Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can a good safety score be ‘paused’?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I‘m getting tired of driving for points, I’m currently at 98 with over 700 miles In 12 days. Realistically that score is far more likely to go down than up with more miles under scrutiny. Has anyone come up with a way to stay on the list for beta without further mileage counting?

Tesla has never said that it would prioritize more mileage scores. It has repeatedly said the score of 100 would go first.

I don't know what Tesla wants so it's just a guess, an experiment if you just want to park your car and seal the score in.

Reactions: K5TRX
Just reboot/reset your Tesla by holding two scroll wheels for a couple a seconds before ending your trip. Your trip will not be recorded and your score won’t change.
So from now until all the 98’s get fsd-b, I can drive normally but reboot before I get back to wifi, and any future dings won’t count against my 98?
I hope that’s true, I don’t want to drop out but this feels like a permanent driving test, it sucks the fun right out of driving

I'm going to test opt-ing out before a drive, and then opt-ing back in after a drive.
Wait a second. Your technique won't work. If I understand you correctly, you are not "opting out" and then back in. By resetting, you will be simply clearing out that one drive. And best to do it BEFORE getting out of the car since it doesn't need Wifi to report the results of the drive. It uses cellular and reports very quickly after your drive. Maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean.

So from now until all the 98’s get fsd-b, I can drive normally but reboot before I get back to wifi, and any future dings won’t count against my 98?
I hope that’s true, I don’t want to drop out but this feels like a permanent driving test, it sucks the fun right out of driving
Yeap. If you want to game the system this isthe way. This is a bug I figured out by myself. I am pretty sure Tesla will patch it soon. Or they might figure this out from your unusual reboot logs. Not sure. Take your own risk 😁

I don’t suggest you to do this. You may lose all of your trip records. Rebooting just deletes the last trip record before its is registered to the Tesla servers.
That's actually what I was hoping the first time I tested it.

But, no dice. It simply brought my score back when I re-enabled it.

My score is being dragged down by the first day with it when I went for a normal drive to see what I'd score. That turned out to be a bad idea as I scored like 82 over 40+ miles. Then I went on vacation for a week so there wasn't time to get back to 100. Oops.

I've love to reset and go back to 0 miles for the safety score. The only way I see that happening is after 30 days from the first day.

Wait a second. Your technique won't work. If I understand you correctly, you are not "opting out" and then back in. By resetting, you will be simply clearing out that one drive. And best to do it BEFORE getting out of the car since it doesn't need Wifi to report the results of the drive. It uses cellular and reports very quickly after your drive. Maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean.

Why won't my suggestion work in theory?

You have to opt-in for the data collection to happen. In fact this might be governed by laws in some jurisdictions.

So if I opt-out before I go on a drive then the data for that drive shouldn't be collected right?

After the drive I can opt back in.

Now sure I lose my spot in the queue, but it looks like Tesla is going off Safety Score for the rating versus a persons position in the queue.

Whether my solution works or the reset solution works best depends on a persons situations.

My prediction is my suggestion will work, but then Tesla will smarten up and they'll throw everyone that does it out of the beta. Haha. I've already done it once so I'm safe to play with it. I don't advise anyone else to do it before I verify that it will work.

I agree it should work. And it's easily testable. Opt out, drive a few miles, park your car and get out, check your trips for the day in the app. They get uploaded immediately when you get out of the car (putting in park and removing your sear belt is not enough). Then opt-in and again verify your original score is back and yout short ride NOT recorded.

You have to opt-in for the data collection to happen. In fact this might be governed by laws in some jurisdictions.

So if I opt-out before I go on a drive then the data for that drive shouldn't be collected right?

Now sure I lose my spot in the queue, but it looks like Tesla is going off Safety Score for the rating versus a persons position in the queue.

Whether my solution works or the reset solution works best depends on a persons situations.

My prediction is my suggestion will work, but then Tesla will smarten up and they'll throw everyone that does it out of the beta. Haha. I've already done it once so I'm safe to play with it. I don't advise anyone else to do it before I verify that it will work.
I don’t think this works because Safety Score verbiage is just an insurance tool that measures 30 days, but the FSD beta evaluation period verbiage says 7 days from pushing the button. In other words, your Tesla app cumulative safety score will no longer reflect what Tesla is using to evaluate since it’s still using the rolling 30 days score. But for FSD beta Tesla is probably using rolling 7 days from whenever you last pushed the button to join. But, who knows 🤷🏻‍♂️

I don’t think this works because Safety Score verbiage is just an insurance tool that measures 30 days, but the FSD beta evaluation period verbiage says 7 days from pushing the button. In other words, your Tesla app cumulative safety score will no longer reflect what Tesla is using to evaluate since it’s still using the rolling 30 days score. But for FSD beta Tesla is probably using rolling 7 days from whenever you last pushed the button to join. But, who knows 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'd pretty happy with just getting rid of the first days 82 or whatever it was.

I just have to make sure to go 7 days without doing the opt-out and out-in cycle.

hmmmm, I guess I am not understanding what you mean by "Opt In" or how you are opting in or out.

hmmmm, I guess I am not understanding what you mean by "Opt In" or how you are opting in or out.

On that dialog page for the FSD Beta Early access request is an Opt-In where you have to agree to data collection, and other terms.

At any time you can Opt Out by pushing the Opt Out button on that page.

By Opting out you are removed from queue for the FSD Beta, and you should no longer have your driving data collected as you no longer consent to it.

Once you've opted out you can at any time choose to Opt in by simply going back to it, and pressing Opt In.

On that dialog page for the FSD Beta Early access request is an Opt-In where you have to agree to data collection, and other terms.

At any time you can Opt Out by pushing the Opt Out button on that page.

By Opting out you are removed from queue for the FSD Beta, and you should no longer have your driving data collected as you no longer consent to it.

Once you've opted out you can at any time choose to Opt in by simply going back to it, and pressing Opt In.
Ok, I see what you mean. One thing to keep in mind though is that selection of drivers is not based on score alone as people are led to believe. Thus, opting out and back in to reset your percent to 100% will also remove your previous miles. Thanks for your clarification.

• Informative
Reactions: KrenGrl
Ok, I see what you mean. One thing to keep in mind though is that selection of drivers is not based on score alone as people are led to believe. Thus, opting out and back in to reset your percent to 100% will also remove your previous miles. Thanks for your clarification.
Opting out and back in does not reset the percentage to 100%, and it doesn't remove the previous miles.

I've already opted out and back in so I know that doesn't happen. At the time my main motivation was trying to wipe off the score/miles of my first drive with it as I got a terrible score (I wanted to see what I'd score when driving a curvy road to a place I like going to).

What I haven't tried is the full cycle of opting out -> Going for a drive -> opting in -> checking safety score

Now obviously it won't count miles while opted out, and opting out could reset where a person is in the queue. We also know that Elon will change the selection criteria without warning so opting-out/in doesn't come without risks. There is also the potential that you can only opt-in/out so many times before the button self destructs (this is what I'd do if I implemented it).

But, it's probably the best solution for someone who has a spouse that will mess up the score, or is going to the track.

Opting out and back in does not reset the percentage to 100%, and it doesn't remove the previous miles.

I've already opted out and back in so I know that doesn't happen. At the time my main motivation was trying to wipe off the score/miles of my first drive with it as I got a terrible score (I wanted to see what I'd score when driving a curvy road to a place I like going to).

What I haven't tried is the full cycle of opting out -> Going for a drive -> opting in -> checking safety score

Now obviously it won't count miles while opted out, and opting out could reset where a person is in the queue. We also know that Elon will change the selection criteria without warning so opting-out/in doesn't come without risks. There is also the potential that you can only opt-in/out so many times before the button self destructs (this is what I'd do if I implemented it).

But, it's probably the best solution for someone who has a spouse that will mess up the score, or is going to the track.
ok, got it. Something must have changed. The wife opted out last week and it removed her mileage after going back in.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: KrenGrl and EVNow