer travel across Canada and USA. So we have gathered some sort of experience.
Procedures to purchase an Alto travel trailer.
As of now, all purchases will have to be done directly through the manufacturer in Canada. You can see the Alto in our show room (address below) near Québec City. Or in your area if there is already an Alto owner. If interested, please send me your address and phone number that I will pass over to that this Alto owner could contact you.
By the same token, I would like to inform you that we are a small business and that there may be ordering delays due to our production capacity for this unique high quality product. Present lead time is August 2017.
Prices will be final when you will sign a contract. There is no discount on our products since you buy directly from the manufacturer. Pricing is in Canadian dollars.
The factor that may affect pricing is of course the options you will be selecting. As far as Canadian taxes, never mind these, they are not applicable to US residents. Brokerage fees are 750 $.
You will pay local taxes when you register the unit in USA. We will provide you with Québec province temporary plating that will allow you to drive home with it (10 calendar days). You have to get insurance coverage on your own.

So, next step is to let me know which options you wish to add on. I will then send you an estimate. From there, we will fine tune your needs and proceed towards the sale contract.
We will ask a 7,000$ deposit with the order.

• Informative
Reactions: Jon and Canuck
For anyone else considering the Alto, here is what I received back after my inquiry:

Hey Ohmman,

I live right on the other side of the Peace Arch border crossing:

Google Maps

If it's easier for you to ship it to my house, and pick it up and drive it down south from here, rather than having to go all the way back east, just PM me and I would be more than pleased to help out. I have covered RV parking so space is not an issue. There's also lot of customs brokers in Blaine, WA that will handle the transfer to the US for that $750 fee they have quoted you above.

• Love
Reactions: ohmman
We are also eyeing a 16 ft airstream Bambi. I'm sure any info you can share about your experiences with it will be helpful (range, wh/mile while towing, destination experiences, the towing experience, etc.) Thanks.
We're are planning on towing our 16 ft Bambi with the Model X. It seems quite a heavy trailer (2,825 lbs) and I'm a bit concerned considering I can feel the load even when pulling with a GMC diesel truck. I'd expect to loose significant range but I'll post as soon as we do a test trip.

Anyone on here own this combo, seen in Victoria parade? (sorry for the double post, also posted in Model -X random sightings)

xqh-IdwrbnSea6QDhPQAopqOjgweTSIJA5z4YkRyxfcTTPGvL0ogxj3sqkzY63PzI0LpMFw36oMlVPaVhHjNz7zq6zpChedJW2Z5iEDr9Pyc24p1F2n_Gor3FDrBnZdgn3xjs5KWcvTpno8vq-t0Klg8ce7JygC3ezw77pcX6jAP6aM7YzQko-NJhSiglpMe7faCx44iwuX4geVxLVTMV_BjWlNNe8jqy_2WgkeLhe5ACh2qASQDzMUlOyftuW9iUwtQYSOq3EsddlBPmZnYJRwzjB66RjP8nX4mWX7vpk1lCCxbXU4OlzNXjDC5GNE9P-5RtnXqVibSIZCdo8jqgwmcad4rNUEh4N9PXh7AjmarlRoYekeyOuI81Co22hoJEeJiJ68rYk9K1ec5bjT06lUCAFXKK2AUsZdCWRooc8Gg9y0ZgzjRpInjlCMiLx15NRFky_Mj6GNLmrbE01IA-jIoBBiYzxLzM82PmogiatXFWtwZm0bbNc8Cra5z5TKFb2WOfDbYIt59bd3rknJk8d2FQDyxjbIRPneXfFD-zaDkeL7B1wGj56QsCunKii6EStykYaixvQuWLY1A--Q_kIpvML70Q-KK=w1300-h731-no