Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Auto Wipers Learn?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was out driving my 22 M3 LR in a rain storm a couple of nights ago. I was mainly on back streets doing about 25 - 30 MPH, no Auto Pilot involvement. It was windy and the rain was steady when wipers came on. They were going too fast for my taste and after awhile I switched them to the lowest manual setting. About 10 minutes later, I decided to set them on auto again. This time they came on and the wiper speed was right where I like it. Wiper speed increased when the rain intensified but never went faster than I would have set it manually under the same conditions.

The wipers performed very well for the rest the trip. I'm not sure what to make of this; probably just some coincidence, but it almost seemed as if the wipers adjusted to my preferences. Is that possible?

I really hope that is the case.

Here in SoCal, the rain is inconsistent - often ranging from hard to barely there. For me, Auto is almost always too fast. Even the slowest manual setting is sometimes too fast. I never had this problem with my BMW before - there were enough speed steps to always find a comfortable setting.

I wish Tesla would update the firmware to a slider. I've never been able to get a speed that's maybe one wipe every 15 seconds. Slowest manual seems to be once every 5 seconds.

I don't believe there's any "learning" taking place with the automatic wipers. It's just inconsistent behavior. It seems that Tesla have given up trying to improve them, too, since I haven't seen any notable change (improvement) in their behavior since I got my car at the end of 2020. I think it's just a limitation of their vision-based wiper system and trying to save a buck by not putting in an IR sensor like every single other manufacturer users.

Reactions: Kimmi
They were going too fast for my taste and after awhile I switched them to the lowest manual setting. About 10 minutes later, I decided to set them on auto again. This time they came on and the wiper speed was right where I like it.
Yeah, I've experienced this phenomenon as well (though not always). It is not a learning thing, but I wonder what does trigger the change.

Tesla needs to really calibrate how it reads the amount of rain/dust that is on our windshield. It keeps coming on whenever I use autopilot even though (to me) the windshield looks clean. Note sure how Tesla expects these cameras to function as the sole autopilot sensor (no LIDAR) when I keep getting notices that my pillar cameras, front cameras, and rear are all obstructed.

Reactions: freeAgent
My auto wipers are terrible. They go to max speed when standing still in a drizzle, and then go intermittent when driving on the freeway in heavy rain. Sometimes they wipe, and do so repeatedly, in completely dry, sunny conditions. None of my last few non-Tesla cars acted this way. Did Elon try to save money by not paying for a patent?

I too have experienced excessively fast wipers for minimal rain. very annoying..sensors don't seem to know how much it is raining. wish there was an update for the auto sense speed/level...end up having to put wipers on level one and then increase as needed.

My car errs on the side of conservative. Water builds up on the windshield until I have to force a wiper swipe with a quick-push on the end of the left stalk. Seems to me, software-wise that would be the easiest learning the car could perform: “Hey this guy has forced a wipe 10 times in the last 2 minutes, maybe I (auto-wiper) should be a little bit less conservative about starting the wipers up…”

Reactions: angel
Tesla needs to really calibrate how it reads the amount of rain/dust that is on our windshield. It keeps coming on whenever I use autopilot even though (to me) the windshield looks clean. Note sure how Tesla expects these cameras to function as the sole autopilot sensor (no LIDAR) when I keep getting notices that my pillar cameras, front cameras, and rear are all obstructed.

Pillar cameras obstructed I see frequently at night when I'm out in the country. I don't think they are obstructed as much as there is just not enough light to see anything.